View post (Trembuckers and other 'Bucker questions)

View thread

Vegas Wierdo
Vegas Wierdo
03/09/2006 11:05 pm
I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of upgrading pickups, so I gots TWO QUESTIONS:

FIRST QUESTION

My Strat (Hum-Sing-Sing) has a Floyd Rose "locking tremolo."

Seymour Duncan has these "Trembucker" style humbuckers that are apparently intended for such guitars.

If I don't get a 'bucker with the weird trembucker spacing, would that make my guitar sound like sh[bleep]? :confused: What would the difference be, really? The stock humbucker (in the bridge) I currently have doesn't have that weird spacing as far as I can tell... but then I am trying to replace it, aren't I?

What am I missing here? :confused: Am I limited to the so-called Trembuckers because of my Floyd Rose?

SECOND QUESTION

That Strat of mine has an alder body and a maple neck... though it has a rosewood fretboard.

I want to play heavy duty metal type stuff... at least some or most of the time or when it counts or... yeah, you get the picture.

I get the impression that my options are limited. People tell me if you take one of those super-hot, super-heavy things like a Dimebucker or a Metal Livewire, it'll sound like crap unless your guitar has a mahogany body... and, I guess... as well... preferably... a mahogany neck.

Should I just get a standard humbucker that's not all super hot and heavy and then just crank the amp when need be or get a pedal?

I know I've kind of sort of asked a lot of this stuff before... but I'm still trying to put two and two together. :confused: