Make hay while the sun shines

rightturnonly
Full Access
rightturnonly
Full Access
04/01/2006 9:15 pm
I have been playing a long time. Then suddenly my whole life changed.17 years ago I stopped playing in bands,& just when I was getting some place. You see I was greatfully given the responsibility of 2 beautiful girls > my daughters. I had no wife and did the best I could alone.Both girls of whom I am very proud of are attending college now. During that time I allways kept my hands on a guitar trying to hold on to what I had . I also survived cancer, minus a lung. During my bout with my health . I lost our house, and the house that I had for my mother caught on fire. Not long after (3 years?) my oldest went off to college. Then my younger daughter went of to college. I had to bring my mother home from a nursing home since she had been mistreated, and ther was no money to get her a better place. After some time she passed, Eyes open and in my arms.
I went out and bought a new amp and guitar. I participated in "Guitar Armeggodon" THE BLUES KING HA! I thought I might met some one to start playing and go from there, despite a decient performance this didn't happen.
All the players were so much younger. IS IT OVER? AM I DOOMED TO PLAY TO PRATICE TRACKS AND LOOKING FOR LESSON @GT.I may grow but there is no payoff, for me, unless I perform. Oh well. maybe I should join a 12 step group instead. :cool:
# 1
john waite
I'll Decide
john waite
I'll Decide
04/01/2006 9:54 pm
Dude!!! It's far from over.....I just turned fifty, and I've never played better then I do right now! Sure, there are plenty of younger players out there. So what. I play in two bands right now, and we play as much as we want to. Just get out there and find some open mic jams. You will be amazed at how many players are out there with the same goals as you. God gave us all the gift of guitar.....don't ignore it just because life handed you a bag of sh**. We all go through lifes challanges. Is there a big recording contract out there for you and me??? I doubt it. But that doesn't mean you can't still find ways to perform in front of thousands of people if you want to. We open for national acts all the time, when they pass throgh our area. I'll play a 90 minute set, get off stage and ice up a cold one, watching the show from backstage. And if I can do it, anyone can!!! I've opened for Dokken, Cinderella, Firehouse, Warrent, Molly Hatchet, Sammy Hagar( who was totally cool.....really interested in the local music scene!!) etc....Good luck to you my friend....plug in and wail!!!!
Hey, this doesn't mean I'm a bad person.......
# 2
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
04/01/2006 10:00 pm
Do what i do, immerse yourself in the music. listen, and pick out all the little things that make it great. Then you need to, maybe buy some books (learning styles of artists, scale and chord books, etc.). And practice that intensly. Write some songs and play the music from your heart (you have plenty of inspiration). and about the band/ performing things. Post some flyers or something, include age group, or maybe you could possibly try starting your own band centered around you. I dont know, but it sounds like you've earned your own band.

Just dont give up. good luck!
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 3
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
drf46
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/01/2006 10:04 pm
Keep on keepin on RTO.
# 4
rightturnonly
Full Access
rightturnonly
Full Access
04/01/2006 10:33 pm
I thank the players who have responded to my thread, post whatever. Each one of you made me feel better. I have searched for some open mike nights , without any luck. I have met afew who can talk up a storm and driven long distances to play with said, only to be disapointed. Blues is a tough road, I am far from limited to blues althought blues is where I come from & I allways return to them. I guess I'll just have to try harder to met people. You see I too am well over 50 and time seems short. Buy the way I live in North Miami, not exactly the blues center of the curcuit.
Tuesday night I'll return to see the finals of the Guitar contest, I'll try to get some numbers there, should be some players ther who may have heard me. Last week I asked a guy for his number, he had been talking to me all night.
Then he asked me if I drank, GOOD GRIEF Jonny b Goode. :rolleyes:
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.