Most recently, where do your ideas come from?

Joseph
Joseph
07/02/2001 2:04 am
For a lot of reasons we would love to just get away from it all, pack up the truck and head south, (or in my case north) Ive had enough of Florida. But with our new found responsibilities, its hard to just pick up and go, in search of inspiration, freedom, just to ease our minds. But still a lot of the times, after heading off into the sunset, we realize that our best form of inspiration was always where we least expected to find it, at home.

Personally, as musicians, we find inspiration throughout all sorts of situations, through turmoil, through fear, and just those little words that come out of our previous girlfriends mouths. Its not always easy to create the perfect atmosephere, but where does inspiration most frequently strike? Are you usually inspired to write music when you're sitting at home (washing the dishes etc,) or when you're out on the road away from it all, (someplace else entirely.)?

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
Tolkien
Tolkien
07/02/2001 7:29 pm
when i go to bed at 4:00 in the morning it strikes
its a paint to cause sleep depravation is a b*tch
This Space Intentionaly Left Blank
# 2
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
07/04/2001 10:27 am
My inspiration comes at evenings. When i sit quietly at home. When i take the time to sit and play around just what i want at that time or listening to some records. Then when it comes i can make sometimes three songs in one evening/night. I go on until the basic is finished, also i write it down so i won't forget the other day.
Some good wine can help the proces, also some weed can get me to creativity.
The most important is not to be disturbed. No screaming kids, telephone or just non musical thoughts in your head.

Free your mind and your axe will follow.
# 3
SteelSlider
SteelSlider
07/04/2001 11:04 am
All my life I've written songs. About 200 + now. 90% of them were done within an hours time. That hour was about three hours after I should of been asleep.
I'm a night person, I hate sleep, and am at my most creative when I'm exhausted. Why? I have not one clue.
I use to write down the song then go to bed. When I'd wake up it was like looking at someone elses scribbling. I can't tell you how many songs I've lost because of imporper saving.
Words to songs come at any time, day or night, but music come when I'm really tired, to tired to write it down now.
I've solved that problem though. I carry a small mini cassette with me everywhere I go, just like a writer will carry a note pad, or an artist will carry a drawing pad.
I even carry extra batteries, and tapes. One never knows.
Slidin' on.
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/04/2001 5:20 pm
I get inspiration in floods too. Usually when I'm depressed. Otherwise I'll just have maybe a verse or a line pop into my head. Regardless, I try and keep paper around me at all times.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Joseph
Joseph
07/05/2001 3:33 am
Originally posted by Tolkien
when i go to bed at 4:00 in the morning it strikes

Yeah, its always when you're tired or when you least expect inspiration to strike. But a lot my best lyrics were written (rather unconsciously, if you will) very late at night. Its an amazing feeling when you wake up out of a sound sleep, only to be inspired by a dream or sometimes unfinished thoughts that started through out the day. Its amazing how some of your best thoughts can be transfered onto paper, without preparation, and without second thought. I write a lot of songs in the middle of the night, only to stash them away from months at a time. And then once I have to courage to look through all of this stuff, its such a weird feeling to read something so good (that you don't even remember writing.) You're less judgemental that way..:D

Originally posted by Martin Spaans
The most important is not to be disturbed. No screaming kids, telephone or just non musical thoughts in your head.
Free your mind and your axe will follow.

Yeah, I always unplug the phone especially after a long hard day, (during practice sessions,) when I'm filled with good ideas. My friends can always yell at me later when I have three or four new songs under my belt. :)

Originally posted by SteelSlider
I'm a night person, I hate sleep, and am at my most creative when I'm exhausted. Why? I have not one clue

Yeah, I'm also a night person, and for lot of reasons its because I'm so busy during the day, nighttime is the only time I can relax and collect my thoughts. Yeah, I always carry note pads, and in my Jeep a Martin Backpacker. Especially during coffee breaks, you never know when A good idea will hit, I guess thats what seperates musicians from rockstars. I love writing songs, its just something thats naturally inside of me...

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
I get inspiration in floods too. Usually when I'm depressed. Otherwise I'll just have maybe a verse or a line pop into my head. Regardless, I try and keep paper around me at all times.

For years, I used to write several different songs when I was in a really bad mood, because I tried to take advantage ofg those rough spots I was going through. But most recently, Ive found that inspiration can stroike just about anywhere, and to write a very memorable and natural masterpiece, it can even happen when you're disgustingly happy.:) I guess you have to learn to take advantage of all type of situations. Although, I must say that love songs do get a little sappy after a while.

Most recently, Ide have to say that my best ideas come close from home. Although for years Ive always tried to find excuses to get away and find the perfect inspiration, right now its at home, with my newspapers, and a nice cup of coffee.

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
# 6
Willdridge
Willdridge
08/03/2001 8:25 am
For me, inspiration comes throughout the day. Just when I'm doing things a thought will come into my head, e.g. a phrase I'll use as a lyric, or just when I'm sat listenning to a song, I'll hear melodies, harmonies and stuff that aren't nessecary there, but were created because of them. It's not really a case of me sitting down, secluding myself from the world and going "Okay,what am I feeling now?".
I rarely write the whole song down straight away. I might write down the lyrics and stuff, but my view is that, if I can play it back from memory then it's something special and worth while carrying on with - if I've forgotten it, than maybe it wasn't all the great. I'll admit I've lost one or two pretty interesting things, but I suspect they'll be conquered up at some later date, when I'm "washing the dishes".
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 7
Joseph
Joseph
08/04/2001 3:04 am
Originally posted by Willdridge
I'll admit I've lost one or two pretty interesting things, but I suspect they'll be conquered up at some later date, when I'm "washing the dishes".

Yeah, years ago I had a lot of spontaneous material that I wrote one night, there were several great songs, and a lot of unfinished stuff from what I can remember. But unfortunately during a moving process a lot of those tapes were misplaced. When I think back to the night that I recorded that stuff, that was a great night, something I just can't get back. But every now and then I'll come up with these tunes and I can't help wondering if they came from that session. All that I can sau is, never throw out your songs, although you might hate them one week, you just mifght love them the next...As a musician, you'll learn to live like a pack rat, :D.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 8
Barreta_jetstream1
Barreta_jetstream1
08/10/2001 8:20 pm
all my song ideas come from that dreaded disease
insomnia
sorry
Tandem Felix
# 9
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
08/10/2001 10:00 pm
no idea... if i knew when/why or how, i'd probably milk it to death... i do seem to come up with more ideas when i play with other people (especially if they're playing something other than a guitar... i find guitar a fantastic acompanying insturment)
# 10
Purikah
Purikah
08/11/2001 8:51 pm
My inspiration usually comes from anger at stupidity, ignorance and values (other ppl's, not mine). I hope to express my political views in afuture songs but i dont think im clever enuff. lol.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.