high school pretentious bs

iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
02/09/2006 9:13 pm
Okay, so my lovely high school that is number 87 in the country because it forces everyone to take IB classes has yet to make anothe rule to make them look better. Not to mention me pissed off.

Anyone who has gone to University of Virginia may be familiar with this system.

On the back of each test and quiz we are required to put:

"I pledge that I have neither received nor given any of the information of this quiz.

So what do you guys think about this.

I feel insulted, and that it should just be assumed we don't cheat. Or maybe I could compromise and sign something at the beginning of the year. I do not see how this is useful or will stop any cheating that may go on.

When they made our school days longer to make us look better I could deal with that. When they started drug testing for sports, I could care less. When they started putting dumb kids in IB classes, that was annoying. It made the work easier.

We're 200 kids over capacity, and 50 of the kids have "cubbies" instead of luckers. Yet we're number 87 in the country. Show you how messed up statistics can be.

# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/09/2006 9:14 pm
yup, thats virginia schools for you. i never do it tho, its not very enforced around here.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
02/09/2006 9:35 pm
Hey, the thread wasn't titled "hmm".... :confused:

That is screwed up about the signing your name to that, but don't let it get to ya, they could be doing bigger and worst things like video recording the class while a test is given or something.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/10/2006 12:08 am
Technically speaking, wouldn't studing for the quiz be getting information on the quiz. That doesn't stop cheating either, because the last time I made a little cheat sheet I dind't need a copy of a quiz to do it. Thats really sucks that your school makes you sign this, I would expect it from top colleges, but not highschools.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
stackny
stackny
02/10/2006 1:50 am
Man, in NY we've been doin that for....Idk how long. Never really bothered me. Finished the test, scribble my name down, out I go. Guess it is kinda silly to ask such a rediculous question.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 5
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
02/10/2006 2:34 am
I never had to sign anything like that in high school but it wouldnt have really mattered to me. I mean, whatre you gonna do? Not sign it? You need to sign a statement like that when you take the SATs...
# 6
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/10/2006 3:00 am
Had one of those, signed it, didn't really give a ****.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 7
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
02/10/2006 3:37 am
My math teacher was basically like if you don't sign it I won't grade it. If I were younger and more rebelious I definetely wouldn't sign it. But I'm in the last stretch of my senior year, so I'm trying to let it go. I'm telling everyone younger to rebel thoughl. Almost like drug dealing. Yeah!

# 8
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
02/10/2006 5:07 am
I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, as long as you aren't cheating, then it doesn't really make a difference. but I do see where you're coming from on this, and it does sound like a stupid idea to make people have to sign their tests. I mean, seriously, it's only high school.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 9
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/10/2006 8:21 am
We've been putting up with that kind of stuff in Australia for as long as I can remember. Teachers don't trust students not to cheat as a matter of course. Hardly surprising when the university entry cutoffs and fees are so prohibitive, but still, a bit of mutual respect wouldn't hurt.

And you're right, 6strngs - it's only high school. The thing is, there's a culture in the education system that equates success with a university degree. And teachers who make students sign their tests are only making it worse.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 10
macrun95
macrun95
02/10/2006 2:37 pm
Seems to me that if someone is going to cheat they will have no problem lying as well by signing it.
# 11
aschleman
aschleman
02/10/2006 3:19 pm
I know that in college... you have to do a lot of that stuff. Especially in Purdue Universitys engineering department... But its mostly a legallity issue... kind of the... symbolic "leg to stand on" if someone is accused of cheating (the definition of cheating isn't clearly defined in some classes)... If a teacher sees a student cheating he cant say "i was never warned" or "i didn't know we weren't allowed to share answers" or some other bad excuse... As a student I can see where you're coming from in saying that they have a lack of respect for you as human beings... BUT on the same token... respect is earned and not given... so I'm sure if your student body follows the "rules" they will show you a little more respect.
# 12
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
02/10/2006 3:24 pm
Originally Posted by: macrun95Seems to me that if someone is going to cheat they will have no problem lying as well by signing it.

I was gonna say the same thing.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 13
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/10/2006 6:41 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI think what iiholly is getting at is that there is no trust what so ever in the education system anymore, not necessarily the signing itself.

At my College we have to take some I.D. with us to exams as they think that people might get other people to take the exam for them. :confused:

At the school my g/f used to go to, they had video cameras in every room to monitor the lessons, which I found stupid beyond belief.

Yes, some people do cheat, but I think that's bound to happen when we have an economic system built upon excessive self interest and thus a social system which is built around this value; putting plasters over the cracks in the damn wont keep the water in.

I think the thing that's happening at iiholly's school is just a way of trying to say "we're watching you so don't try it" through trying to force conformity through moral obligation ("I wont cheat as I have to sign saying I didn't cheat, if I sign it then it must be the truth").

Hidden curriculum ftw.

*applause*

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 14
acapella
acapella
02/10/2006 8:41 pm
At my school, I spend half the day on GT. :)
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 15
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/11/2006 5:14 am
*sigh* If only I had access to a computer for half the school day... naw, it's my HSC year, I need to stop thinking about the guitar and hit the books!

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 16
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
02/11/2006 5:27 am
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesus*sigh* If only I had access to a computer for half the school day... naw, it's my HSC year, I need to stop thinking about the guitar and hit the books!

blashphemy!

if I'm in the library, then I usually check GT, but I usually do it at home before school. and then at night afer school and work and everything (like right now)
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 17
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
02/12/2006 9:08 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOnei start school on thursday!!! w00t. it's been awhile in the making... i went in and took my assessments and got a 99th percentile placement in English comprehension and composition, which is cool cause it exempted me from a year's worth of classes. Math on the other hand...

I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in the public K-12 schools in the US. it's absolute BS, they try to lump every single kid together into one standardized method of education, and it's just plain not right. People learn in so many different ways... the other thing at always frustrated me is that the schools i went to all had such a heavy freakin emphasis on math, it was ridiculous!

By the time i got to high school, with the fact I had a blindingly high IQ, perfect English, and a keen interest in art and music BUT an ineptitude with math it should have been evident that I was most likely not going to go into a field where i'd need to know advanced trig or calc... sooooo... it's like instead let's screw the kid over by lowering his overall GPA and placing MORE emphasis on how much better he should be at math and play up how much less he is to corporate America as a result!!!

I had a teacher in fifth grade (age 11) who told me that someday I was "going to be standing in an unemployment line, wondering what I did wrong." 11 years old!! When my parents heard that they flipped... and last year I photocopied my tax report, blacked out all the areas of pertinent information, and sent it along to the dumb bitch with a brief note explaining who I was, told her that I'd ended up droppin gout of HS and getting my diploma because of people like her, and that I just wanted to watch which one of her prepubescent students who she insults in the future :rolleyes:

Wow, dude, your life is the story of mine! Except I haven't got the guts to drop out of school - I'm going to see the HSC through, and probably trudge through university after that :o

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 18
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
02/12/2006 6:14 pm
Just thinking about our demented Canadian cirriculum. In grade 10, the entire grade needs to take a literacy test to graduate. It's stupid easy and could be completed by a third grade student. Now, if I can score 80's in english class from grades 1-9, why the hell do they make me write it? It seems to me to be just like another way to get some stats to compare schools in the newspaper...do I smell a conspiracy?
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.