Trembuckers and other 'Bucker questions

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
03/09/2006 11:05 pm
I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of upgrading pickups, so I gots TWO QUESTIONS:

FIRST QUESTION

My Strat (Hum-Sing-Sing) has a Floyd Rose "locking tremolo."

Seymour Duncan has these "Trembucker" style humbuckers that are apparently intended for such guitars.

If I don't get a 'bucker with the weird trembucker spacing, would that make my guitar sound like sh[bleep]? :confused: What would the difference be, really? The stock humbucker (in the bridge) I currently have doesn't have that weird spacing as far as I can tell... but then I am trying to replace it, aren't I?

What am I missing here? :confused: Am I limited to the so-called Trembuckers because of my Floyd Rose?

SECOND QUESTION

That Strat of mine has an alder body and a maple neck... though it has a rosewood fretboard.

I want to play heavy duty metal type stuff... at least some or most of the time or when it counts or... yeah, you get the picture.

I get the impression that my options are limited. People tell me if you take one of those super-hot, super-heavy things like a Dimebucker or a Metal Livewire, it'll sound like crap unless your guitar has a mahogany body... and, I guess... as well... preferably... a mahogany neck.

Should I just get a standard humbucker that's not all super hot and heavy and then just crank the amp when need be or get a pedal?

I know I've kind of sort of asked a lot of this stuff before... but I'm still trying to put two and two together. :confused:
# 1
pure
pure
03/14/2006 3:14 am
if you're just trying to play "heavy duty metal", i had a strat with 3 singles and alder body and meple neck and i could get metal sounds from it.. AFTER i bought a new amp. maybe you just need a better amp. you should do more research on pickups before you decide.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 2
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
03/14/2006 6:27 am
i have a jackson v that is alder.....i put Dimarzio Evolutions in it and it is great for metal. Captain Crunch ;)
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 3
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
03/14/2006 6:29 am
f-spacing .....it is better for fenders and floyd rose bridges. if you go to dimarzio's website they explain it there.
# 4
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
03/14/2006 6:34 am
f-spacing .....it is better for fenders and floyd rose bridges. if you go to dimarzio's website they explain it there......here i pasted it>>>>>What is F-spacing?
All of our full-size humbuckers except the X2N® are available in two polepiece spacings. F-spacing refers to the wider of the two spacings. For proper string alignment and balanced output, F-spaced humbuckers should be used in the bridge position on all guitars with string spacing at the bridge of 2.1" (53 mm) or greater. On these guitars, if the nut width is 1-11/16” (43 mm) or greater, F-spaced pickups can be used in the neck position as well.
Why are there two different spacings?
A long time ago (in the 20th century, actually) the electric guitar world was divided between Gibson and Fender designs. One of the differences between the two was string spacing. In general, Gibson chose a narrower string spacing at the bridge than Fender, and therefore the polepieces on Gibson humbuckers were closer together than the magnets on Fender pickups. When guitar shops started installing humbuckers in the bridge position of Strats, it was obvious that the strings didn’t line up with the polepieces, and if the E strings were too far outside, the sound could suffer. Our first humbuckers followed the original Gibson spacing, and we call them standard-spaced. When we released our first humbuckers with wider spacing, Floyd Rose bridges were very popular. Floyd string-spacing is the same as Fender spacing, so we naturally called the new pickups F-spaced.
How do I know which spacing to use?
F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including late 1990s Gibson Les Pauls and Epiphone LPs) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16” (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.
Do some of your humbuckers come only in one spacing?
The X2N® has solid bar polepieces that work in both normal and F-spaced applications. All 7-string humbuckers are available F-spaced only. All Parker Fly replacement pickups are F-spaced only.
Is there F-spacing for single-coils?
All of our single-coil-sized pickups are designed for F-spaced applications.
# 5
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
03/16/2006 1:19 am
Well, I'm not just going for metal... I'm looking for as much versatility as I can get. Everything from grindcore/death metal to weird-sounding avant-garde jazz-related noise... some blues/hard rock thrown in, whatever else.
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/27/2006 7:51 am
Each guitar has it's own intrinsic tones. The choice of pickups will modify that a bit. But the major factor in your overall sound is how much distortion you use, and what kind of distortion it is. And all of that comes from your choice of amps and pedals.

If you play with clean, undistorted tone, then your choice of guitar/pickups becomes very important to the final sound. As you add more distortion and effects, they take over the final result, to the point that almost any axe will do.

So, if you want to play sweet, clean stuff, choose accordingly. You can use that same axe for heavy stuff just by adding gain and effects. You may end up with 1 guitar, and 6 amps.

From what I've been hearing from Dr_simon, you could just get a Line 6 Variax, and a Spider II, and spend your time experimenting with switch patches instead of shopping for gear. I find that concept distasteful on a spiritual level, but I will admit it would free you to concentrate on composition instead of tone-quest. YMMV.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
03/28/2006 2:40 am
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... *thinks* Well, I've been doing the bass tone quest for years (some say what I want can't be done, but this isn't the forum for that), so I think I'd be too restless if I didn't extend it to guitar.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.