Marshall JCM600 & Boss MT-2 -> Roland Cube

blizeH
blizeH
12/06/2005 10:01 pm
Hi there, long story short, I've just paid way over the odds for a Marshall JCM600 (£220) and a few months down the line it's broke*, I can't be bothered fixing it since I've been told I'm better off with a new one, but I've also just purchased a Boss MT-2 Metalzone overdrive pedal (£55) to complement it.

I've been advised by a friend just to sell both the JCM600 and the Boss MT-2 and purchase a 60W Roland Cube and use that both at home for practising as well as if I ever get good enough for gigs, it'll be an okay starting amp/combo thingy.

Is this the best thing to do? Should I hold onto the MT-2 pedal? Should I get a different combo? In all honesty, my friend's let me borrow his 15W Roland Cube and it sounds really sweet compared to the distortion on my old amp, really really good, and I assume that the 60W will sound even better again!

Any advice much appreciated, thank you :-)
# 1
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
12/07/2005 2:09 am
Originally Posted by: blizeHHi there, long story short, I've just paid way over the odds for a Marshall JCM600 (£220) and a few months down the line it's broke*, I can't be bothered fixing it since I've been told I'm better off with a new one, but I've also just purchased a Boss MT-2 Metalzone overdrive pedal (£55) to complement it.

I've been advised by a friend just to sell both the JCM600 and the Boss MT-2 and purchase a 60W Roland Cube and use that both at home for practising as well as if I ever get good enough for gigs, it'll be an okay starting amp/combo thingy.

Is this the best thing to do? Should I hold onto the MT-2 pedal? Should I get a different combo? In all honesty, my friend's let me borrow his 15W Roland Cube and it sounds really sweet compared to the distortion on my old amp, really really good, and I assume that the 60W will sound even better again!

Any advice much appreciated, thank you :-)

I have the MICRO CUBE and the little SOB puts out alotta sound. I like the CUBE series by Roland. I think the 60W CUBE would be pretty bad ass.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/07/2005 4:29 am
I'd personally get the Marshall fixed. That's mainly because I'm a tube amp guy, and love the Marshall crunch.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/07/2005 5:52 am
If it can be fixed. Fix it. You'll be happier down the road.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
blizeH
blizeH
12/07/2005 7:49 am
Thanks for the replies guys, I think it's only one of the valve's gone, basically, when I turn it on, the red power light comes on, but when I try flipping the standby switch the green light doesn't come on, and there's no sound at all apart from background fuzz! ;(

In all honesty I've found it a little impractical for practicising too, it doesn't sound too good when it's quiet, it takes a while to warmup/warmdown and as has just been proved, it's potentially unreliable! ;(
# 5
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/07/2005 1:59 pm
Tubes do go bad over time. That's just something that's going to happen reguardless. The amp would defanately sound much better with some decent volume to it, but that's how tube amps are. If I were you, I would take the amp to a good amp tech, and have them go through the amp to make sure everything is working properly, and do a full retube. This will probably cost around +/-$150(USD) depending on the brand of tubes, and what the tech charges. In the long run, it will be worth it. When practicing at home where the volume doesn't need to be loud, just use the Metal Zone for your distortion.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, just telling you what I would do. You just can't beat a tube amp, and I've heard a JCM600 1x12 combo and thought it sounded wonderful. Each to their own though. ;)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 6
blizeH
blizeH
12/08/2005 2:04 pm
Hey, many thanks again for the reply!

Would you ever believe my amp is working again now? I'm not sure what I did, just messed around with the connections on the back a little and it's fine now! I'm almost certain he re-fitted all of the valves/tubes before I purchased the amp anyway, he took it in to a music shop for a service at least.

The problem is, I'm still not 100% sure whether I want to keep the amp and metalzone pedal or whether just to go ahead and purchase a Roland Cube!

The advantages of the original are:
- Valve sound is superior at higher volume levels
- MT-2 pedal sounds rather tastey
- Errr...

The advantages of the cube are:
- Sounds great at any volume level
- Numerous built in effects, very good overdrive channel anyway
- No need to warmup/warmdown the amp, just switch it on and play (ideal for quick 10 minute sessions before work!)
- Headphone socket - play as loud as I like without anyone hearing my copious amounts of mistakes
- Nice and compact and light
- Very cheap, quite possibly cheaper than the price of the JCM600 and MT-2 combined, so if I sold those and bought a Roland Cube... hmm..!

I'm not very good at the moment, not very good at all, ideally I want something I can just pickup and play easily without any hassle too so I'm constantly being swayed towards the Roland. The problem is, if I got good enough to play in a band and play gigs (hopefully going to be joining a band soon with people of a similar level, would help me progress no end) I highly doubt the Cube would be any good for playing at gigs, but then again, would the JCM600?

Thanks again, much appreciated
# 7
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
12/08/2005 6:55 pm
Let's not forget the CUBE is portable and can run on six AA batteries. You could always use the line out to the PA at a gig. I own a halfstack but I still love my CUBE.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 8
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/08/2005 9:06 pm
The JCM is your best bet. Save your money for a practice amp, even if it's not the Roland. A Marshall is top of the line. Getting rid of something like that is imo foolish.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.