Tunning down leads to less quality solos or none at all?

hann1bal
hann1bal
10/15/2005 9:43 am
Do you think that the tunning down of guitars for heavier music is what has lead to the drought in solos in this type of music? I personally think that everyone's just looking for the heavier riff on the top string, but they don't know the scales for the tunnings that they use. Agree/Dissagree??
Also who would you respect more...guitar players that use standard E and get their heaviness from distortion and efx (and obviously good crunchy riffs) or if it's todays metal, does it have to be tuned down??
# 1
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/15/2005 10:13 am
I think the lack of solo's in a majority of today's music is more a reaction to guitar w*$king that seemed to have come so popular for many people.
Also, the speed and nature of today's music meant the solo either wasn't necessary, or just plain inappropriate.

I don't think it's a case of which deserves more of my respect; I love solos, but I love riffs. The other thing to bare in mind is that an awful lot of non-guitarists don't really understand what a solo's about...but they will remember a catchy riff (Smoke On The Water, Come As You Are, Purple Haze). Perhaps that's why the likes of Korn and Slipknot appeal to a lot of people who don't play guitar, (and I've known quite a few over the years)

In short, I think it's important for a guitarist to experiment and be able to play various styles and tunings, but they shouldn't be thought less of because they prefer to play in one particularly tuning.

Thoughts anyone?
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 2
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
10/15/2005 10:26 am
The tuning of the guitar doesn't have anything to do with soloing. If you tune down, you're just playing in another key. I mean, the same patterns apply as long as you tuned down evenly. Some bands tune down simply because their singer's range is more geared towards a lower key. And btw, if you think theres a shortage of soloing in today's metal and heavy music, you obviously aren't looking hard enough.
# 3
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/15/2005 12:40 pm
Originally Posted by: CW14I'm yet to hear Korn come up with a catchy riff.

Hehehe...good point, well made...

To add to CoB, don't forget System Of A Down - most of their songs are tuned to Dropped C, they still solo...And Nickleback for that matter (never thought I'd be comparing System to Nickleback!)

I think you're right that they've gone out of fashion, but there's still plenty of bands coming out with some amazing solo's - and not necessarily being played in 16th's at 220bpm....
# 4
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/16/2005 2:18 am
Personally, I blame Curt "KABANG" of Nirvana for the decrease of proficiency in today's music. You have to realize that a lot of the guys making music today grew up on Nirvana rather than Van Halen or Zeppelin. I'll admit that his popularity was a backlash against oversaturation of a lot of unimaginative "wankers". However, teaching guitar in the 90's was a hell of a lot easier than teaching in the 80's! The kids were just interested in learning chords and how to sound grungy rather than learning scales or technique, and during that time frame, you were actually jeered at and made fun of you you knew how to solo and liked to.

Personally, I think there are very few players that can hold your attention with long solos, but we certainly are due for another Satch, Van Halen, Page, Beck, Or Eric Johnson to come out and ignite some passion in the kids.

My two cents! lol
# 5
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
10/16/2005 3:11 am
I kinda think it's becoming cool again to actually know how to play your guitar. I just hope this trend towards musical complexity continues in more mainstream music.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 6
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/16/2005 3:56 am
Originally Posted by: griefwearsgray**** YOU

people listen to way more than nirvana. it goes back to the beatles, hendrix, the doors, u2, and if you have a broader range, albert king, and muddy waters, buddy guy, and such like that.

KIDS TODAY LISTEN TO MORE THAN NIRVANA!

****ING IGNORANT PEOPLE!

zeppelin was GREAT. sabath was GREAT. dp was GREAT.

van halen was not.

the "lack of solos" has decreased as the amount of good music has decreased.

it is coming back.

So tell me how you really feel...lol

Get over it....it wasn't just Nirvana, it was also MudHoney, Korn, Limpbizkit, nu-meatal in general, etc, etc.

Van Halen changed the way rock guitar was played, and the way it sounded...so now what?

