What ever happened to that guy?

Joseph
Joseph
07/05/2001 4:11 am
There are a lot of musicians that I'm sure we have all thought about working with one day. The type of musician who can challenge us in more ways than one. There are a lot of musicians who I truly respect (from the eighties scene) but a lot of them seem to have dropped off the face of the planet...Ive always wanted to work with Vito Bratta of White Lion. This band was amazing through out the eighties, unfortuntely, this guy hasn't released any side projects for over the past ten years or so. Perhaps you guys have heard something about him?

Also, is there one musician who you've always wanted to work with, someone who could challenge you in more ways than one, and why?

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/05/2001 6:18 am

Most of those guys from the eighties are probably flipping burgers in some hamburger stand somewhere.

All I can say is thank God the eighties are over and done with. There's only so many crappy minor pentatonic riffs you can fit into a measure after all.
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/05/2001 4:38 pm
Excluding SRV, and a few other notables, the 80's were pretty much a waste of time as far as my musical tastes are concerned. Of course, good things are always happening (and maybe I just can't appreciate Nelson for their hard work and creative approach to music), yet the 80's make my ears feel like my stomach does after a hard night of drinking, then downing the cup of coffee from hell (the 4am-found at a gas station kind).

I shouldn't be so harsh. Like I said, Stevie Ray's career basicly consisted of the 80's. Possessed released Seven Churches in 85. Mark Sandman and Billy Conway were in Treat Her Right, Faith No More came out in 89, and Primus were just getting underway.

I really can't think of anybody I'de paticuarly like to work with right now, but I would like to pick Mark Sandman's brain for a few minutes, that's for sure.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
07/05/2001 7:15 pm
I always thought it would be cool to have Eric Johnson help me out with my tone. Of course I'd have to wait for him to stop vomitting from hearing my existing tone
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
07/05/2001 10:31 pm
John Lennon, if he wasnt so dead. Other than that Don McLean.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 5
Joseph
Joseph
07/06/2001 3:06 am
Originally posted by Christoph

All I can say is thank God the eighties are over and done with. There's only so many crappy minor pentatonic riffs you can fit into a measure after all.

True, not all of it was worth remembering, and for a lot of bands they chose to take a rather tame approach to songwriting, following in the footsteps of others instead of branching out on their own. But despite the hair (the overall image) a lot of talented musicians came from the eighties metal scene. For those who have already made up their minds, its rather pointless in mentioning the same titles you've heard before. But I really miss those guitar solos. Although a lot of bands prided themselves on their solo work instead if their (possible) innate ability for songwriting, they played their guitar solos from the heart, and the phrase anti-solo was hardly ever used back then.

If anything, these musicians challenged us in more ways than one, and unless you lived the era, unless you've been to the concerts, its hard for you to completely get my drift. If I ever have the opportunity to play with one of myu favorites on stage, more than nything I would like someone elses to complement my technique, and through mistakes I would be more than willing to learn. Joe Satriani here I come..

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
Excluding SRV, and a few other notables, the 80's were pretty much a waste of time as far as my musical tastes are concerned. Of course, good things are always happening (and maybe I just can't appreciate Nelson for their hard work and creative approach to music), yet the 80's make my ears feel like my stomach does after a hard night of drinking, then downing the cup of coffee from hell (the 4am-found at a gas station kind).

Well since music goes in cycles, its sad that there isn't enough room for a variety of styles in the mainstream. But one thing that stands apart with the bands from the eighties and the current scene of music now is that a lot of those bands played their instruments very well. I mean sure there are a lot of great musicians today, those with good songwriting skills, but I really like to hear those who can challenge me in more ways than one. Dokken, this was an awesome band, too bad they're labeled along with a string of other bands from the eighties. \

Originally posted by BadHorsie
I always thought it would be cool to have Eric Johnson help me out with my tone. Of course I'd have to wait for him to stop vomitting from hearing my existing tone

What an unbelievable musician, and if you you've ever seen him in concert, then you really know where his talent lies. Hes great in acting on his impulses, and its safe to say that this guy never misses a note on stage. We could all use a lot of work when it comes to our chops after hearing someone like Eric Johnson, but its important not feel discouraged, its important to use that new found energy to your advantage. Hey, if i ever had the opportunity to work with this guy on stage, it wouldn't matter if I fall flat on my face in comparison to his style,) because the opportunity alone would last a lifetime. The inspiration, I'm sure Ide never forget.

