Any Sports Nuts Amongst Us?

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/02/2005 5:50 am
Originally Posted by: magicninjaTry watching the Aarons 499 and waiting for the 23 car pile up. That's suspense my boy!

exactly, someone has to crash before it gets interesting. I like to see racing that requires some driving skill, have you seen drift racing? watching them do that is hard to believe.

I also like to watch normal street cars racing, I don't quite know what that kind of racing is called, but where they take things like porsches and ferraris and race them on tracks. sometimes the cars are modified, sometimes not. if you know what this type of racing is called, let me know :cool:
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/02/2005 5:54 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsexactly, someone has to crash before it gets interesting. I like to see racing that requires some driving skill, have you seen drift racing? watching them do that is hard to believe.

I also like to watch normal street cars racing, I don't quite know what that kind of racing is called, but where they take things like porsches and ferraris and race them on tracks. sometimes the cars are modified, sometimes not. if you know what this type of racing is called, let me know :cool:

I can't take a turn at 180. So it must require some skill at some point. Street racing is called street racing. There is also drag racing which I find ok. Sorry didn't go through it all but I think what you are refering to is Les Mans. with a frenchy accent not spanish.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/02/2005 6:01 am
Originally Posted by: magicninjaI can't take a turn at 180. So it must require some skill at some point. Street racing is called street racing. There is also drag racing which I find ok. Sorry didn't go through it all but I think what you are refering to is Les Mans. with a frenchy accent not spanish.

Les mans sounds right...

I wasn't referring to street racing, though i like that too, I meant taking production cars onto circuit tracks.

I also like drag racing.

and you could probably take a turn at 180 if you were using a nascar stock car. obviously not in your everyday street car. the track is really wide, so basically you start in one of the inner lanes and end up in one of the outer lans (ok, so they are imaginary lanes, but you know what I mean) thus making it really easy. as long as you don't oversteer you'll be fine. if you are understeering, but can't turn any more without losing control, then you're going too fast. it's really not that hard.
my spyspace
# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/02/2005 6:05 am
On paper it don't seem that hard but I've pushed my car to 125 and it scared the expletive deleted out of me. Just having the balls to take a turn that fast would take a while to grow.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
stackny
stackny
12/02/2005 6:12 am
Originally Posted by: magicninjaOn paper it don't seem that hard but I've pushed my car to 125 and it scared the expletive deleted out of me. Just having the balls to take a turn that fast would take a while to grow.

Kind of depends on the cirucmstances, and I think it would be different in one of those little matchbox cars. I got my 92 Silverado up to 115 once which was pretty interesting.
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 5
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
12/02/2005 5:22 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsexactly, someone has to crash before it gets interesting. I like to see racing that requires some driving skill, have you seen drift racing? watching them do that is hard to believe.

So, you're saying it takes no skill at all to drive a car 180mph for 500 miles with temperatures exceeding 160 degrees inside the car with 43 cars on the track and everyone wants to be in first. Hmmmmmm, I beg to differ my friend.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 6
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/02/2005 5:33 pm
Originally Posted by: bigbuda...with temperatures exceeding 160 degrees inside the car...

There's no AC? Can't one at least crack a window open a little or something?
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 7
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
12/02/2005 6:14 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiThere's no AC? Can't one at least crack a window open a little or something?

They onlyl use netting in the windows so I'm sure they get a draft. Pun intended. They also use a cooling box and route a hose into the helmet but I don't know how much that would help when it's that hot inside the car.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 8
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/02/2005 6:58 pm
Originally Posted by: bigbudaSo, you're saying it takes no skill at all to drive a car 180mph for 500 miles with temperatures exceeding 160 degrees inside the car with 43 cars on the track and everyone wants to be in first. Hmmmmmm, I beg to differ my friend.

prrrrreeetttttyyy much... yeah
my spyspace
# 9
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/02/2005 11:29 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaOn paper it don't seem that hard but I've pushed my car to 125 and it scared the expletive deleted out of me.

That's because you've got good sense.

At 125 mph I'm pretty sure it takes about 2 football fields to stop the average car. At nascar speeds it probably takes over 1k feet to stop even with excellent brakes. High speeds are a pretty damn fine way to turn yourself into a slushie.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 10
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/02/2005 11:49 pm
ok, alright, it takes some skill, but can we agree that it takes much less skill then, say, rally racing?
my spyspace
# 11
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
12/03/2005 3:14 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsok, alright, it takes some skill, but can we agree that it takes much less skill then, say, rally racing?