And Freddie King, Albert Collins, Johny Copeland, Clarence "GateMouth" Brown, etc were excellent blues players, and I am a huge fan of these guys and many more. What about Joe Pass? D'Jango? Charlie Christian?
OR, Scotty Moore, James Burton, Eddi Cochran, etc...? Albert Lee, Ricky Scaggs, Steve Wariner?

These are not the players typical youth are listening to. So can you offer a better opinion as to why todays players hardly ever solo, other than the poor qaulity of todays, music? What would have lead to the poor quality of todays music? Could it be that a generation of players grew up on Curt Kabang?
# 7
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
10/16/2005 4:18 am
I know y'all are both new around here, but I'd watch the tone of your posts. This is a very well moderated forum here and flaming and name-calling isn't tolerated. There's a sticky y'all should check out that explains the forum rules.
My YouTube Profile
# 8
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/16/2005 5:14 am
ok, I guess the dp crack was a little rude, but I was responding to insults in the first place...in the future I won't...I should have realized that there are or could be children in here, so I apologize....

But I meant every word! hehehe
# 9
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/16/2005 5:31 am
[QUOTE=Leedogg]I kinda think it's becoming cool again to actually know how to play your guitar. I just hope this trend towards musical complexity continues in more mainstream music.[/QUOTE

We could hope for that....I've been waiting for over a decade now, and I have heard a few signs of life...let us hope that it gets nurtured.
# 10
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/16/2005 11:53 am
Originally Posted by: LeedoggI kinda think it's becoming cool again to actually know how to play your guitar. I just hope this trend towards musical complexity continues in more mainstream music.

Wouldn't you agree that you can play guitar without having to solo? And I mean play guitar well...Look at all the rhythm players throughout the years!

I used to subscribe to the mentally that faster was better...than I started playing to people who weren't guitarists and they couldn't care less if you can play "Flight Of The Bumblebee" at 220bpm...(I can't, but you understand my point). The whole speed thing, I've found at least, is very much for other guitarists; and to a certain extend so are solos.

Yngwie's one of the best guitarists around...but his solos don't inspire me to write music, they only kick me up the ass to try and play better...Cobain, by no means a great guitarist, has inspired me to write songs and to play for the music - and before anyone starts, I'm old enough to remember 'Nevermind' being released, having already had 'Bleach' in my possesion.

My basic point is this, (I think!)...being able to play a rip-roaring solo is something we should all strive for, but it doesn't mean every song needs a one...you can do as much with two notes as with three hundred...and for that matter, you can often do more with a riff or pause...

Well, that's my fuel to the fire...interested to see what you guys think...
# 11
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/16/2005 12:43 pm
Check out the latest cd by Symphony X, they down tuned and sound much heavier now but Michale Romeo still plays amazing solos and super technical riffs.
# 12
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
10/16/2005 4:59 pm
Originally Posted by: WilldridgeWouldn't you agree that you can play guitar without having to solo? And I mean play guitar well...Look at all the rhythm players throughout the years!

I used to subscribe to the mentally that faster was better...than I started playing to people who weren't guitarists and they couldn't care less if you can play "Flight Of The Bumblebee" at 220bpm...(I can't, but you understand my point). The whole speed thing, I've found at least, is very much for other guitarists; and to a certain extend so are solos.

Yngwie's one of the best guitarists around...but his solos don't inspire me to write music, they only kick me up the ass to try and play better...Cobain, by no means a great guitarist, has inspired me to write songs and to play for the music - and before anyone starts, I'm old enough to remember 'Nevermind' being released, having already had 'Bleach' in my possesion.

My basic point is this, (I think!)...being able to play a rip-roaring solo is something we should all strive for, but it doesn't mean every song needs a one...you can do as much with two notes as with three hundred...and for that matter, you can often do more with a riff or pause...

Well, that's my fuel to the fire...interested to see what you guys think...

