anyone been on carvin.com recently?

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/10/2005 3:42 pm
if so, have you seen the countdown to the new store opening in sacremento? well guess where I'm going today :D just thought I'd come make you all jealous. now I need to leave though, I'm running a little late
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
12/10/2005 5:26 pm
psh LUCKY.

yeah ive been checking out their site cuz im planning on making my own guitar some time and they have nice stuff on there.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/10/2005 10:23 pm
well, I just got back, and I'm back for 20 minutes until I go to work. it was so much fun! making an hour and a half trip there, getting there,and at first there were only like 15 people, then more started showing up... so it got pretty crowded since it was a pretty small shop.. I tried out one of the MTS tube amps, which was pretty nice, and one of the vintage tube amps, which was nice, but too fuzzy and vintage sounding for my tastes (guess I should have guessed since it's name was "vintage" :rolleyes: ) I tried out a guitar, couldn't tell you what it was since I don't know much about the different carvin guitars... but it was priced around $1400, it was a neck-thru guitar, had a trem type bridge (though it wasn't a trem) had a flame maple top, had an awesome blue/black finish, two humbuckers, and had more switched and knobs on the guitar then I knew what to do with!

well on our way home, we decided to make a pit stop at guitar center.. I played a schecter c-1 plus through a marshall JCM2000 tsl100 half stack (which didn't sound as good as the last time I had used that amp), a marshall mode 4 amp (which was REALLY nice!) and my new favorite amp: a B-52 AT100, which had some amazing tone.

then we came home, and that was my day, it was so fricken fun!
my spyspace
# 3
Mattd
Mattd
12/11/2005 12:18 am
did you try out one of their new V3's? how'd it sound? i'm heading out to aneheim in january for NAMM, i'm going to try and stop by their santa ana store sometime.
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/11/2005 8:15 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOnePsh. The Carvin store up on Sunset in Hollywood has only been there since, what, like before I moved here :rolleyes:

Just kidding man... you remind me of me when I first started working :D but there is this one stretch here where within one block you have Guitar Center, the Mesa Boogie outlet, Carvin, Sam Ash, Valdez Guitars (luthier), and two or three independent shops. You all should come see it some time...

hey I'll be in so-cal after christmas, I think we are going to disneyland, legoland, etc. on december 26th-29th. I'll see if I can go waste a few hours there while my parents and siblings go do something boring (which is pretty much what this whole vacation will be to me since going to an amusement park with your family has got to be one of the most boring things you can do... especialyy when it's places like disneyland and legoland that don't even have roller coasters that go higher then 4 feet off the ground or faster then 15 mph!)

so where exactly is this stretch of shops located?
my spyspace
# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/11/2005 8:18 am
Originally Posted by: Mattddid you try out one of their new V3's? how'd it sound? i'm heading out to aneheim in january for NAMM, i'm going to try and stop by their santa ana store sometime.

sorry, I didn't try one, the store was really crowded and I only got about 6-7 minutes in the sound proof room where they put all the amps, then I had to leave because there was a line outside the door.

but hey, while I was playing the electric plugged in, an employee looking person took a picture of me, and then another picture later when I tried out a 12-string acoustic, so I may be on their website or something soon!!!
my spyspace
# 6
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/12/2005 5:06 am
you sure this doesn't belong in the places to go, sites to see forum?
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 7
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/12/2005 7:01 am
Originally Posted by: tehplatypusyou sure this doesn't belong in the places to go, sites to see forum?

yes, i'm sure... but it seems it's been moved there anyway since some of the mods don't actually read the message, just what the title says..

Mod edit in bold.
my spyspace
# 8
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/12/2005 2:17 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsyes, i'm sure... but it seems it's been moved there anyway since some of the mods don't actually read the message, just what the title says..

Mod edit in bold.

I disavow any responsibility. However, I've moved it out of "Places to go...". Hope you're happy now.

NB: I'm sincerely hoping that you were being tongue-in-cheek with your above message.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/12/2005 5:30 pm
I moved the thread, after reading all of the posts, (including the post by tehplatypus) based on the "Places to go" aspect of the subject matter.

Just because gear seen at the store was being discussed, does not mean it belongs in the Gear Disussion part of the forum.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/12/2005 6:50 pm
I don't really think it's a gear discussion or a places to go, sites to see thread.. since the subject of the thread was that I was going to go to the carvin store. and we don't have a seperate forum just for the shops we are going to (nor am I saying that jon should make one) so it felt like an open discussion...

