Encourage me :(

acapella
acapella
04/18/2006 3:34 am
Well, we practiced tonight. Turns out we SUCK. I always knew we sucked but not this bad. We really are damn awful. We can't play together. We can't sing. We suck at everything. I don't know what we're going to do, I mean, we are REALLY bad. And now we have, like, gigs and junk coming up. I don't know if any amount of practice will prepare us. Because we are AWFUL. So bad it hurts. It makes me want to cry, it's so hopeless. Anybody else ever find that their band sucks really bad? Did you get over it? You get better right?

...right?
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/18/2006 3:37 am
Of course man no one starts at the top. Keep practicing it'll come together. You have to want it though.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
04/18/2006 3:38 am
that attitude won't help ;) of course you get better....i don't think practice made anyone worse. giving up will doom any band (duh :rolleyes: )is it the music or ability that sucks or both??
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 3
acapella
acapella
04/18/2006 3:40 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpthat attitude won't help ;) of course you get better....i don't think practice made anyone worse. giving up will doom any band (duh :rolleyes: )is it the music or ability that sucks or both??

I won't say it's the music that's too blame, just our ability to play it, or lack thereof.
# 4
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
04/18/2006 3:46 am
that attitude won't help ;) of course you get better....i don't think practice made anyone worse. giving up will doom any band (duh :rolleyes: )is it the music or ability that sucks or both??
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 5
stackny
stackny
04/18/2006 3:50 am
You know, when giraffes give birth, the mother just drops the baby straight out, and thats a long way down. Sometimes, you have to be that baby droppin out as your first introduction to Earth.

Now, theres 2 things wrong with this comment I just made:
A) I dont know if giraffes actually just drop their young "straight out."
B) I have no idea what application could possibly be made between this giraffe story and your current problem.

So, when the day is over, hear this: You still arent as stupid and ignorant as I am and I assume you still have all your limbs. So its all good.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 6
acapella
acapella
04/18/2006 3:53 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyYou know, when giraffes give birth, the mother just drops the baby straight out, and thats a long way down. Sometimes, you have to be that baby droppin out as your first introduction to Earth.

Now, theres 2 things wrong with this comment I just made:
A) I dont know if giraffes actually just drop their young "straight out."
B) I have no idea what application could possibly be made between this giraffe story and your current problem.

So, when the day is over, hear this: You still arent as stupid and ignorant as I am and I assume you still have all your limbs. So its all good.

I'll just pretend it's meaningful. You have to grab life by the horns, right? Just do it, that kind of thing? Life sucks, do it anyway? Whatever. Listening to good music is depressing me now.
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/18/2006 4:10 am
Originally Posted by: stackny ... So, when the day is over, hear this: You still arent as stupid and ignorant as I am and I assume you still have all your limbs. So its all good.

LMFAO!!! Brilliant! :D

... and what's more - he's right! :cool:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/18/2006 5:48 am
We all get musicians' block, and the best thing for it is to put down the instruments for a while and take a break. Your problem may simply be that you've been working too hard on the band, and your concentration is lapsing. Take some time off, focus your energies on something that relaxes or inspires you. When you get back to playing, you'll have the magic back.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 9
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
04/18/2006 6:14 am
are u familiar withthe song? or did u just take one of the suggestions made from the guys here? if so the song might be totally new to you and ur not as familiar and comfortable with it...take a few breaks try to get the timimng right...as for singing i think it just needs pratice...dont give up yet mate cmon!..you can also try playing along with the song first i think...

just my 2 cents!
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 10
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/18/2006 12:47 pm
The more time you worry about how much you suck, the less time you worry about getting better.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 11
acapella
acapella
04/18/2006 3:25 pm
Well I'm not feeling so bad about it now. I was listening to old Nirvana demos and we aren't much worse than that. We'll just keep practicing, it'll work out. :)
# 12
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/18/2006 3:29 pm
Yeah, that practice was pretty bad. I'm already feeling better about it though. We tape recorded it, and some of it was pretty good. I made up this one part for a song, and with drums it is darn cool.
# 13
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/18/2006 4:32 pm
Good musicianship is just like everything else. Takes time and practice.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 14
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
04/18/2006 5:35 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellaWell I'm not feeling so bad about it now. I was listening to old Nirvana demos and we aren't much worse than that. We'll just keep practicing, it'll work out. :)

Set your standards higher than that. :)

# 15
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
04/18/2006 7:23 pm
You're alway's going to have "off" days, but what's bad is when the whole band has "off" days. Trust me, I know how frustraiting it can be. All I can say is, keep your head up, and try not to get discouraged so easily. Having a band takes work. You all have to help each other, be open with each other, and learn from each other. A big part is learning how to play with each other. This is done by everybody actually learning their parts of the songs, and you also need to learn each others musical personality/character. But, sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you just can't click with each other. I have a friend who playes the drums, and we click very well with each other. When we're jamming, I can usually feel where he's about to go with things, and he can usually do the same with me. It takes more than just two people in the band clicking to make things work though. When we were a full band, me and him clicked well with each other, our other guitarist clicked pretty good with us too, but not as smoothly. The bass player and the singer were just off in their own little worlds though. It didn't matter where we took the song, they weren't going to try to follow us, or catch up, or anything. They cared about themselfs, and that was it. As far as they were concerened, they were the band. Needless to say, things didn't work out.

Ok, that's enough rambling for now. I'm sure ya'll will get into your own groove eventually. It just takes time and practice ;)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 16
acapella
acapella
04/18/2006 7:29 pm
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PRSplaya again.

Thanks for that, it actually is pretty much what I was thinking but you need to hear it sometimes.
# 17
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
04/18/2006 7:49 pm
Things will get better if you guys stick with it. The first major step is making sure your drummer can keep time, it's all downhill fro, there.

I definately get depressed about my band. We're a decent band. It's just things like my bass player and drummers constant pot haze, and my keyboard players gay lyrics that I'm embarassed to back up with music, this is funny since my drummer wins all kinds of writing contests, yet never writes for us. :(

So, it's rough all over (outsiders allusion ;) ), but once you play your first show, I guarantee (sp?) that you guys will be so pumped that you can't wait for your next gig.

Take a deep breath...watch My Name is Earl...And play me some f@#$&*! ROCK AND ROLL!
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 18
acapella
acapella
04/18/2006 7:55 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyThings will get better if you guys stick with it. The first major step is making sure your drummer can keep time, it's all downhill fro, there.

I definately get depressed about my band. We're a decent band. It's just things like my bass player and drummers constant pot haze, and my keyboard players gay lyrics that I'm embarassed to back up with music, this is funny since my drummer wins all kinds of writing contests, yet never writes for us. :(

So, it's rough all over (outsiders allusion ;) ), but once you play your first show, I guarantee (sp?) that you guys will be so pumped that you can't wait for your next gig.

Take a deep breath...watch My Name is Earl...And play me some f@#$&*! ROCK AND ROLL!

AMEN BROTHER! Okay, you guys win. I say we keep at it and kick some ass! We have it, we just need to work some and we'll be great. I love you guys! Rep for everyone! (unless I have to spread it)
# 19
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
04/18/2006 8:00 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellaAMEN BROTHER! Okay, you guys win. I say we keep at it and kick some ass! We have it, we just need to work some and we'll be great. I love you guys! Rep for everyone! (unless I have to spread it)

I love the hell out of you. :D
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.