Debate...please give opinions

Ito1221
Ito1221
01/06/2006 5:42 pm
Hey
At school me and this other guy who knows absolutely nothing about music got into a debate. He said metallica was better than Megadeth. IM totally con that, Metallica wrote some good songs but really They are nothing but corporate sellouts and they cant play their instuments. Megadeth has skill in what they play and they are a lot more unique with their style.We took a tally and megadeth won but hes still reluctant...post your votes on this.
# 1
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
01/06/2006 5:45 pm
Boo they both suck! Green Day is the best band of all time!!! :rolleyes:
# 2
Rsam16
Rsam16
01/06/2006 6:37 pm
Originally Posted by: Ito1221Hey
At school me and this other guy who knows absolutely nothing about music got into a debate. He said metallica was better than Megadeth. IM totally con that, Metallica wrote some good songs but really They are nothing but corporate sellouts and they cant play their instuments. Megadeth has skill in what they play and they are a lot more unique with their style.We took a tally and megadeth won but hes still reluctant...post your votes on this.

I don't think anybody here really cares(At least I don't).
These days Skill and talent don't really matter compared to Album sales.
Megadeth may have more Talent but Metallica will always be BIGGER and in this day and age, to the Mainstream audience Bigger means Better.

IMO
[FONT=Century Gothic]RSAM16[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]GuitarTricks Resident Eric Clapton Fan[/FONT]
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
01/06/2006 7:17 pm
I wouldn't neccessarily say that Megadeth was more talented than Metallica... BUT I will say that they played more technical music. Metallica wrote songs that were simple and that kicked you in the face... I think the fact that Metallica came first was a big reason why they're bigger. Also... their music appeals to a wider array of people... I love Metallicas old stuff... but I'm not a fan of Megadeth... the only song that I really listen to a lot is Symphony of Destruction... I like the riff. Also... to say that Metallica is a corporate sell out is pretty easy to SAY... but until you sit at a corporate desk with a check written out to you for multi-millions of dollars... I wouldn't call anyone a sell out. In a sense any musician that ever records an album for money is a sell-out. So don't throw that term around too much. Metallica is a better BAND... they're better at making GOOD songs... Megadeth probably has the edge when it comes to musicianship... but you can be the greatest guitar player in the world with the best drummer, bass player, and vocalist... if you don't have the chemistry to put it all together it really doesn't matter. Megadeth lacks the chemistry.
# 4
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
01/06/2006 7:45 pm
Dude...even Dave Mustaine knows that Metallica is better than Megadeth. He was crying like a little bitch on "Some Kind of Monster." I personally never cared for Megadeth. I've heard the old demo recordings with Dave Mustaine on guitar and they were ok but the solos Kirk Hammett wrote were much better in my opinion.
# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/06/2006 7:52 pm
He was crying....
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
01/06/2006 9:02 pm
I like 'em both, but Metallica is my vote....(I'm basing this on the older Metallica, I haven't like any of their albums since the Black album except for St. Anger).
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 7
srpianojrguitar
srpianojrguitar
01/06/2006 9:28 pm
i dont know, im not a big metaler. I like classic rock, hard rock, and southern fried rock. Ill have to say metallica. I like how they mix it up.
You come into this world naked, you leave this world naked

-You dont leave the world naked

You do if you plan it right

HEYYY AQUAALUNNGGGGG!
# 8
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
01/06/2006 10:36 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaHe was crying....

