Earthman Buck plays music? Say wha?!

earthman buck
earthman buck
04/05/2006 1:44 am
I just finished uploading some of my songs onto soundclick. If you like soft, mildly hypnotic, drone-y songs, you've come to the right place. Check it out.

Go on. Don't be shy.

That Richmond Hill song I was talking about earlier on some other thread is on there, and so is a song on mandolin I recorded just today. The mandolin one keeps skipping a little bit, so....sorry.

I'd like to hear what you think, whether you like 'em or hate 'em.
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
04/05/2006 2:16 am
ha, kinda weird stuff.

i do like the Richmond Hill one, cuz its just so weird its cool. annnnd im just half through it. this may take awhile.

(im working up from the bottom)

youve got some nice starts to tunes on here. very nice indeed, sir. cool ideas bouncing around up there. i like it.
just gotta look out for overloading the mic or whatever youre using and making it clip. computer speaker distortion=nasty.

other than that...

rock on!
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/05/2006 4:21 am
Awesome picture, Rockonn! Man, if I ever go high bandwidth, that's going to be my avatar.

Anyway, Earthman - that was some quite impressive stuff! Quite original - you've got a knack for the alternative. Are you, perchance, influenced by a weird British jazz-rock band called Henry Cow? Your work reminds me of them a little.
Well done overall.

Mandolin Song: This was a very good compositional idea - I like the way that the major chord fills suddenly come in over the minor lower-register progression. A timing glitch or two, but otherwise great.

That One Song With The Sounds: That's a great rhythm tone! Good chordal ideas, but the strumming was a little aggressive in parts.

Jebsley Sings: Dude, you built a dulcimer? Cool!
This sounded quite medieval - I can imagine it as the soundtrack for one of those old-school historical documentaries. :D

5-String Guitar: I really liked this, it was very Opeth/Promised Land-era Queensryche. Great work, considering you only had five strings to play with! Would sound even better with a smooth lead.

Ampy's Crying: Some would call this art! Seriously, it would make a great introduction to a quirky art-rock song

EAEBDD: Good, but too short! Build on it, man - you could turn it into something jazzy, by the sounds of it.

Richmond Hill: This is probably the best song, and the one that reminds me the most of Henry Cow. Really original, and well-arranged. The wah work at the beginning was nice; the dissonant keyboard harmony thingy was awesome; and after that, the idyllic little piano progression just sounded plain creepy! All you need to do is add some trippy vocals, and you've got a prog-rock opus on your hands, Sonny Jim. :D

Just out of curiosity, what did you use to record?
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/05/2006 3:33 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusAwesome picture, Rockonn! Man, if I ever go high bandwidth, that's going to be my avatar.

Anyway, Earthman - that was some quite impressive stuff! Quite original - you've got a knack for the alternative. Are you, perchance, influenced by a weird British jazz-rock band called Henry Cow? Your work reminds me of them a little.
Well done overall.

Mandolin Song: This was a very good compositional idea - I like the way that the major chord fills suddenly come in over the minor lower-register progression. A timing glitch or two, but otherwise great.

That One Song With The Sounds: That's a great rhythm tone! Good chordal ideas, but the strumming was a little aggressive in parts.

Jebsley Sings: Dude, you built a dulcimer? Cool!
This sounded quite medieval - I can imagine it as the soundtrack for one of those old-school historical documentaries. :D

5-String Guitar: I really liked this, it was very Opeth/Promised Land-era Queensryche. Great work, considering you only had five strings to play with! Would sound even better with a smooth lead.

Ampy's Crying: Some would call this art! Seriously, it would make a great introduction to a quirky art-rock song

EAEBDD: Good, but too short! Build on it, man - you could turn it into something jazzy, by the sounds of it.

Richmond Hill: This is probably the best song, and the one that reminds me the most of Henry Cow. Really original, and well-arranged. The wah work at the beginning was nice; the dissonant keyboard harmony thingy was awesome; and after that, the idyllic little piano progression just sounded plain creepy! All you need to do is add some trippy vocals, and you've got a prog-rock opus on your hands, Sonny Jim. :D

Just out of curiosity, what did you use to record?

The timing on the mandolin song screwed up as I was recording. On the playback, it kept skipping. I would've done it over again, but I really wanted to get it all in one live take, and I have a tendency to bugger things up on the very last chord.

On "That one song with the sounds," it sounds too distorted. The quieter part was using just the amp's distortion (turned really low), and the louder part was using my DS-1 along with the amp's distortion. My friend/drummer made up a really cool drums for it. As far as I'm concerned, they make the song.

Yeah, eaebdd is way too short. The only reason I left it that short was, again, because I wanted to get it in one take, and I always screw things up. It's still my favourite of my songs, though, especially since I'm pretty sure I invented that tuning.

Thanks for taking the time to listen, guys. I 'ppreciate it.

