need PRS style guitar. help if you can

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/10/2006 11:53 pm
oh, also if there is excessive buzzing when using high gain as a result of poor shielding.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
pure
pure
03/11/2006 3:21 pm
okay first i will talk about the guitar itself.

when i got the phoenix, the action was a little high for me and all i had to do to lower it was turn a screw and that was it. the guitar came scratchless and was in perfect intonation. it arrived in 2 days so i was happy about that.

right now the action's 2 millimeters high from top of the 12th fret to bottom of the high e sring, and 5 millimeters from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the e string and i have no problems. no buzz at all.

----------------------------------unplugged

the next thing i checked when i got the guitar is how it sounds unplugged and its resonance. the whole guitar vibrates when i pick a note and right now my television's on and my brother can hear the guitar unplugged across the room.

i really like this neck shape. the neck shape is like a wide "C", alot like "(". the neck is wide and thin, but not very thin. its thinner than my strat but not as flat as an ibanez.

the fretboard is 1.75 inches wide at the nut, and 2.25 inches wide at the 24th fret. the fretboard radius is very flat. there is almost no curve, but there is a very little curve. i guess you can call it flat because there is almost no curve. i like the pearl inlays on them.

the heel at the back of the neck starts to form at the 19th fret and stops at the end of the 20th fret.

the neck is set in.

and also, the neck is skinnier at the nut than at the 20th fret, right before the heel starts forming.

the neck arrived with a little back curve, but i guess its cause the guitar was sent from wiskonsin and im in florida so that might have something to do with it.

ok the fret condition. slide your hand along both edges of the fretboard and it doesnt feel like a chainsaw. the frets are like rectangles, flat at the top. but, theyre sorta rounded on the sides. the frets are like trapezoids. the frets are average height. they were all even when they came.

.___
/___\ <--- my fret.

i cant really say how heavy the neck is. the whole guitar weight is balanced at the body where it meets your leg.

the guitar is comfortable both atanding and sitting.to me the guitar isnt heavy when standing. it feels like ita around 6-8 pounds.

bends are smooth, easy, and dont fret out. i really like the mahogany neck. it looks awesome and its finish is smooth.

i guess thats it about the neck.

since the day i got it, i tuned it that same day and i havent had to re-tune it yet. that doesnt say much since it was on thursday when i got it and today's saturday.

----------------------------------plugged

okay... ill update this section later because im not good at describing sound. ill just record some stuff on all the settings. check back.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 2
pure
pure
03/11/2006 10:53 pm
ok also, here an email reply i got back from the nelsonic customer service team.

"Hi Lance,

The pickups are wax potted and the cavities have shielding paint.
The inlays are mother of pearl.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Keep Jamming,

The Nelsonic Customer Service Team"

so no matter how loud or how much gain, theres no hum
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
03/12/2006 12:12 am
Ut ohhh, what exactly does the wax in the pickups with the flathead type things on them do?
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/12/2006 2:22 am
wax potted pups sound better. i dont know the exact tech reason behind it. i guess it cuts out some extra noise and better shields the pup? meh, im no pro.
and the pole pieces on top of the pup changes the magnetism or something?
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/12/2006 3:54 am
the fact that your action is 2mm at the 1st fret, and 5 mm at the 12th fret says to me that your neck has alot of bend in it. a little bend is good, you don't want it perfectly straight, but that sounds like alot. I'd probably take it in for a truss rod adjustment if I were you, to make it perform it's best.

EDIT: nevermind... I reread what you wrote, I misunderstood. lol

what I meant by neck heavy was, when you are standing, and you take both hands off the guitar, does the hedstock drift toward the ground, or is it balanced?

one more question, is there any fret buzz?
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 6
songman007
songman007
03/12/2006 7:32 pm
ALL hand made, fantastic quality and made in Canada. Prices so good you wont believe it!!
# 7
pure
pure
03/12/2006 8:17 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsthe fact that your action is 2mm at the 1st fret, and 5 mm at the 12th fret says to me that your neck has alot of bend in it. a little bend is good, you don't want it perfectly straight, but that sounds like alot. I'd probably take it in for a truss rod adjustment if I were you, to make it perform it's best.

EDIT: nevermind... I reread what you wrote, I misunderstood. lol

what I meant by neck heavy was, when you are standing, and you take both hands off the guitar, does the hedstock drift toward the ground, or is it balanced?

one more question, is there any fret buzz?

yea i got it adjusted yesterday and they left it with a little bend and i was like "why?" and they said you need a little bend to avoid buzz.

okay i just strapped it on and.. uh lets see... the neck stays in the exact same position. it seems that it would rather go closer to your head than to your feet. the guitar's well balanced.

but i know what you mean about the neck.. my maple neck&fretboard stratocaster's neck drops.

i like my action low because i dont hit the strings hard. how i play, there is no fret buzz. if i were to hit the strings too hard in the action i have it set on, yes there will be buzz. but the way it came with the average action there was no buzzing.

maybe this should get moved to gear reviews... or ill just copy and paste
# 8
pure
pure
03/17/2006 4:18 pm
just an update.. its been a week and a day and i just checked my tuner and they were each 20 cents off tune. thats not even noticable. and also every day since i got it ive been soing alot of slash and jimmy page solos, so thats alot of bends. you'd expect it to be a different note by now considering how much ive been bending. and oh about the recordings.. i lost my mic and have a cheap sound card that cant plug a guitar into. so until i get my mic back, i cant record..
# 9
pure
pure
03/17/2006 4:39 pm
sorry my tuner slammed on the enter jey and re-submitted this post... and i cant delete it.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.