Is this smug?

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/11/2005 5:42 pm
Ok, for the past 2 days at work I've listened to nothing but my own music and have found a great deal of joy out of the way I've put things. A good selection of passages and parts to the music I find myself thinking "I couldn't have made that any better" and am wondering how arrogant that might come across. I don't want to go blowing my horn like it's superior or anything, just that I've been finding an excessive amount of joy from it lately.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
SPL
SPL
11/11/2005 5:54 pm
Nothing wrong with being proud of your work.
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/11/2005 7:22 pm
Even if you're me?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/11/2005 7:32 pm
Thats positive reinforcment.Nothing wrong at all.I love playing and hearing myself knowing I am totally in the zone.
Try once,fail twice...
# 4
Willdridge
Willdridge
11/11/2005 7:34 pm
I've wondered the same thing myself a few times....and I've reached the same conclusion as you a few times too...

No, it's not smug; perhaps we're slightly egotistical, but then that's half the fun, isn't it? :p
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 5
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/11/2005 7:35 pm
Well cheers then, so long as I'm not shifting into Mr. Big Head or anything.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 6
Willdridge
Willdridge
11/11/2005 8:09 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI listen to my playing and often think "ugh..."

You're listening to it all wrong! :p ;)
# 7
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/11/2005 8:11 pm
Same here since I started to play just using my wrist.Man its tough to trem/trill pick and shred without using my forearm at least a little.

Ive been slipping the last couple months in my practicing and it shows.I gotta get back into the grind.
Try once,fail twice...
# 8
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/11/2005 8:17 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraCall me self critical if you will, but I really believe my playing needs to improve alot, aswell as my compositional skills.

How does your current practice/study procedure work? I tend to judge myself harshly as well, I just also tend to be satisfied with the results.

Hulk Smash!!

# 9
zoran the dark
zoran the dark
11/11/2005 8:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsOk, for the past 2 days at work I've listened to nothing but my own music and have found a great deal of joy out of the way I've put things. A good selection of passages and parts to the music I find myself thinking "I couldn't have made that any better" and am wondering how arrogant that might come across. I don't want to go blowing my horn like it's superior or anything, just that I've been finding an excessive amount of joy from it lately.

well, point it this way. What would happen if your not proud ad your work? most logical is that you change your songs or just let them pas and don't play them any more if you are not proud of your work. so, you still like your own songs, big deal. but, stay open for what your audience wants to hear, then it wil not harm anything. even Vai is proud at his work :D
# 10
Willdridge
Willdridge
11/11/2005 8:23 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsHow does your current practice/study procedure work? I tend to judge myself harshly as well, I just also tend to be satisfied with the results.

It's good to be self critical - there's no point in being complacent; but by the same token, you shouldn't be so self critical that "everything I do is awful"; it's all about finding a happy medium.

Hearing something you played badly should make you go, "Man...I need to practice that", not "I suck"...in my egocentric opinion anyway, :D
# 11
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/11/2005 8:40 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraWhat do you mean? My practise routine?

Well, you've expressed that you're typically not satisfied with what you make and if your playing and writing skills need improving then my first thought is that the current methods of practice might not be working well enough. Of course I really don't know what you write, how you play, or how you practice so I don't really want to step on your toes with anything. So I'll use myself as an example. If I weren't satisfied with something I'd made I'd deduce that it routes back to what I've been reading into or how I've been practicing lately and thus I would work to alter it until my music began to satisfy my ears. In one method or another anyway, and therefor I'm sort of applying my own method of things elsewhere. If that makes any more sense.

Hulk Smash!!

# 12
Willdridge
Willdridge
11/11/2005 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI don't know, I guess I just want to be the best I possibley can, and at the moment i'm not overly impressed by my playing, infact, I never have been.

I don't think anyone's ever impressed by themselves - but being impressed and being satisfied are different things. If you've played the best you can, you should be satisfied that that's the best you can do right now...if you're not happy with what you can do, it should be the incentive to go off and make yourself better.

Be critical, it's the only way you'll grow - just don't be too critical.
# 13
Willdridge
Willdridge
11/11/2005 8:57 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI'll try. :p

I'm planning on writing a bunch of songs sometime in the next few years, putting them on a disc, and then giving it away for free to whoever wants it. Would be nice to see what feedback I would get.

Dude - save the money on CD's (all of 30p that they cost) and just distribute it online - it's the future! ;)
# 14
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/11/2005 8:58 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraWell, when I listen back on that song I posted a while ago ("An Ocean Length Away") I think "wow, what a sack of crap", obviously since then my playing has improved a bucket load due to my altered practise scheme (many thanks to silentmusic for that one). I have a file on my pc where I save various little ideas I may get, anything from 10 seconds to 1 minute ideas. I have about 50 or so files in there, eventually I'll go back through them and make some more music.

I don't know, I guess I just want to be the best I possibly can, and at the moment i'm not overly impressed by my playing, infact, I never have been.

Oh, that old routine. I'm not innocent of that type of thing myself. I've got a number of songs and material that could just as well be crafted better. I'd say just so long as you don't frown on yourself completely. My main concern with myself was whether or not I'm enjoying myself too much.

Hulk Smash!!

# 15
Willdridge
Willdridge
11/11/2005 9:04 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI like cd's; they're pretty. :'(

mmm...shiny.......

Can you enjoy yourself too much?...
# 16
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/11/2005 9:16 pm
Originally Posted by: Akirai've pretty much got the intro down to Smoke and Mirrors by Symphony X, not quite up to speed but getting pretty close.

Sweet.I want to learn unleash the fire...man,i'm just too lazy.
Try once,fail twice...
# 17
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/11/2005 9:19 pm
its off the odyssey..that whole album rules
Try once,fail twice...
# 18
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
11/11/2005 9:23 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraNever. :p

Speaking of progressing, i've pretty much got the intro down to Smoke and Mirrors by Symphony X, not quite up to speed but getting pretty close.

Anyone else got a recent guitar achievment they'd like to share?

Uh... my sweeps and taps are cleaner and more elaborate than they've ever been...?

I've mostly been working with theory lately. I can play in any major key and know the notes on the neck well enough to do so. I guess that counts for something.

Hulk Smash!!

# 19
Willdridge
Willdridge
11/11/2005 9:28 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraNever. :p

Speaking of progressing, i've pretty much got the intro down to Smoke and Mirrors by Symphony X, not quite up to speed but getting pretty close.

Anyone else got a recent guitar achievment they'd like to share?

It's been a while, but my last "revelation" was listening back to a solo I played on a friend's song and thinking to myself "man - that tone rocks!"...(again, meet the Egotist, :p)

I've been playing around more with trying to find my own sound rather than techniques recently...I'm still striving and far from impressed, although I am 'satisified' with the results so far... ;)
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.