View post (Marshall JCM600 & Boss MT-2 -> Roland Cube)

View thread

blizeH
blizeH
12/08/2005 2:04 pm
Hey, many thanks again for the reply!

Would you ever believe my amp is working again now? I'm not sure what I did, just messed around with the connections on the back a little and it's fine now! I'm almost certain he re-fitted all of the valves/tubes before I purchased the amp anyway, he took it in to a music shop for a service at least.

The problem is, I'm still not 100% sure whether I want to keep the amp and metalzone pedal or whether just to go ahead and purchase a Roland Cube!

The advantages of the original are:
- Valve sound is superior at higher volume levels
- MT-2 pedal sounds rather tastey
- Errr...

The advantages of the cube are:
- Sounds great at any volume level
- Numerous built in effects, very good overdrive channel anyway
- No need to warmup/warmdown the amp, just switch it on and play (ideal for quick 10 minute sessions before work!)
- Headphone socket - play as loud as I like without anyone hearing my copious amounts of mistakes
- Nice and compact and light
- Very cheap, quite possibly cheaper than the price of the JCM600 and MT-2 combined, so if I sold those and bought a Roland Cube... hmm..!

I'm not very good at the moment, not very good at all, ideally I want something I can just pickup and play easily without any hassle too so I'm constantly being swayed towards the Roland. The problem is, if I got good enough to play in a band and play gigs (hopefully going to be joining a band soon with people of a similar level, would help me progress no end) I highly doubt the Cube would be any good for playing at gigs, but then again, would the JCM600?

Thanks again, much appreciated