Your practise schedule?

BluesShredder
BluesShredder
06/20/2001 5:37 pm
Do you follow a routine when you practise?
do you practise at all or you are just playing?

a friend of mine has been playing the guitar for many years but he never practised certain things, he is really good at playing songs by ear but his technique needs a lot of work but he doesnt really care because he is having fun anyway,
i dont try to play songs like he does, instead i am practising many hours to develop my technique and i am having fun too.
Do you enjoy practising?

this is what i am doing, i am thinking where i am weak at
and i spend the next days trying to improve that.
Now i am practising on these:

1)Finger picking
2)Rhythm guitar
3)Double stops
4)Technique (bends, vibrato, pull-off, hammer on, slide)
5)Arpeggios
6)Finger exercises

what do you practise?
Peter
# 1
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
06/20/2001 7:19 pm
i'm not into very constant routines but basicly my practice include:
1) scales playing
2) improvisin
3) playing with CDs
4) learning and writing stuff for my band
that's about all
and i can give a free advise to all the people with good hearing, and who are able to learn things easily by hearing them: do it a lot, it will really help you, to learn new techniques.. my hearing is not that good so i dont do it much, but it can really improve your playing
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 2
Joseph
Joseph
06/21/2001 4:04 am
For the first few years of musical education (when I was very young), I started out on panio (which really helped me gain a good ear for notes and melody, and I also practiced classical guitar religiously. As the years progressed, I concentrated on technique, and instead of learning several songs all the way through, I only focused on several different riffs, certain memorable elements from my favorite songs, and eventually I learned them straight through in their entirety, that is once I gained a higher level of education and patience. When starting out on guitar its very important to maintain a high level of enthusiasm...Overall, there are five basic areas of technique that should recieve constant attention: Single string technique (scales arpeggios);Chords and rhythm; Improvisation; ear training, and sight reading...

As of now, I tend to rely on my instincts, whn it comes to soloing, and everything else in between. But it really does take a lot of effort to get to this point, as well as a lot of confidence in what feels right... If I'm lucky, then I'll get a good solid four hours of playing everyday, but as the days progress, with relationships, and work schedules, theres hardly ever enough time to breathe...But thank God for the weekends..

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 3
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
06/22/2001 11:52 am
Mostly I start with a few exercises to warm up, then make some ecxercises for vibrato.
With the metronome i work with the scales and trying to make more speed.
Arpeggios and sweeppicking.
Also trying to learn the theory behind it.
Then i play along with CD's and jamtracks or make a backing track myself. Then I try everything out I've learned.

The rythm guitarist in the band plays with his feeling, but if you ask to play some chords in one key he looks as if water is burning. He thinks he doesn't need all the exercises. But my playing is developing and compared to the other members of the band i have became much better. I like to play with them we are all the same age but maybe there comes a time i am going to search for musicians who have the same level as me.
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/24/2001 6:35 am
Kinda depends on the situation. If I'm playing in a band I'll go over the sets by myself a few times a day & practice the most difficult parts till they get easy.
If I'm recording in the studio I'll practice the songs I'm doing and listen to a recording of myself to tighten em up, get rid of noise, improve em, make em smoother...whatever they need.. plus get things to the point where you rarely make mistakes cause studio time is expensive. If I'm at home bummin around doing nothing, I'll play my fav songs, go over my 'show off' pieces or just play around & see if there's something new I can come up with. As far as a rigid schedule though, I couldn't handle it. I just let guilt or boredom or whatever that little buzzing in my brain is that says "...gotta get up and practice that thing..." and continue on like that till I don't get that feeling anymore.
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/24/2001 5:25 pm
I have absolutely nothing that could be confused for a practice schedule. I usually noodle around on whatever instrument is closest while I'm online, but most of my practice these days comes from playing with my band. Sometimes I'll take a bass or guitar to work and practice a little on my lunch break. As for technique, I work on whatever is on my mind at the time.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.