Hmmmm, NO. When I see rally racers bump drafting at 195 maybe I'll think about it. Or maybe when rally racers go three or four wide into a corner at 160, then I might be impressed. It takes way more skill to drive in Nascar bro. That's my opinion anyway.
# 12
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/03/2005 3:21 am
F1 racing is alright..flying that fast around such tight corners.What kind of horses are those things packing now?Like 1200+?
Try once,fail twice...
# 13
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/03/2005 7:47 am
Originally Posted by: bigbudaHmmmm, NO. When I see rally racers bump drafting at 195 maybe I'll think about it. Or maybe when rally racers go three or four wide into a corner at 160, then I might be impressed. It takes way more skill to drive in Nascar bro. That's my opinion anyway.

pshht! 160 miles around a corner... ON ASPHALT!!! rally racers may not go that fast, but it's way harder in that their track is usually dirt and mud, though sometimes it can be snow, or gravel, or sometimes they just go airborn and get off the track completely! plus they are winding their way around trees, and various other obstacles, they don't make the long wide turns of nascar, they make several tight corners, they go down extremely narrow tracks at times, it's just so much harder then nascar

observe
my spyspace
# 14
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/03/2005 8:03 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrspshht! 160 miles around a corner... ON ASPHALT!!!

Have you ever driven that fast on any surface? It's a whole lot faster than it looks like in movies and video games.

Race tracks look rediculously wide when you're driving slowly or looking at them from a distance, but they start looking like Italian back alleys when you get moving. Having to share the space with other drivers who know it's in their best interest for you to have problems doesn't help anything.

Rally racing does take skill, but if the proverbial obscenity ever hits the fan it's a whole lot less intense.
-A.H.
# 15
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
12/04/2005 1:09 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrspshht! 160 miles around a corner... ON ASPHALT!!! rally racers may not go that fast, but it's way harder in that their track is usually dirt and mud, though sometimes it can be snow, or gravel, or sometimes they just go airborn and get off the track completely! plus they are winding their way around trees, and various other obstacles, they don't make the long wide turns of nascar, they make several tight corners, they go down extremely narrow tracks at times, it's just so much harder then nascar

observe

Well after watching that I can say.....BORING! Where are the other cars? What are they racing against, best time. Anyone can drive a car on a road with no other cars around to obscure them. Looks like a trip I took to Colorado one time.
# 16
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/04/2005 7:58 am
dude, i've driven on an extremely narrow road where you basically have less then a foot on either side of your car and the road just drops from there, if you have one wheel fall off, you basically will total your car, if not get killed. even though there were no other cars on the road, it was still pretty hard. now to do that, except going about 3 times the speed I was going, and make the road icy... that takes some serious skill!

honestly, if you think that that's easier then nascar, then I don''t know what to say.. if you want to see some racing that takes alot of skill, and there is more then one car on the road, check out some drifting... alot of the time with drifting, there is only one car, but sometimes there can be 2 or more, which is when it gets interesting. look up some drift videos. but there are also alot of amateur drifters, so, make sure you find some pro drifting, look up formula D videos, they can get pretty crazy on there.
my spyspace
# 17
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
12/04/2005 11:09 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsdude, i've driven on an extremely narrow road where you basically have less then a foot on either side of your car and the road just drops from there, if you have one wheel fall off, you basically will total your car, if not get killed. even though there were no other cars on the road, it was still pretty hard. now to do that, except going about 3 times the speed I was going, and make the road icy... that takes some serious skill!

honestly, if you think that that's easier then nascar, then I don''t know what to say.. if you want to see some racing that takes alot of skill, and there is more then one car on the road, check out some drifting... alot of the time with drifting, there is only one car, but sometimes there can be 2 or more, which is when it gets interesting. look up some drift videos. but there are also alot of amateur drifters, so, make sure you find some pro drifting, look up formula D videos, they can get pretty crazy on there.

Drifting aint nothin. I do it for fun on the farm every day. As for fast driving, maybe you should watch the video again. It looks like the guy is going 45 or 50mph. That's not fast in my book. Enjoy your sport though bro. To each his own. ;)
# 18
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
12/04/2005 4:37 pm
Haha...you're both wrong. I'd say any form of moto(cycle) racing takes more overall skill (and bravery) than driving. :)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 19
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
12/04/2005 5:55 pm
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdHaha...you're both wrong. I'd say any form of moto(cycle) racing takes more overall skill (and bravery) than driving. :)

I'd have to agree with you on that.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.