I dont remember exactly if he was crying or not. Maybe I thought he looked like he could cry. It's been a while since I saw that movie and I only saw it once. Ok I must admit...he may NOT have been crying but I remember him being real sad when talking about how he was kicked out of Metallica and some fans used to yell at him "Megadeth sucks. Metallica rocks." That's not a direct quote tho. I'll have to rewatch that movie and get back to you.
# 9
HDJ
HDJ
01/06/2006 10:38 pm
He didn't literally cry, he was just being a baby saying stuff, whining about being kicked out of Metallica.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 10
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/06/2006 10:54 pm
Yeah Yeah same difference.. :D When they were in with the shrink huh? Yeah he was like I had to sit and watch the success you guys had wah wah wah. :rolleyes:
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
01/07/2006 12:40 am
They're both the same to me. Neither one's really any better than the other.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 12
alucard0941
alucard0941
01/07/2006 4:22 am
I think Megadeth is better now than they ever were. They arent dope heads anymore and make very intelligent songs (lyric and musical wise) Their new album is the best one since RIP.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 13
pogohead
pogohead
01/07/2006 1:59 pm
I think it goes in 2 stages. for the first 5 albums, metallica didnt miss mustaine (i wouldnt either, he's got a severe attitude problem) as hammett is a far superior guitarist. metallica post 1991 are crap. they've produced nothing short of **** for the last 10 years and i've only listened to st. anger twice (i used to consider myself the biggest talica fan around til then). the only problem with the debate is that megadeth are a more consistent band, and theres nothing by them that's COMPLETE crap, but they can't quite beat 'master of puppets' and the black album.

my money's on early metallica/newer trivium :p
# 14
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
01/14/2006 8:19 am
Metallica at their peak outshone all their competitors in the thrash metal scene, but lately they've been losing their stylistic marbles. Megadeth have aged much more gracefully - they've maintained their songwriting flair, musical prowess and ethical integrity in their recent work. I think they've shaped up as a much more interesting band.

Want to see what I mean? Listen to "St. Anger" from start to finish, then listen to the first five minutes of "The System Has Failed". The latter snippet contains more musical and lyrical content worth noticing than the former album in its entirety.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 15
Ito1221
Ito1221
01/15/2006 2:25 am
Originally Posted by: pogoheadI think it goes in 2 stages. for the first 5 albums, metallica didnt miss mustaine (i wouldnt either, he's got a severe attitude problem) as hammett is a far superior guitarist. metallica post 1991 are crap. they've produced nothing short of **** for the last 10 years and i've only listened to st. anger twice (i used to consider myself the biggest talica fan around til then). the only problem with the debate is that megadeth are a more consistent band, and theres nothing by them that's COMPLETE crap, but they can't quite beat 'master of puppets' and the black album.

my money's on early metallica/newer trivium :p

How can you possibly say hammet is superior...HAMMET HAS NO GUITAR TALENT.....if you have watched some kind of monster or looked in the album jackets, you will see that hetfield wrote most of the stuff...and hammet never ever leaves his scale box or does anything to make him sound good...even his tapping is just the flaring of fingers
# 16
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/15/2006 2:35 am
Originally Posted by: Ito1221How can you possibly say hammet is superior...HAMMET HAS NO GUITAR TALENT.....if you have watched some kind of monster or looked in the album jackets, you will see that hetfield wrote most of the stuff...and hammet never ever leaves his scale box or does anything to make him sound good...even his tapping is just the flaring of fingers

Yeah, well, technically he's better than Mustaine, but he doesn't hold a candle to Marty Friedman.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 17
Ito1221
Ito1221
01/15/2006 2:53 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonYeah, well, technically he's better than Mustaine, but he doesn't hold a candle to Marty Friedman.

sorry dude no way in hell....hammett is good for nothing....and my two favorite songs by metallica were those with megadeth and lots of ppl agree the songs with dave are superior
# 18
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/15/2006 3:17 am
Originally Posted by: Ito1221sorry dude no way in hell....hammett is good for nothing....and my two favorite songs by metallica were those with megadeth and lots of ppl agree the songs with dave are superior

Well, no, I agree that Dave is a better songwriter, but he's much slower a lead guitarist than Hammet, at least, he was when they replaced him. Now he's better, yes, but then? I think not.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 19
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
01/15/2006 5:40 am
I think Metallica was the better band ten years ago. :D
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.