I said a trend towards complexity, not speed. How many 3 chord songs can society take before it leaves a bad taste in the mouth? Those songs are like cake. It's fun to eat every now and again, but you'll make yourself sick if it's all you ever eat.
My YouTube Profile
# 13
rockonn91
rockonn91
10/16/2005 5:03 pm
Originally Posted by: LeedoggI said a trend towards complexity, not speed. How many 3 chord songs can society take before it leaves a bad taste in the mouth? Those songs are like cake. It's fun to eat every now and again, but you'll make yourself sick if it's all you ever eat.

very nice analogy, Leedogg.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 14
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/16/2005 5:30 pm
Originally Posted by: LeedoggI said a trend towards complexity, not speed. How many 3 chord songs can society take before it leaves a bad taste in the mouth? Those songs are like cake. It's fun to eat every now and again, but you'll make yourself sick if it's all you ever eat.

Sorry Leedogg - almost all of that post wasn't directed at you...I agree wholehearted with that and I think it apply's both ways; too many songs with complexity (Yngwie, Satch, Vai) can get stale after awhile, hence grunge and nu-metal's surge during the ninties (the anthiesis of eighties' hair and thrash metal). Equally, I don't think we need another Nirvana - it's been done; let's just tip our hat's and create something new.

To try and expand on your point: "Too much of a good thing will kill you" Moderation is the key.
# 15
hann1bal
hann1bal
10/16/2005 11:31 pm
ok..so bottom line most of you don't think that guitar tunning has led to a lack of solos in the recent mainstream. I do 100% agree that their back on the rise..which is great!! I look at them as the "icing on the cake" that puts an exclamation to the mood of the song...so therefore, to me personally, they can never become stale...but ur also right, definately not needed on every song in the world.

I do however believe that anyone claiming to be the lead guitar player of a band, sometimes the only guitar in the band, should have the ability to bust out a few solos..or at least attempt a few.
I also believe for sure that the recent slump was definately due to innability to play, maybe not because of tunning, but DEFINATELY NOT because of some trend where nobody wants to hear them anymore.
Annnnnd that's the botttom line because Hannibal sed sooooooooo.....lol
# 16
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/17/2005 12:38 am
Originally Posted by: griefwearsgrayquestion: why do you say curt kabang?

Because he shot himself I assume.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 17
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
10/17/2005 2:06 am
Originally Posted by: griefwearsgrayyou kids and your rules. most people think of guitar playing as a symbol of anarchy and yet this site has so many rules and you abide by them. how does make any sense.

If we didn't have the rules, these boards would descend into a flame-warring crap hole like so many other well-intentioned forums.
My YouTube Profile
# 18
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/17/2005 5:52 am
Wow Greif- you trip me out...first you curse me then say no big deal...well ok, no offense taken...anymore..lol

And yes, I call him Curt Kabang cause he shot himself...maybe a bit rude and insensitive on my part, but I'm not trying to claim Eddie Van Halen copped from Hendrix and ACE FREHLEY?!? Are you kidding me? No really, are you? I've read interviews were Ed has said that when he used the wiggle stick that he wanted the notes to sound like they were falling off the edge of a building like Hendrix did, but ACE FREHLEY?!? C'mon man...Frehley is widely thought of to be a Page clone, and the only flash he ever had was his persona and stage show...and I like Ace!

And P.S. Eddie is far more than just a soloist, he is an incredible and very underated rythym guitarist...if he didn't have good songs that were interesting it wouldn't matter how fast he could play. VH was a success in the mainstream because he had good songs. Al DiMeola is faster, but the masses of non musicians don't relate to his style because the songs aren't danceable...Satriani goes over with a lot of non-musicians because of his great rythym ability and incredible sense of lyrical melody, not just speed.

I'm from the school that thinks playing music should be like making love - you don't go fast the whole time, but there are certainly ocassions were speed IS called for ;) heh heh heh

my .02
# 19
hann1bal
hann1bal
10/17/2005 6:10 am
Yea, but with a name like Ace Frehley, ur either gonna be a guitar player or a nascar driver...and u better be good too. Later when I get good, I'm gonna change my name to "FIRING" Fret Hammermen III or Puffmaster Williamson and his blunt shaped guitar or something catchy like that. Then the whole world will want to see me :cool:
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.