1st guitar

suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
11/06/2005 5:53 pm
My price limit is about 120 pounds, and i need a guitar and amp.

I quite like the Behringer V-Tone package that's going for 80 pounds including everything from a strap to picks, the guitar (strat look alike, S/S/S configuration) and a kick ass amp (which is worth 50 pounds alone). However reviews were really mixed on it - some said it was a great guitar for beginning but wouldn't last the long haul, some people said it was horrible.

The other guitar is the Yamaha Pacifica 012 - which everyone has said is an amazing guitar (is in a S/S/H configuration). Howver this is a much more expensive guitar.

Is it worth it to get the Yamaha Pacifica 012 and a really dodgy second hand amp (i'll be playing with mostly headphones). Or is the Behringer a safe bet? I'm really not in the know - i like the fact that the behringer is in my price range and allows me to buy a tuner, whereas the yamaha i'll have to use my computer software to tune it.

I don't know, i don't know. I have a really strict price limit. I bet you're all going to say go with the Yamaha, but reassure me anyway.
# 1
asylumskater5
asylumskater5
11/07/2005 12:40 am
I have that exact guitar and the amp is great ive been playing for 6 months and in a month or 2 im gonna get a gibson sg but its a great guitar to start w/
# 2
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
11/07/2005 2:27 am
thanks guys you've been quite a help. And nah my name isn't something taken from a comic :) - was just something i put together :P, but now when people say "where does that name come from" i'll know what to say.

Well either or. What people seem to also say is go in to a shop and a get a feel for a guitar before you buy it like PonyOne said. I suppose try before you buy is essential even if i'm a total beginner (I can play like 6 riffs, yay!).

Thanks for your help again, and i think i'll end up on this forum a lot when i get my guitar, lot of good tips and tricks here.

WAIT ... i've got one more question...

What about the fact that the Yamaha has a humbucker? Isn't a SSH configuration better then an SSS. I mean i'm playing just standard rock and metal kinda music - not very fast though - but i played on my girlfriends lespaul yesterday which had a humbucker and it was quite clear (yes i know its a les paul which is like a million times more money).

What are your thoughts on the value of a Humbucker?
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/07/2005 5:30 am
first of all... you are a lucky duck to be dating a chick that plays guitar... lol.

and, if you can, get the Ibanez IJS40 Jumpstart Pack... I don't know how much it'll cost, but I have the guitar (not the amp or the other stuff) from that package... and I like it, I got mine for $140 as a blem guitar from a shop that overprices everything (which I didn't know at the time) but it is a VERY good guitar for the price!

but if you can't get that, I would say go for the behringer, except that a humbucker would be better for rock/metal.

if you go into a shop, and get a guitar and amp seperately (and let them know it's your first!) they will probably throw in a some picks, and possibly a cheap cable! and if you can do that with enough left over for a tuner, then that's probably a better bet... those are pretty much the only things you'll need at first... a strap can wait a while, you won't need a gig bag unless you are going to need to bring it to guitar lessons... and I do highly recommend you get a stand.

if that sounds like too much for you, then just go with behringer and upgrade to a better guitar in 6 months or so if you still want to stick with it.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 4
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
11/07/2005 5:46 am
thanks, that's given me another guitar to look at. It's definately my max price at 150 pounds - but it includes an amp and all so i suppose that's good.

People don't seem to like the yamaha on this forum, but i've read reviews that say how amazing it is and stuff. Does anybody want to share good/bad experiences with Yamaha guitars, or is it that nobody owns one?
# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/07/2005 5:52 am
Originally Posted by: suicidalmoosethanks, that's given me another guitar to look at. It's definately my max price at 150 pounds - but it includes an amp and all so i suppose that's good.

People don't seem to like the yamaha on this forum, but i've read reviews that say how amazing it is and stuff. Does anybody want to share good/bad experiences with Yamaha guitars, or is it that nobody owns one?

you really want to get lordathastrings going on his yamaha SGB1000s? lol. he loves those guitar! but those are high-end yamaha's, so, I don't know about their starter guitars.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.