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
# 6
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/06/2001 3:31 am

Hmmm . . . I didn't mean to sound so overly critical.

The 80's were a great period for music (as long as you exclude all the 80's glam pop!), and the guitarists back then were definitely more talented at playing their solos and at shredding. Just look at Extreme, my favorite 80's metal band. Nuno was one fricking talented guitarist! Guys these days can't even compare.

The problem is that it all started to sound the same.

Now-a-days I find myself listening to the harder nu-metal stuff, like Linkin Park and Disturbed. Compared to these bands, 80's metal is easy listening.

BTW, you mentioned Satriani. I went to the G3 concert on Tuesday! It was tight. Now he's one guitarist I would like to have a chat with.

# 7
Joseph
Joseph
07/06/2001 3:44 am

Hmmm . . . I didn't mean to sound so overly critical.

I realize that, and I appreciate that your expressed your thoughts in a reasonable manner. But it seems like for everyone I talk to about the music scene from the eighties, they focus primarily on the overall image. And its true that image sells, and thats something that grabs a lot of peoples attention. And with the way a band looks like it gives the lister a good idea of whether or not they can relate their overall approach. But still, its the music, the sounds that inspire us to be the best that we can in everything we do. I feel that with a lot the bands from the eighties (although they're not considered cool compared to the music in todays genre) they really played their hearts out. And yes toward the end it all fell apart, but with every good thing, there are always thousands of copy cats ready to jump on the band wagon. Its hard to spot who has integrity in the music indusrty, but personally I feel longevity is more important than instant success..

I saw Satrianti a few times in concert, hes amazing, hopefully I'll be able to catch his shows w/Steve Vai when he comes to Sunrise July 21...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/06/2001 3:15 pm
Anything that becomes mainstream starts to sound repedative. Remember Nirvana being such a releaf to all those people? When the term "antisolo" was coined or just being used a lot... Well, within a few years that same style of music was sounding pretty tired wasn't it? A few of those people are still kicking around and still making music, but they're the Jerry Cantrells and Chris Cornells. Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam, not The Dandy Warholls.

So in a couple of years it's going to be Nu Metal that's sounding prettty tired, and a few people will survive, but they'll probably be the true artists, not the imitators.

As for easy listening, their's always something heavier and harder. Early Death Metal circa the mid 80's is way heavier than Linkin Park or Staind, as is a lot of modern metal. Everything is relative.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/06/2001 3:35 pm

Speaking of the 80's "image" that Joseph mentioned - anyone who ridicules the 80's image needs to take a good look at the image of today. Those guys like Fred Durst and Eminem just look ridiculous in their ghetto-fabulous costumes jumping around and trying to get up in your face like they're all that. Woooooo . . . aren't they cool!!

Early Death Metal circa the mid 80's is way heavier than Linkin Park or Staind, as is a lot of modern metal.

I don't know anything about that Death Metal stuff, but I was refering to 80's metal like ACDC, Ozzie, etc. My point was that this type of music was called "The Devil's Music" by everyone but compared to the stuff today, it seems pretty easy going.
# 10
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/06/2001 3:44 pm
Oh, forgot to mention, Joseph, if you go to one the G3 shows, be prepared for the insanity of Steve Vai. I thought his set pretty much sucked, and he didn't play anything from Alien Love Secrets or any other songs that I'd even heard of, except for "For the Love of God". Maybe it was just because I was so close to the stage, but I could barely hear the guitar. All I could hear was the kick and the bass beating against my chest.
# 11
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/06/2001 6:58 pm
I know what you're getting at, but I have a slightly different persepctive on things- one of the beutiful things about music. Anyway, neither nu metal or metal is my main focus in music so I think I'm pretty impartial. I do think that neither old school hair farming 80's stuff or nu metal sounds remotely as dark as say "Fourth of July" by Soundgarden. It really comes down to mood and atmousphere to me... but I do understand where you're coming from.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 12
Joseph
Joseph
07/07/2001 1:20 am

So in a couple of years it's going to be Nu Metal that's sounding prettty tired, and a few people will survive, but they'll probably be the true artists, not the imitators.

