Changing single coil to a humbucker

musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/08/2005 1:08 am
Hey,
I kinda have my eye set on a Squire guitar...cant afford a proper fender strat (and dont belive too much in just the nametag anyway) but i really like the s/s/h or h/s/s setup...unfortunatly this one has a s/s/s setup....but the guy at the guitar shop tells me if i buy the guitar and I pay a bit extra later on he can add a humbucker there for me....and he wont have to do any cutting or anything as he has "thin humbuckers" :confused: that will go in easy.

It just sounds a bit fishy to me...what do you think? I dont know much about guitar hardware so i though i would throw this into your laps....
comments welcome!

Cheers!
- They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken.

- Ah, yes, divorce.., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. -- Robin Williams
# 1
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
10/08/2005 4:18 am
Hmmmmm, never had any experience with the slim single humbuckers but I have seen them. I don't think they would sound as good as a true double humbucker. I could be wrong, I thought I was once, but really I wasn't :D
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 2
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
10/08/2005 6:35 am
i have jb jr's in my strat and they're beautiful pickups. don't let anyone scare you away from getting them...they have good tone too.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/08/2005 4:44 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]A lot of new Fenders have the body routed for humbuckers, so you would only have to replace the pickguard in order to install a full-size humbucker pickup in any position.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
markc2005
markc2005
10/08/2005 5:01 pm
when i bought my guitar the man at the shop replaced the bridge single coil with a full size humbucker at no extra cost
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 5
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/09/2005 2:56 am
why not just get that samurai???
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 6
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/09/2005 3:36 am
Hey!
Got the Samuraii...will give you more details tomorrow!

Cheers!

- Ah, yes, divorce.., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. -- Robin Williams
# 7
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
10/09/2005 5:30 am
Originally Posted by: musicgu7Hey!
Got the Samuraii...will give you more details tomorrow!

Cheers!

so you just got a guitar, and you already have your eye set on another one? wow, that's some serious GAS (gear acquisition syndrome, in case you didn't know)
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 8
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
10/09/2005 3:00 pm
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrsso you just got a guitar, and you already have your eye set on another one? wow, that's some serious GAS (gear acquisition syndrome, in case you didn't know)

Hehe, and here I thought my grandpa has a serious gas problem :D

Actually, I bought it and told the person I would check it out at a pals place and if he found any problems i would give it back, i told her i would call in around an hour.

Once i got it home heres what i found:
(note: I dont have a amp so couldnt plug it in so couldnt check out the pups)

1. Its a heavy guitar, no idea what wood but it sounds pretty decent unplugged, I'm pretty much a newbie compared with you guys but i have been trying out most of the expensive guitars at the shops(Fender, Squire,Gibson,Epiphone to name a few)

2.The pickup selecter was a bit screwed, it was jumping in its holding, I guess the screws came undone inside and it did not change smoothly.

3.They told me they changed one of the pickups when they bought it, a few years ago.

4. The action was really bad on this one and i didnt find any real way to adjust it

5.The fretboard's frets (the brass/gold pieces that seperate one fret from another, forgot what they are called) were pretty lumpy, felt more like you were playing a cheap acustic

6. The tone and volume knops- some turned easy some were really badly "glue jammed" especially when you go to the total right or left

I think i'll spend a bit more and get myself something that i like and feels more like an electric...the reason I have improved in my playing is i just like the look of my acoustic, as i see it standing in the corner i have to pick it up and practice...even if its just for a few mins, this guitar didnt do it for me.

Cheers!

# 9
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/17/2005 11:01 pm
Originally Posted by: bigbudaHmmmmm, never had any experience with the slim single humbuckers but I have seen them. I don't think they would sound as good as a true double humbucker. I could be wrong, I thought I was once, but really I wasn't :D

Make that twice! :p

Actually, the duncan hot rails is hotter than a lot of full sized buckers, and is a great p/u for rockin' out. DiMarzio, Bill Lawrence, and Joe Barden all make excelent single coil sized humbuckers that sound great. And oh yeah, these are "TRUE DOUBLE HUMBUCKERS"...two coils reverse wound from each other and quite as could be.

This is one case where size really doesn't matter. :D
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.