Having trouble with F major finger placment

Hardrive
Hardrive
02/26/2006 2:45 pm
Hiya all
ive only had a guitar a week so im dumb lol anyway up to now its going great but im trying to learn Angie by rolling Stones the easy simple one. I seem to be doing ok exept for F Major every time i come to this chord it sounds muted and vibraty if you know what I mean. I place my index finger on the first two strings middle finger on the 3rd string and ring finger on the 4th string but every time is sounds crap if i press harder or move my fingers closer to the fret another string is muted and its a visious circle. anybody got any hints ive tried diffrent position for my thumb to get more levarage any tricks to make it easier.
I know im a pain as its mentioned how to play the F Major in the tutorials but i just cant seem to get it. got all the others ok A Minor, E7, G Major, C Major, E minor i need for the song but that damm F major lol
any help will be appriciated.
I am a high bandwidth subsciber in case you thing im being cheaky lol
tried both ways to play it but both sound vibraty or muted if you know what i mean im a total novice.
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9247
yours
Hardrive
If your Fingers aint bleading you havent practiced enough...
# 1
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
02/26/2006 3:24 pm
The F chord is hard, but if you practice it will get better.

Also, I saw a lesson by Schmange that showed an alternative for the Fmaj that used two fingers for the first fret instead of one. You may find that easier.
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 2
Hardrive
Hardrive
02/26/2006 4:33 pm
tried the method of useing 2 fingers for the first fret it seems to sound a lot better just having problems applying enough preaure with the pinky finger lol but its a vast improvment. i was going nowhere with the method of holding down the first two strings with the index finger but pesivered with it as it said that method was useally tought to beginers and i thought that was the easyiest method but in half an hour of trying the other method the Fm sounds clear and well chuffed. Guess ive learnet an important lesson here what one person deems a simple way might not be for another person and experiment with diffrent styles till i find one that is comfterable to me and comes naturaly.
god im dumb

Thanks Tonja_Renee I really appriciate your help. A friend lent me his guitar last week to help get my hand stronger coz ive had an accident and loads of ops the last one was 3 weeks ago and he said by learning the guitar i will be exercising it and wont notice the pain as much as i get something out of it. 2 days later after learning mission imposible and twinkle twinkle little star i bought a guitar coz i didnt want to damage his and its the best thing ive done. wish i had done it years ago. cant seem to put it down have to practice and practice till i get it perfect i love it.
# 3
Tonja_Renee
Tonja_Renee
02/26/2006 4:43 pm
When I was first learning the Fmaj chord - It was very discouraging for me as well. I either had dead strings or they would buzz like crazy...

But I just practiced over and over - trying to ring each string separately, and figure out how much pressure I needed and which way I need to position my figures in order to get each string to ring out right... I also pressed my thumb on the back of the neck right behind the first fret - that helped as well.

I guess you just have to find what works for you... When I learned piano as a child - everything was very cut and dry - there was a right way and everything else was wrong.. But with guitar it seems that the majority of people who play are self taught (or at least the people I have spoken with are), and there are no really set "right" ways to do things...

I haven't been playing for all that long and I can seem to land the F chord pretty well now - well most of the time... :o
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/26/2006 5:42 pm
try this lesson and these tutorials !

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=8285&s_id=76&next_id=8323
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Hardrive
Hardrive
02/26/2006 8:59 pm
Thanks for the help Ive finaly got it. for some reason i can do the two fingers on the first fret but not the index finger across both strings. strange but hey im not complining im well chuffed not perfect every time but practice makes perfect and boy i need lotts of practice lol

anyway thanks for your help i was getting to the point of pulling my hair out.
# 6
64johnny
64johnny
02/26/2006 10:45 pm
:cool:hello my friend . first of all you don't use your 4th finger at all for the f maj. your index finger bars the 1st & 2nd strings on the first fret, your middle finger is placed on the 2nd fret of the third sting, and finally, your third finger will be placed at the third fret of the 4th string. play in the classical pos. without applying to much tension to the board and you'll have it down. peace, and good will my friend, and as always rock on! :cool:
e only had a guitar a week so im dumb lol anyway up to now its going great but im trying to learn Angie by rolling Stones the easy simple one. I seem to be doing ok exept for F Major every time i come to this chord it sounds muted and vibraty if you know what I mean. I place my index finger on the first two strings middle finger on the 3rd string and ring finger on the 4th string but every time is sounds crap if i press harder or move my fingers closer to the fret another string is muted and its a visious circle. anybody got any hints ive tried diffrent position for my thumb to get more levarage any tricks to make it easier.
I know im a pain as its mentioned how to play the F Major in the tutorials but i just cant seem to get it. got all the others ok A Minor, E7, G Major, C Major, E minor i need for the song but that damm F major lol
any help will be appriciated.
I am a high bandwidth subsciber in case you thing im being cheaky lol
tried both ways to play it but both sound vibraty or muted if you know what i mean im a total novice.
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9247
yours
Hardrive[/QUOTE]
:cool: ^dave mustaine for president^ :cool:
# 7
AJ1976
AJ1976
02/28/2006 10:29 am
Hi !

I am facing the very same problem with fretting the F Major chord :mad: I originally picked up the instrument in 1992, but wasn't serious enough and gave up :rolleyes: . I now am serious about learning to play, been tryin to play House of the rising sun by the Animals for a week now and i just can't seem to get the FMajor chord. The first two strings on fret #1 sound muted and buzz almost all the time and its driving me nuts! :mad: I have pretty large fingers( am a 288 pounder :D !) am wondering if my extra fat fingers are gettin in the way of producing a clean sound ? I can play the FMajor Barre chord just fine, but am at a might loss when it comes to the regular way of forming the chord. :rolleyes: Guess i need more patience and practice. :cool: I am not sure if my fingers need to build more grip strength for a firm press :confused:

AJ
Coimbatore, INDIA
# 8
zbowl
zbowl
02/28/2006 2:46 pm
Hi all I'm new to the forum I've been playing for about 8 months now. Took me a bit to get the F major down but persistance paid off and I won..lol...One thing that has helped me a bit is I picked up a finger exerciser from my local guitar world. Its called the Gripmaster and comes in a couple of differant tensions.. I thought that I had strong hands and fingers till I started using this thing but its helped my playing alot.

Z
# 9
mills_thoman
mills_thoman
03/04/2006 12:30 am
Practice Practice Practice :)
# 10
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
03/04/2006 8:09 am
play golf ;)
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 11
mxh
mxh
03/05/2006 11:10 pm
When i just started guitar i played an accoustic, you need to know lots of chords for the stuff i was playing, the f chord was a must. I couldnt do it cuz my fingers were too short. I gave up guitar for like 3 months adnt hen changed to electric... half an year later without even practicing, i can do it!!

I dont know what this has to do with the subject but just keep playing :D :eek:
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.