Palm muting several strings while doing a up and down picking

>SaCreD_HEAD<
>SaCreD_HEAD<
07/06/2001 9:40 am
Is this possible ???hehe..
For instance If I`d like a qucik fear factory-kinda pattern but would like some more distortion than I can get with one string.. I`vw tried palm-muting two strings but tt`s so hard... Any tips?

>Sacred_HEAD< :eek:
# 1
&gt;SaCreD_HEAD&lt;
&gt;SaCreD_HEAD&lt;
07/06/2001 12:17 pm
Originally posted by >SaCreD_HEAD<
Is this possible ???hehe..
For instance If I`d like a qucik fear factory-kinda pattern but would like some more distortion than I can get with one string.. I`ve tried palm-muting two strings but tt`s so hard... Any tips?

>Sacred_HEAD< :eek:
# 2
rabbit
rabbit
07/12/2001 5:07 am
I think this is pretty standard technique - if I understand what you are trying to ask. Palm muting while playing across strings in alt picking mode? Listen to the opening riff of Ain't Talking About Love by Van Halen for a good example.
The first time I played sober was because I just forgot to drink. 'Damn' I thought...'I'm playing better.' James Hetfield
# 3
emmanuel79
emmanuel79
07/19/2001 2:48 pm
Actually I don't even understand what is the exact question? But what the heck maybe you wanted to know about palm muting or how to do mutings while picking 2 strings. OK, maybe you need clean sound while picking only 2 strings or more right? OK, it is possible to do that. When it comes to mutings, there are 2 kinds so far I have known.
1) Muting with your right palm hand (the one that use to hold the pick)

2) Muting with you left fingers or palm.

If this is what you mean...e.g.

E-------x------------------------------------------------------
B-------x------------------------------------------------------
G------3-------------------------------------------------------
D------3-------------------------------------------------------
A-------x------------------------------------------------------
E-------x------------------------------------------------------
Above, you may mute using your right palm

But for this...

E---------x----------------------------------------------------
B---------x----------------------------------------------------
G---------5----------------------------------------------------
D---------x----------------------------------------------------
A---------3----------------------------------------------------
E---------x----------------------------------------------------
Above, you may use your left fingers to mute as this might not be easy with your right palm.
How? say, "Thumb" is finger 1, and you use finger 2 in 3rd fret and 4 in 5th fret, the rest of the fingers MUTE the rest of the strings. It is hard just to tell you like this, and I am lazy to draw and scan picture to show you how to do this, but all you have to do is just press the fret respectively as shown above, and let your palm and fingers which are free touch the strings behind each frt that you press. Strum the whole thing but only those two will be heard and the rest is mute sound. Hm..., take your time to figure this out.

HACK THE GUITAR!!!

*Aliens Understand Music*
# 4
Willdridge
Willdridge
08/02/2001 7:21 am
As for tips when palm muting when alternate picking:-
Don't put your picking hand (generally your right...) too far either way on your bridge. If it's too far forward than you cut the notes off too much and produce more of a click than anything, if you put them too far back the string will probably ring out too much.
The technique you're asking about IS very possible, it's exactly how I play "The Four Horsemen" by Metallica. The key really is to start off slowly and LISTEN to what you're playing. Get everything right at a snails pace and then bring it up to speed, (as with everything!!!).
Hope that was some help...Good luck and feel free to ask me about anything I didn't make too clear.
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 5
Guitar Guru
Guitar Guru
08/09/2001 10:52 am
If what you meant was muting both notes of say a 2 note power chord than that is too easy. It's all in the side of your palm. Its not at all hard to do.

Smoke weed every day!
# 6
ibanezdude
ibanezdude
08/09/2001 2:25 pm
to palm mute a lot of strings i generally use the side of my hand and sumtimes my little finger... just make sure u place it very close to the bridge so that the notes u play r actually heard.

this is what i use for the intro riffs in call of the ktulu by metallica even tho its played with downstrokes... i just learnt it with alternate picking and stuck with it...

n e way...
ill cyas l8a!
~ROR!~
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.