help i dont know what to do about my broken toenail

Fret spider
Fret spider
03/22/2006 1:35 am
today i basically ripped most of my toenail off accidentally

at the present time there is a sliver of toenail arround the cutilce and a big hole in the middle, and it is bleading a bit. a friend told me if i don't rip it out it will mean i will get a horrible deformed nail, is this true. i am thinking this will probably hurt. anyone know what to do. and if i do have to rip it out how the **** do you get a purchase on it.

anyway any advice would be good.
# 1
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
03/22/2006 1:55 am
Normally when you damage a toenail like that... it will generally fall off on its own.. or just grow out.

I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected... but I wouldn't purposely rip the rest off.
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 2
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
03/22/2006 2:11 am
zee toe must be removed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/22/2006 2:17 am
Why don't ya just go get it seen to? Spend a coupla hours in the emergency room...you can get it all fixed up & probably get some pain killers to boot.
# 4
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/22/2006 2:21 am
Cut the toe clear off. No one wants to see a nasty toe. It's just spoiling the rest of you.
# 5
pure
pure
03/22/2006 2:43 am
dude when i was 3 or 4 i broke a toenail. it ended up breaking completely off and growing back. it didnt hurt much, only at the start.

now, i think this happened 3 weeks ago.... i was walking and hit my little toe against a stool leg! then it started bleeding and now the whole toe's off.. well its all being held at the base of the toenail.. and i can literally lift the toenail like a folder and see inside..

and to my right is a lamisil ad. is this a sign?

anyway dude, dont worry just dont let it get infected. toenails grow like hair.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 6
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
03/22/2006 8:22 am
Originally Posted by: pure

anyway dude, dont worry just dont let it get infected. toenails grow like hair.

"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 7
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/22/2006 8:48 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeWhy don't ya just go get it seen to? Spend a coupla hours in the emergency room...you can get it all fixed up & probably get some pain killers to boot.

Schmange is right. Don't go trying any amateur surgery until you've checked with your GP, at the very least. I had two ingrowing toenails a couple of years ago (one on each of my big toes), and everybody I met just kept telling me to lance them myself. I decided to check with my doctor, just to be sure, and he told me that I definitely needed surgery!
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 8
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/22/2006 9:38 am
Really long and stupid gross story alert.

I dropped a 75lb box on my big toe when I got my first job working in a warehouse.
I wasnā€™t wearing safety boots and could hardly walk, so I got 2 weeks off with Workers Compensation. Unfortunately I made the stupid mistake of not seeing a doctor about it.
I basically limped around in slippers for the whole 2 weeks and didnā€™t even bother to check it.
About halfway through my time off, I thumbed a ride down to Toronto with a friend of mine. I could still hardly walk but hey, he convinced me.

Stupid coincidence... my foreman from work drives past and sees me thumbing a ride back home when I was supposed to be off work so he reports it to Workers Comp.
When I went back to work, the foreman calls me over and tells me ā€œyou know I saw you thumbing a ride last weekend right?ā€
ā€œGo see the nurseā€.
I get to the nurses office and take off my boot. My sock is all bloody and stuck to my foot. I peel off the sock and my big toe is all swollen with dried blood and this green looking stuff underneath my toenail.
She basically freaks and tells me I have to go to the hospital.

So I go to the hospital that night thinking I'm going to get it fixed up with really great professional care.
The stupid doctor keeps me waiting in this cubical thing with curtains around it for like, 3 hours.
Iā€™m trying to keep busy by reading the joke section of a Readers Digest and trying not to laugh out loud cause the hospital was really quiet and there were other nurses and patients in the adjoining cubicles. About an hour later, I lower the Readers Digest and thereā€™s this big fly on my toe.
I basically freak and shake it off. Iā€™m sitting there waiting to see if it comes back but it looks safe so I go back to reading again. A few minutes later I lower the book to rest my eyes...and the Iā€™ll be damned if the fly isnā€™t back on my toe again!
Now Iā€™m really freaked, so I grab the floor mat from underneath me and put it over my foot to stop the fly from getting at it.
At one point I laugh out loud at one of the jokes I was reading and the nurse walks in.. takes one look at me with the floor mat over my foot and walks back out.

