Is this smug?

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/11/2005 9:31 pm
Originally Posted by: WilldridgeIt's been a while, but my last "revelation" was listening back to a solo I played on a friend's song and thinking to myself "man - that tone rocks!"...(again, meet the Egotist, :p)

I've been playing around more with trying to find my own sound rather than techniques recently...I'm still striving and far from impressed, although I am 'satisified' with the results so far... ;)

That's got to be one of the coolest feelings. Growing and developing your own personal way of doing things and being able to feel it as it happens. Who could ask for more? It'll be a sad day indeed if that feeling ever goes away. Of course then I'd probably be compelled to express such a feeling via music to which I would end up doing something new and rediscovering that same feeling which would continue to grow until the cows come home... music rules.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/11/2005 9:31 pm
just thinking about learning every scale in every position makes me tired.
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/11/2005 9:35 pm
And...1500!

ten words is alot of words when youve got nothing to say.
Try once,fail twice...
# 3
Willdridge
Willdridge
11/11/2005 9:43 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsThat's got to be one of the coolest feelings. Growing and developing your own personal way of doing things and being able to feel it as it happens. Who could ask for more? It'll be a sad day indeed if that feeling ever goes away. Of course then I'd probably be compelled to express such a feeling via music to which I would end up doing something new and rediscovering that same feeling which would continue to grow until the cows come home... music rules.

It is, and it doesn't happen nearly as much as I'd like...and yes, music does most certainly rule.

On a side note: I can remember my first guitar revelation was when I came to understand how to read tabs. I'd spent weeks reading the "Beginner's Guide To Guitar Tabs" you find on almost every tab site you go to and just couldn't get my head around it; then, one day, when I was nowhere near my guitar, listening to Metallica as I played solitaire, I had a eureka moment and the penny dropped - THAT was the beginning of a whole new world for me. Thinking about it now, it makes me wonder just how critical that moment was for my playing...would I be where I am now, trying to find my own tone, if I'd of never had that moment?...

Anyone else had a moment they took for granted to begin with, but looking back, it could've been one of the most important to happen to you?
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/11/2005 9:48 pm
Originally Posted by: WilldridgeIt is, and it doesn't happen nearly as much as I'd like...and yes, music does most certainly rule.

On a side note: I can remember my first guitar revelation was when I came to understand how to read tabs. I'd spent weeks reading the "Beginner's Guide To Guitar Tabs" you find on almost every tab site you go to and just couldn't get my head around it; then, one day, when I was nowhere near my guitar, listening to Metallica as I played solitaire, I had a eureka moment and the penny dropped - THAT was the beginning of a whole new world for me. Thinking about it now, it makes me wonder just how critical that moment was for my playing...would I be where I am now, trying to find my own tone, if I'd of never had that moment?...

Anyone else had a moment they took for granted to begin with, but looking back, it could've been one of the most important to happen to you?

Before I leave work today I'm going to make a final post here (to add to my absurd amount of posts today, I'm a good worker aren't I?) and say that I don't quite recall my first revelation, but I do remember my greatest. It was when I discovered that I enjoy playing guitar more than I enjoy playing bass (I began music through bass). If I never got ahold of a guitar at any point, I'd have never learned just how much I love the guitar. And here I am, today, in the same place as you, trying to find my own personal style and enjoying every bit of it. Go team.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
11/12/2005 7:21 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonEven if you're me?

No, Pride is an emotion that Jolly is only allowed to read about in story books
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 6
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
11/14/2005 6:53 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsOk, for the past 2 days at work I've listened to nothing but my own music and have found a great deal of joy out of the way I've put things. A good selection of passages and parts to the music I find myself thinking "I couldn't have made that any better" and am wondering how arrogant that might come across. I don't want to go blowing my horn like it's superior or anything, just that I've been finding an excessive amount of joy from it lately.

Well, let's have it already.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/14/2005 7:08 pm
Originally Posted by: iamthe_eggmanWell, let's have it already.

Well, I guess I more so develop that stance on a selection of passages. I'm a slow writer, so I don't really have very many complete songs. But what I do have (fragments and all) I would describe as you've quoted, so there's not really much I can dish out at the moment. When things are completed, I'll be more than happy to display it. Just give me some time.

Hulk Smash!!

# 8
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
11/15/2005 2:51 pm
I'm pretty critical of my playing and feel like I haven't improved much in the past year or so which is kind of troubling. I blame it on my gear :D.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 9
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/16/2005 3:55 am
Originally Posted by: LeedoggI'm pretty critical of my playing and feel like I haven't improved much in the past year or so which is kind of troubling. I blame it on my gear :D.

I'd say to an extent that's true. Of course you can practice on any guitar and get good regardless. But if your style is heavily involving speed, then nothing's going to bring that out better than a guitar built for speed. But I don't think that qualifies enough for us to blame gear for lack of musical progression... I don't know. I suck.

Hulk Smash!!

# 10
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/16/2005 4:50 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraWell, when I listen back on that song I posted a while ago ("An Ocean Length Away") I think "wow, what a sack of crap", obviously since then my playing has improved a bucket load due to my altered practise scheme (many thanks to silentmusic for that one). I have a file on my pc where I save various little ideas I may get, anything from 10 seconds to 1 minute ideas. I have about 50 or so files in there, eventually I'll go back through them and make some more music.

I don't know, I guess I just want to be the best I possibly can, and at the moment i'm not overly impressed by my playing, infact, I never have been.

Man you sound just like me. Gotta keep playin I guess...
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.