I don't mean to offend anyone, and I definately don't want to get banned for this statement, but I think you mods are going overboard with the whole thread moving thing. I mean, yeah, there are plenty of threads in the open discussion that very obviously don't belong there, and yes they should be moved.. but on threads like this? it kinda sorta talks about gear, and it kinda sorta talks about the carvin website, but neither of those are the central theme of the thread. it's like you are trying to move out almost every thread out of the open discussion, like it's an unspeakable evil to post there. I do try to post in the correct forum, but some of the threads being moved really confuse me.. GT never used to be this way, why all of the sudden is it that 9 out of 10 threads are being moved out of the open discussion?

again, I don't want to get banned for this, so if that is pushing the line, then delete my post, lower my reputation points, whatever you have to do. but don't you think you are going just a little overboard with the thread moving?
my spyspace
# 11
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
12/12/2005 8:24 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsI don't really think it's a gear discussion or a places to go, sites to see thread.. since the subject of the thread was that I was going to go to the carvin store. and we don't have a seperate forum just for the shops we are going to (nor am I saying that jon should make one) so it felt like an open discussion...

I don't mean to offend anyone, and I definately don't want to get banned for this statement, but I think you mods are going overboard with the whole thread moving thing. I mean, yeah, there are plenty of threads in the open discussion that very obviously don't belong there, and yes they should be moved.. but on threads like this? it kinda sorta talks about gear, and it kinda sorta talks about the carvin website, but neither of those are the central theme of the thread. it's like you are trying to move out almost every thread out of the open discussion, like it's an unspeakable evil to post there. I do try to post in the correct forum, but some of the threads being moved really confuse me.. GT never used to be this way, why all of the sudden is it that 9 out of 10 threads are being moved out of the open discussion?

again, I don't want to get banned for this, so if that is pushing the line, then delete my post, lower my reputation points, whatever you have to do. but don't you think you are going just a little overboard with the thread moving?

that's actually why i made that comment....because the mods seem to have gone a little move crazy with posts. they're going all FDR micromanaging this war of posts going on or something. sorry bout messing with your topic but i thought the irony would show through enough.[/so sorry]
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 12
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/13/2005 1:00 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsI don't really think it's a gear discussion or a places to go, sites to see thread.. since the subject of the thread was that I was going to go to the carvin store. and we don't have a seperate forum just for the shops we are going to (nor am I saying that jon should make one) so it felt like an open discussion...

As long as there is breath in my lungs and blood in my veins, I will continue to move threads to the right section!!!!!!

Is it the mods (read: me) who are going overboard with the thread moving, or is it the members going overboard with the thread misposting? Back before you were here, that was all I did. Actually, a long, long time ago, I would actually edit member's posts if UBB tags were messed up or if they were posted as one big paragraph. So, nothing has "gone overboard"... there has been no change in our (read: my) modus operandi. I'm still a perfectionist, I still have OCD and therefore am still bothered by seeing threads in the wrong place.

And, frankly, what is the point of having sections if we're just going to post everything in one spot? Why not just amalgamate the entire forum into one section? Imagine the confusion. What we're trying to do is, not tyrannize you, but make the GT Forum more pleasant and user-friendly. Someone wants to learn more about tech stuff, he can go to Tech Talk and read some back catalogue. Someone wants to learn about some bands he's never heard of, he can browse through Famous Bands and Artists. If you want to read all the other miscellany and non-guitar related excess, you can go nuts in the Open Discussion area. That's the point. So, try to look beyond the "rules" and find the reason behind them. That way we'll all be contributing to what is by far the best guitar forum on the internet.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 13
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/13/2005 1:17 am
that makes sense, and I understand that. if someone posts a gear question in the open discussion, it should be moved to the gear discussion. I agree. but if someone posts talking about a new shop they were going to go to, wouldn't that be in open discussion?

I can understand thread moving when it's very obvious that it's in the wrong place. but when it really is just about something like going to a new shop, then wouldn't that be non-guitar related, hence meaning it should belong in the open discussion?
my spyspace
# 14
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
12/13/2005 2:31 am
ANYWAYS, back to the talk about Carvin...For those of you who live near one of their stores, have any of you tried the new V3 amp? It looks like a beast! It's a 3 channel amp (2 distortion and one clean channel) with a bunch of extra switches and knobs for tone shaping. and at $899 its about half of what you'd pay for a new Mesa Boogie Dual Rec 3 channel. Try it out and enlighten me!
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/13/2005 4:03 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsthat makes sense, and I understand that. if someone posts a gear question in the open discussion, it should be moved to the gear discussion. I agree. but if someone posts talking about a new shop they were going to go to, wouldn't that be in open discussion?...

It should be obvious to you that talking about [u]going to[/u] a shop is appropriate to the Places to go section! :(

This thread isn't discussing the relative merits of different pieces of equipment, it's about going to a store!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 16
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/13/2005 4:05 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsIt should be obvious to you that talking about [u]going to[/u] a shop is appropriate to the Places to go section! :(

I giggle with delight as this new drama unfolds.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.