driving a stick

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/16/2005 12:51 am
grr... my parents didn't want me to learn to drive stick until after I had my license... even though the only car I can really drive now is a stick... which means i have to learn...

my uncle took me out to try and teach me two days ago... I was actually able to start it up maybe one out of every 20 trys

after practicing for over an hour today, I can now get it 1 out of every 4 trys. and once I get moving I can shift smoothly into higher gears, I can also down shift. it's just starting up I need help with. it seems at times, I'm not giving enough gas and/or releasing the clutch too fast. or I give it the right amount of gas, but don't release fast enough, or my personal favorite: giving it way too much gas, and releasing really fast and leaving some skid marks on the road...

any tips for the aspiring manual-transmission driver?
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/16/2005 1:39 am
Get on a level serface.. somewhere where the car won't move when you let off the break. Push down on the clutch, put the car in first, don't give it any gas, slowely let off the clutch until you start to feel the gears catch/engine bog down, and hold the clutch right there. now slowely start to ease out on it some more (still no gas) and the car should begin to start to move forward. You've just found where the catch point is. Do that a couple of times until you can do it smoothly, and slowely work in giving it gas.

Hope that helps.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/16/2005 1:40 am
just keep at it, you'll get the feel of it. I learned to drive a stick shift in an old Ford in the middle of a field. It just takes a little time.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/16/2005 1:47 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaGet on a level serface.. somewhere where the car won't move when you let off the break. Push down on the clutch, put the car in first, don't give it any gas, slowely let off the clutch until you start to feel the gears catch/engine bog down, and hold the clutch right there. now slowely start to ease out on it some more (still no gas) and the car should begin to start to move forward. You've just found where the catch point is. Do that a couple of times until you can do it smoothly, and slowely work in giving it gas.

Hope that helps.

yeah, I've been trying that... somehow I manage to stall it doing that too sometimes... I am getting more and more used to it though... hopefully I'll actually be able to drive on roads in a couple days without having to worry about stalling it at every red light and stop sign :rolleyes:
my spyspace
# 4
rockonn91
rockonn91
11/16/2005 2:18 am
mannn stick is one of the weirdest things...you can go real fast real quick tho :D

just gettin that clutch down. its so weird.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 5
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/16/2005 3:54 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraYou mean you learn to drive in an automatic in the states? Wtf?

Yeah, most folks like the automatic better. Crazy isn't it.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/16/2005 4:26 pm
Originally Posted by: bigbudaYeah, most folks like the automatic better. Crazy isn't it.

The less I have to think about while I'm driving the more thought I can dedicate to what I'm supposed to be watching... the road.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
11/16/2005 4:40 pm
I used to hate automatics, and still prefer a manual, but I'm glad my everyday truck is an automatic. With as much trouble as my right shoulder and elbow have been giving me over this past year, I'm glad I'm not having to fool with a stick. They both have their pros and cons. They're defanately not for everybody though.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/16/2005 5:11 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraYou mean you learn to drive in an automatic in the states? Wtf?

that was my parents fault... they wanted me to learn on an automatic to get the basics of driving down, so I'd have one less thing to think about. then after getting my license then add in the manual. personally, I'd rather drive a manual, they are cheaper, get better gas milage, and they can go faster, and you get more control over your vehicle.
my spyspace
# 9
MaxWedge
MaxWedge
11/16/2005 5:12 pm
Driving a four speed is a rythym thing. If only I could rock with my stratocaster as well as I rock with my '70 340 four speed 'cuda.
# 10
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/16/2005 5:15 pm
Originally Posted by: MaxWedgeDriving a four speed is a rythym thing. If only I could rock with my stratocaster as well as I rock with my '70 340 four speed 'cuda.

I've got a 5-speed 94' honda civic sedan... sexy I know...
my spyspace
# 11
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
11/16/2005 8:56 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraDude, passing your driving test must be way easy in the states.

Yes, it's very easy.

I don't know the actual statistic, but I'm pretty sure that most people in these United States drive an automatic.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 12
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/16/2005 10:46 pm
People are just scared to drive sticks cause they think its hard and will be impossible to learn. I learned to do it by myself w/ a ranger a few years back.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 13
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/16/2005 10:54 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOneaccording to the LADA (Los Angeles Dealer's association), when I worked for them, only 1 in every 20 cars sold was a stick here. People are convinced that it's impossible to drive a stick in traffic, and that automatics are safer.

It's not impossible, just hard. Your left leg gets exhausted from pushing the clutch in all the time. After awhile you start doing anything you can to avoid using the clutch...like sitting there until the cars start honking for you to move up, or going really slow in 2nd gear so that you don't have to slow down for lights.
# 14
rockonn91
rockonn91
11/17/2005 1:13 am
Originally Posted by: elklandercc I learned to do it by myself w/ a ranger a few years back.

heh, i learned to drive on a ranger.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 15
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/17/2005 2:31 am
About a month after I got my license my step-dad decided to teach me how to drive stick on a '91 S-10 which later became mine. I grinded and stalled it a bit, but was pretty good after a couple of outings. Then he decided for us to go up this absurdly steep and long hill. I learnt a valuable lesson about down shifting that day when you're losing power.

Here's the ol' '91 S-10 I drove all through college and learned stick on. Notice the beautiful Ohio rust. I like that cars don't rust where it doesn't snow.

Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 16
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/17/2005 6:47 am
Originally Posted by: LeedoggNotice the beautiful Ohio rust. I like that cars don't rust where it doesn't snow.

there arn't many cars here in california that have rust... the ones that do are EXTREMELY old... like 60's and 70's and some 80's cars

you'd be surprised how many 60's mustangs you can see drving around here... some are rebuilt and look really nice. the others are original everything, and are completely rusted..
my spyspace
# 17
killerqueen
killerqueen
11/19/2005 2:55 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsyeah, I've been trying that... somehow I manage to stall it doing that too sometimes... I am getting more and more used to it though... hopefully I'll actually be able to drive on roads in a couple days without having to worry about stalling it at every red light and stop sign :rolleyes:

stalling is such a pain... thats what i spent most of my first weeks of driving doing! advice to anyone who will listen : Dont learn in a diesel!!

anywhoo, i'll try to tell you how it was explained to me: start the car (somewhere level as suggested earlier) with the handbrake on, press the accelerator lightly till the dial shows about 2000 revs, let the clutch up VERY SLOWLY until you feel the car start to pull forward (biting point). then put the handbrake down and let the clutch up gently. you should start to move forward... if you stall you might need to give it a few more revs as you pull away.

hopefully that's helpful! :cool:
Elvis Lives (in my basement)
# 18
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/19/2005 10:22 pm
first of all... I don't know where 2000 RPM's is on my car, because my car doesn't have a tachometer :eek: I have to listen to the engine to know when to shift.

secondly, I am getting the hang of it now, I really only stall it when trying to start going when my car isn't on a level surface, and it's going uphill. and I've mastered the art of the "rolling stop", so I don't need to come to a complete stop at every stop sign. lol. but I am getting the hang of it, and I drove maybe 5 miles on real roads (real meaning that there were actually other cars on the road... and since it was a saturday, there were lots of other cars on the road...) today. it's getting easier and easier, and I thank you all for replying.
my spyspace
# 19
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/20/2005 3:29 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraSeriously, wtf. In the U.K. you can't even take your final test until you've mastered all that stuff. :eek:

well, in the US, you can choose to take your test with an automatic, or a stick shift. and you can go back to driver's training to learn to drive stick if you want to. but I like learning things on my own. which is also why i've never had guitar lessons. lol
my spyspace
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.