EDIT: Oh yeah. The recording question. For the electric guitar stuff, I just set up my mic in front of my amp, and plug the mic into the computer. For the acoustic guitar/mandolin/dulcimer stuff, I just play into the mic. All of these songs were recorded (and in the case of "Richmond Hill," mixed) using Wave Studio. The exception is the mandolin song, which I recorded on Audacity. It's about a billion times easier, and a billion times cooler.

EDIT #2: So, anybody else listen?
# 4
pure
pure
04/06/2006 1:13 am
richmond hill sounds so weird its awesome as hell. i was jamming over it a second ago as a backing track lol
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 5
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/06/2006 2:32 am
Originally Posted by: purerichmond hill sounds so weird its awesome as hell. i was jamming over it a second ago as a backing track lol

Really?! Wow! I take that as quite a compliment. Thank you!
# 6
Kutzki
Kutzki
04/06/2006 3:47 am
Hey man,
i liked your songs so much i will do my best to give you some constructive critisism so you can continue to bring music to my ears.
o ya and in advance, sorry if points i make someone already made them
ok
1-you gotta continue the songs. most of your songs consist of one bridge, and very good ones, but thats not a song. you gotta make them have more of a body ya know.
a song should just be - eyes or, lips. A song is like a chick, you dig?
2-i feel if you added words that would lead to a whole other demention of your song.
3-i feel solo's are important. if you ant a lead guitarist- check out george harrisons works with the beatles. simple but sick!
umm ya thats about it, rock on?
ya, rock on dude!
hope to see more songs posted man.
Peace out
Aaron
When it comes down to it, our guitar's will always be there for us. :rolleyes:
# 7
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/06/2006 6:19 am
Buy a noise gate. That background white-noise is driving me nutso.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 8
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/06/2006 3:58 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonBuy a noise gate. That background white-noise is driving me nutso.

How 'bouts you buy one for me?
# 9
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/06/2006 4:08 pm
Originally Posted by: KutzkiHey man,
i liked your songs so much i will do my best to give you some constructive critisism so you can continue to bring music to my ears.
o ya and in advance, sorry if points i make someone already made them
ok
1-you gotta continue the songs. most of your songs consist of one bridge, and very good ones, but thats not a song. you gotta make them have more of a body ya know.
a song should just be - eyes or, lips. A song is like a chick, you dig?
2-i feel if you added words that would lead to a whole other demention of your song.
3-i feel solo's are important. if you ant a lead guitarist- check out george harrisons works with the beatles. simple but sick!
umm ya thats about it, rock on?
ya, rock on dude!
hope to see more songs posted man.
Peace out
Aaron

I agree wholeheartedly with every single thing you've said. Now, my excuses.

1.) The reason they're so short is simply because I want to get them all recorded in one take, and 95% of the time, I screw up the last four notes, or something like that.

2.) The kind of lyrics I like songs to have are sort of poetic; lines that make you think. I have to pretty much write songs one line at a time, and I feel every single one has to be great. If I just gave it words off the top of my head, it would soil the song, and I'd never forgive myself for it. I guess what I'm saying is, I will give it words, but it'll be a while.

3.) I'm really not a lead guitarist at all, and I love how George Harrison plays simple stuff that sounds great. My problem is that I can't even hear solos in my head that would fit the song. All I can imagine is spacey feedback wailing over the song pattern, and I think we can all agree that that would be stupid if placed in every single song.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. I'm glad most of you like them. :)
# 10
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
04/06/2006 5:33 pm
I could see worshiping you as one of my indie gods.

# 11
rockonn91
rockonn91
04/06/2006 6:21 pm
and i worshipping you as the cult leader.

# 12
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/06/2006 7:29 pm
Wow, holly. That's the second best compliment I've ever been given.

The best one came from my cousin just the other day. I told her I had a soundclick site. She listened to my songs, then said "those are all good, but Richmond Hill is still my favourite. And when I say it's my favourite, I mean it's my favourite achievment in the history of music."
# 13
rockonn91
rockonn91
04/06/2006 9:36 pm
and i get no thanks for the cult comment?

come on. no respect. no respect at all.

# 14
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/06/2006 9:53 pm
Originally Posted by: rockonn91and i get no thanks for the cult comment?

come on. no respect. no respect at all.

I can't just go around thanking everyone. I'm not some sort of....gratitude slut.

Have a hug instead.

*hug*
# 15
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
04/06/2006 9:55 pm
I think my opinion is a little more honest (no offense).

I want that board game now.

# 16
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/06/2006 10:19 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollyI think my opinion is a little more honest (no offense).

I want that board game now.

None taken. I'm just glad anyone complimented me at all.

I'd prefer to play this game:

# 17
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
04/06/2006 10:44 pm
Really like ' Glitter Whore ', is that a Mexican Strat ?
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 18
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/07/2006 2:27 am
Originally Posted by: GramboReally like ' Glitter Whore ', is that a Mexican Strat ?

Nope. Chinese Squier strat.
# 19
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/07/2006 3:09 am
Glitter Whore is your best yet! :cool:
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.