A couple of hours later the doctor finally walks in. He doesnā€™t say anything about the mat being on my foot either but I can tell heā€™s really pissed.
I try to explain.... ā€œuh.. there was this fly ...ā€
Of course by now thereā€™s no fly to be seen anywhere.

He looks at me like Iā€™m nuts, goes over to his workbench and pulls out this huge pair of pliers, sticks my foot between his legs with his back to me, grabs my big toenail, and rips it right off.
He says ā€œIā€™ll be right back to write you a prescription for pain killers.ā€ and he walks out.
I sit there waiting for about another hour... finally I get so sick and tired of waiting that I hobble over to the nurses station to find out what was going on.
She says "oh.. the doctor left for an emergency about an hour ago"
ā€œWhat the ??.. he said he was getting me a prescriptionā€
ā€œIā€™m sorry but I canā€™t give you a prescription without the doctor here.ā€

So anyways, I limp out really pissed off that I didnā€™t get the pain killers Iā€™d been looking forward to for the last hour.
I get in my car and all the way home Iā€™m thinking..ā€hell, I could have ripped off the stupid nail with a pair of pliers myself and not gotten any painkillers.ā€ :cool:

the end.

...or is it?
Every few years after that, the toenail kinda just falls off in one piece.
Which is really great cause you can great stuff like wait for somebody to start eating and go "hmm...my toenail feels kind of weird", then peel back the toenail and rip it right off.
# 9
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
03/22/2006 4:40 pm
Do you still have that pic of your finger, when you sliced part of your nail off? That was a cool pic :D

I lost a toenail once. My big toe got steped on during football(american) practice. We wore shoes with screw in hard plastic cleats, so it pretty much sucked! After practice, I take my shoe off to find that my previously white sock is now completely red. When I finally looked at my toe, the toenail was completely black. I got it all washed and cleaned up, and realize that only about 80% of the toenail was damaged. I was going to just pull the nail off, since it had been smashed a loose from the toe, but the right ~1/8" of it was still very attached. So, I had to wait it out. I washed and cleaned it out several times a day, which was a chore in itself, but you don't want to take any chances with your feet. Eventually, it grew out enough for me to cut the unattached section off. It looked pretty funny after that, but it felt much better and healed up a lot faster than it would have if I had left the nail on.

If I were you, I'd be sure to keep it thoroughly cleaned several times a day with soap and water, and keep an antibiotic ointment on it. Open wounds on your feet can get infected VERY easy. So, it is very important to take special care of them. If it starts bothering you too much, or if it doesn't start to heal soon, or if you start feeling like you're coming down with the flu, then go see a doctor about it!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/22/2006 4:52 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaDo you still have that pic of your finger, when you sliced part of your nail off? That was a cool pic :D

blech.. yeah...
http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/FingerBlech.jpg

... damn thing put me outa commision for over a month.
You wouldn't believe how careful I am with that knife now.
# 11
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/22/2006 5:06 pm
Jesus Schmange... I'm in awe with that one. Really. I'm speechless. You're a genuine freak or something.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/22/2006 5:38 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsJesus Schmange... I'm in awe with that one. Really. I'm speechless. You're a genuine freak or something.

uh, thanks. I think.
# 13
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/22/2006 6:09 pm
LMAO! The fly incident was hilarious!
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 14
Fret spider
Fret spider
03/23/2006 4:30 pm
yeh i found an walk in clinic thing and they said it would be ok but thanx for the advice, i was just a bit freaked out about pulling it out cos a lot of it is still attached. the doctor said it was alrite and just to clean it regularly so its good

anyway thanks for the advice
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.