new guy wading in

freckledick
freckledick
10/15/2005 6:27 am
i'm interested in writing songs, have lots of pages of verse without chorus and vice versa. how do you guys or anyone i guess come to write.
words used to come easy when i was younger and writing, now i usually make up a riff and throw something over the top of it. what i'm trying to ask is what inspires you to write a song? i want to see what other people are writing about.
# 1
hann1bal
hann1bal
10/15/2005 8:27 am
The question is what inspires YOU. For me everything..beliefs, emotions, the people that sourround me, movies, things going on in the world, MOTIVATION. I think most importantly is the ENERGY you get off those things...what happened today that you really feel strongly about (something you probably disagree with)?? Write a few brief thoughts about it and then try to make it rhyme based on a riff that you think applies or is in the same mood or tone.
Also what you trully believe in, not some crap you think the concencious will want to hear. I think what ALL music is missing today, wether it be rock, metal, rap, pop, whatever, is a difference in opinion. Turn on MTV or your car stereo...everyone sings about politics and they all have THE SAME OPINION ABOUT EVERYTHING!! ie how many times in the past month have you heard "bring ur own bombs???" If someone wrote a pro war song, do you think they would play it?
Final Tip: Verrrrry important, if you do not have an adictave personality..don't be affraid to chemically enhance your emotions and you will write lyrics for hours!!! Or get me wasted and I'll write you all the lyrics you want lol!!!
# 2
freckledick
freckledick
10/15/2005 11:02 am
Also what you trully believe in, not some crap you think the concencious will want to hear

i like that statement.
my music tends to be about how people consume resources.
how much waste we create. like we think we live in a vacuum.
the irony of living comfortably at the expense of the earth, like it will sustain us forever.
i'm trying to think of the broader picture rather than the symptoms.
have you any example of original lyrics? have you written something you are absolutely pleased with?
i wrote this 5 years ago.

the sun won't burn forever
that won't affect my life
its the things that we change
that get us into strife

products of advancement
will surely end out lives
little we can do
no hope for me and you
eternity is just a spaceship away

(chorus)
trying to tell you now,
we're just hanging around,
waiting until some bigger **** goes down

two more verses, you get the gist.
# 3
hann1bal
hann1bal
10/16/2005 6:52 am
yea, what the hell. this is the opening of something I'm messing around with tentitavely called "the other night when I was tripping." Just a few verses...but I want it to start out ballad like, then get really f'n heavy....

Looking at this world
I wonder if there is salvation
From the murchy depths
that reside...inside me
Used to think of life
and all its many callings
traveling through any valley
I would search to find you
With the backdrop of night
there are cries in the forests
hidden soldiers know
that mass confliction lies ahead

And no one seems to care

Trully in our hearts
we see a world that is dying,
from a plague of immorality.
In the thin mountain air
as I climb to find redemption
easy is temptation
to rest near the tranquil stream
As the trees fall in flames
to make way for steel possesions
To forge our own creation
And darkness shows reflection
yet we are blind without light

solo (transition to heavy)
Bloodstained are the means
that supply a land its armor!
Bloodstained are the means
that supply a land its armor!

...if we're going to go revealing lyrics though, we should have some sort of copyright disclaimer, aye?? lol.
# 4
freckledick
freckledick
10/16/2005 7:56 am
yeah i like it. the essence is much the same.

i can't help sounding a bit like cat stevens everytime i try to write though,
thats why i like distortion.

i'm trying to finish a couple of songs at the moment. put closure on a few i been sitting on. then, all i need is a band.

i'm trying to put a solid foundation under these words, at the moment all i got is d g c. ha. trying to spice it up with some fancy strumming. i think it is going to have to remain an accoustic song though.

it takes more than a glance
to look into someones soul
and discover all the feelings
they have ever known

it takes an open mind
to accept more than you know
and if you realise this
you'll still be in control

needs more verse and probably a chorus and maybe a bridge,
but its a start.

if someone wants to plaguerise my words. feel free, at least it won't be on my conscience.
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/16/2005 10:01 am
Originally Posted by: hann1bal...if we're going to go revealing lyrics though, we should have some sort of copyright disclaimer, aye?? lol.

I've got 26 songs on this forum, but no one will take the lyrics without the melody because without melody the lyrics are nothing.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 6
hann1bal
hann1bal
10/16/2005 10:18 am
Cool. Gotta admit that putting em together is what makes it fun.
Our regular songs are more about vigil antis, drugz, nuclear war, anti corporate ideoligy...the 101 basics of a thrash metal assualt, lol. My lead player is reallllly good. I just want to attack the clubs for a while and play in front of friends. If we go that far, i can be happy with everything else in life, lol.
What happened to the guy that started this thread...maybe he's finally writing!!
# 7
freckledick
freckledick
10/17/2005 6:28 am
very true. the melody is definately the key to making the words work.

i'm trying to make mine sound sorta like 'the angels' sound but with more of a new age distortion ring to it. plus i gotta chick singer. yeah i definately wanna get on the scene, even if it means doing acdc covers at birthday parties
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.