A virtual chord finder

capohead
capohead
01/20/2006 4:21 pm
Click here for an amazing virtual chord finder complete with inversions and other useful stuff :D

Really useful.

A similar idea here

Enjoy ;)

Cheers

Dick
Where The Skeletons Dance CD available here.
From another Plaice CD available here.
Listen & buy single tracks from Tricks Upon Travellers here
My other tracks here
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
01/20/2006 5:24 pm
Those are great! There's a less good one here, if anyone wants:

http://olga.net/programs/web/chordgen/guitar.php
# 2
jstrickl77
jstrickl77
01/20/2006 7:07 pm
If i'd had this the other day I would have saved myself a bunch of time. thanks :cool:
# 3
capohead
capohead
01/20/2006 10:43 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraWell, using a chord dictionary is cool and all, but there are advantages to sitting there with a pen and paper and working the chords out the good old way.

I sincerly hope hope this is a wind up right?

If not then lighten up matey. Yeah by all means learn your chords and write them out if you really want to be pedantic. I've got a BA in music and done the neapolitan sixth stuff but in the end having a resource like this just saves so much time and energy. Why get hung up about it?

Also I thought that posting this in the Open Forum would give it a broader audience which it deserved but that's been deleted as a duplicate post.

Come on guys get real. Sorry if I broke the rules but what harm is there in it?

Cheers

Dick
My other tracks here
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/20/2006 11:20 pm
Originally Posted by: capoheadI sincerly hope hope this is a wind up right?

If not then lighten up matey. Yeah by all means learn your chords and write them out if you really want to be pedantic. I've got a BA in music and done the neapolitan sixth stuff but in the end having a resource like this just saves so much time and energy. Why get hung up about it?

Also I thought that posting this in the Open Forum would give it a broader audience which it deserved but that's been deleted as a duplicate post.

Come on guys get real. Sorry if I broke the rules but what harm is there in it?

Cheers
Dick

Well, it is nice to figure out the chords for yourself in that the knowledge will stick with you better. I mean, if I were writing music outside because it's warm and sunny or something, I'd just have to do the chords from memory, so I think that's the advantage to memorizing the difference between a Fr6, It6, Ger6, and Neopolitan 6. I mean, if one couldn't tell a Vii*7 from a CT*7 or NCT*7 just by recognition and memory, he'd have to use sites like this one as a kind of crutch. Now, they help make the chord finding process much faster, yes, but there's also an advantage to realizing how to construct these chords without the help. I think you're both right.

The only problem with breaking that particular rule is that it crowds the forum and wastes a bit of bandwidth. Your chord finding post belongs in this section, or possibly "places to go sites to see" if it had to be put somewhere else. We just have these divisions for ease.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
capohead
capohead
01/22/2006 7:17 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraLighten up? What I said wasn't meant to come across in a negative manner, it was just a suggestion. I worry that too many up and coming guitarists are relying on chord dictionaries too heavily and not learning what the chords mean in terms of construction. I agree that chord dictionaries are great resources, I use them frequently, but I also know how to work them out with pen and paper.

It comes across that you're the one getting hung up about it, but hey, this is the internet. :o

Ah, the wonders of communication ;)

No, I'm Spartacus.

You're right about working out chords but thinking back to when I started playing the thing that really got me through the early years was a good chord book.

Whilst in theory we should probably all learn our scales many of us never do (me included in this I'm afraid:o) and although we're never going to be the greatest guitarists we enjoy what we're doing and a good chord resource is very useful. As I said I've done my degree and I can work out the chords but in practical terms in the real world it's a hell of a lot easier to have a chord dictionary.

What I particularly liked about this one was the ability to see the different inversions, capo postions, right or left handed fingerings.

I apologise if I misunderstood your post. I thought you were being a bit "snooty" (good English word ) but it seems you weren't (and I've run out of smileys now !)

Cheers

Dick
My other tracks here
# 6
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/02/2006 7:43 pm
Hey, I just found a great site, it shows both chords and scales. If you're a theory-idiot like myself, check it out.

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html
# 7
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/02/2006 9:05 pm
hmm, i like earthman's. but i dont like the fact that it doesnt play the actual notes like capohead's first.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 8
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
02/04/2006 4:22 am
i just realised i havebeen playing F wrongly... i refer toanotherchord book sent to me by my lecturer...

---------
---------
-----X---
------X--
--------X
--------X

this is how i always play F...but according to capohead's site...it's

--------X
------X--
------X--
-------X-
--------X
--------X

i hope u guys understand my diagram...1 dash is one fret... can anyone help clarify this for me? which is the proper way to play F???
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 9
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
02/04/2006 6:00 am
Thanks Capo. I'm not a theory buff so this will come in handy. ;)
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 10
strat-man
strat-man
02/04/2006 5:19 pm
I believe they're both F chords dude, so either way is fine
Strat totin
Six string slingin
Son of a gun

I met my maker, i made him cry, and on my shoulder he asked me why, his people won't fly thru the storm, i said, listen here man they don't even know your born.

strat-man rocks with vox
# 11
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/04/2006 5:36 pm
yeah, both ways are F. the second one is just a bit harder, but also sounds fuller.

the first is the easy, cheap way to do it. and as a beginner its the easiest, most effective way.

once you have better controll of your hands and the fretboard, you can do the second one with ease.

# 12
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
02/04/2006 11:19 pm
cheers mate...i can play both but i think i;ll just stickto the one im the most comfortable with... :)
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 13
rockonn91
rockonn91
02/05/2006 6:57 pm
there you go :p

# 14
iwant2playgetar
iwant2playgetar
02/11/2006 10:31 pm
how do you figure out the chords on your own...
What's the trick, because that would so helpful for me....
[FONT=Impact]Jesus Loves you[/FONT] :)
# 15
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/13/2006 1:56 am
Originally Posted by: iwant2playgetarhow do you figure out the chords on your own...
What's the trick, because that would so helpful for me....

The trick all lies within the intervals that make each chord. If you learn what kind of intervalic steps from note to note that make a certain type of chord, then you can pretty much figure out anything on your own. So start with learning the different intervals then learn what kind of intervals make up specific chords.

For your convenience I'll provide you a list of the intervals.

Root
minor 2nd
major 2nd
minor 3rd
major 3rd
perfect 4th
diminished 5th
perfect 5th
minor 6th
major 6th
minor 7th
major 7th
octave

Of course, there are additional names for intervals that I've not written down, but if you can get this down to a fashion where you can understand it and whip it out in conversation without inducing a migraine then you should be able to wing it in other circumstances.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 16
rightturnonly
Full Access
rightturnonly
Full Access
02/14/2006 8:07 am
WHEN FINDING A CORD BY EAR I USED TO FIRST FIND THE ROOT OF THE CHORD OR THE Ist TONE, WHICH IS THE NOTE THAT THE CORD IS NAMED AFTER EX:C USUALLY FOUND IN THE BASS then I would find the 5th ex: in C the 5th is G. Then I would decide if the cord is MAJ or Mi. I would accomplish this by listening to the chord that was being played and play a Maj 3rd in C >E then a Mi 3rd> in C>Eflt.The right E or 3rd would sound good to my ear. This can also be accomplished by finding the root note which sounds good to all the notes of the chord being played. Then try a maj and a mi 3rd to see which sounded best thus making the chord major or minor. This method works well with basic maj and mi cords. It is the method I used to learn songs by ear long before ther were computers and tablature. HOPE THIS HELPS, JIM
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.