Well, your guess is as good as mine as to what the new form of "release" will be in the music industry as the years progress. But one thing is for sure, that some musicians are very good at emulating what they hear from others. Where instead of finding the key elements in their favorite songs, they take take of the most obvious elements to add to their spound. Where they refuse to take that chance in relying on their natural abilities, and instincts. I mean its easy to imsgine yourself doing something very similiar to your favorites, but it takes much more effort to use that inspiration (the key elements) to create your own very personal musical statement. But being that a lot of musicans have stars in their eyes, its most unlikely that anything exciting and innovative in the music industry will last very long vbefore it all becomes a trend.

So, being that jmusic goes in cycles, you can never tell when just one band will grab he worlds attention (based on integrity, and honor.) Throughout the eighties there ere many great musicians, but toward the end the music became tame, predictable, and over used. Its too bad that more musicans refuse to search for their own killer instinct, instead they use someone elses to their advantage.

Maybe it was just because I was so close to the stage, but I could barely hear the guitar. All I could hear was the kick and the bass beating against my chest.

That was probably it, because most of my musical experiences with Vai have been most satisfying and most inspirational, and there are plenty other great songs under his belt besides "For The Love Of God." Watch the movie Crossroads if you havent already seen it, wow.

-Joseph

[Edited by Joseph on 07-06-2001 at 09:22 PM]
www.ragmagazine.com
# 13
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/07/2001 3:49 pm

Just as there's only so many pentatonic riffs you can cram together in 80's rock, there's only so many steps you can downtune for nu-metal. So I guess it's bound to get old sometime. But I'm enjoying it here and now.

Maybe middle eastern music will come back. That'd be cool with me.

Joseph, yeah I know Vai's got a ton of great songs, it's just that I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference because I couldn't hear the guitar. That's what sucked about it. Maybe I had just lost all ability to hear high frequencies by that point in the show. I dunno.
# 14
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/07/2001 7:34 pm
when you're right up front most the sound you hear comes off of the monitors... so sound quality is really spotty. BUT you get to see everything.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15
MajinMojo
MajinMojo
07/07/2001 10:58 pm
[QUOTE][Speaking of the 80's "image" that Joseph mentioned - anyone who ridicules the 80's image needs to take a good look at the image of today. Those guys like Fred Durst and Eminem just look ridiculous in their ghetto-fabulous costumes jumping around and trying to get up in your face like they're all that. Woooooo . . . aren't they cool!!
QUOTE]

Many-a-time have I wanted to take a bat right to my TV or radio because of all that bull****. What is music doing to kids? How can you grow up hearing of people like Eminem making *personal* threats to you on a daily basis? In his music he threatens to kill your mother and all this other stuff. Fred Durst act tough and everybody wants to be like him. I'm sorry it just doesn't appeal to me, yet others love hearing that some guy is going to come and rape your mother while she lays dead in the back of his trunk. Thats soooo cool! YES!
# 16
MajinMojo
MajinMojo
07/07/2001 10:59 pm
Sorry, that last post came out a little wrong. The FIRST paragraph is a quote by Christopher, the SECOND is what I have to say about it.
# 17
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/08/2001 1:22 am
when you're right up front most the sound you hear comes off of the monitors... so sound quality is really spotty. BUT you get to see everything.

Yup, that's the trade off. I could see Vai's wild fingers going all over the place but didn't have a clue what he was playing.

Originally posted by Me
Woooooo . . . aren't they cool!!

I meant that to be sarcastic, by the way.

Originally posted by MajinMojo
Many-a-time have I wanted to take a bat right to my TV or radio because of all that bull****.

Yeah, this country is pretty much going into the crapper, I have to admit.
# 18
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/08/2001 2:17 am
Going?
Fact is it's always been gone.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 19
metalisbest
metalisbest
08/29/2002 11:00 pm
I would love to work with Jimi Hendrix or Bradley Nowell from Sublime.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.