Looking for a good guitar

ZChixSoccer
ZChixSoccer
10/02/2005 6:45 pm
[FONT=Arial Black]Im just starting to play guitar. Does anyone know of a good brand of guitar and where i can get one? Do you have a guitar for sale? Or anything other info on guitars you have!! Thanks[/FONT]
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/02/2005 8:54 pm
There's plenty of info on guitars to be had here. What price range are you looking at?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
Roadrashdemon
Roadrashdemon
10/03/2005 1:48 am
Alright... I'm not exactly an expert but I've got alot of experience with this. If you're just starting off, I really wouldn't recomend anything too expensive. I say if you can stick to something cheap at first, then you know you're a real guitar player. Anyways, the best beginner brand in my oppinion is Epiphone. This is a company that replicates the Gibson guitars. I respect Epiphone because unlike Squire or other cheaper brands, the company is puts forth pretty good quality. Also, I would recomend anything by Ibanez. You can get an ok Ibanez for any from $200 - 300. Personally, it think it's a great all around guitar. As for my personal favorite, I'd also recomend Jackson. This is THE metal guitar and in my oppinion you get the most bang for your buck. A decent Jackson can run anywhere from $250 - 600.

I'd also recomend that you stay away from B.C. Rich. I have nothing against that company, but I feel that they put more work on making the guitar look cool, and less emphasis on how it actually sounds and plays.

So those are just a few of my suggestions. ^_^
# 3
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
10/03/2005 9:56 pm
Well personally, i use a Fender Strat wich i got for like 300 bucks. But if your looking for something cheaper, i mean my strat is in great condition and its used, i thought it was new, but for a begginer, cuz im such a Fender lover, Squier is a good begginer brand becuz they come with Fender quality, and are pretty cheap
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 4
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
10/04/2005 3:00 am
used parker p-series guitars are high quality and you can normally snag one from around $300-$500 (they're discontinued so you have to search ebay). the prs SE series guitars are also high quality guitars for around the $500 price range.

ignore anyone who says gibson makes a quality guitar. they're more than likely too inexperienced to understand what a good guitar is or haven't played on any recent gibsons. gibson is hit or miss; epiphone is shoddy wiring and cheap tuners/hardware; fender is hit or miss but you don't pay an arm and a leg like with gibson; ibanez is annoyingly mediocre to the point of making you want to buy one then hate it after a few months; carvin are quality guitars but really, who the hell buys a carvin? it's like riding a moped; jackson is normally nice metalhead guitars; ltd is surprisingly quality, you can score a quality les paul copy for around $600 and it be better than a lot of gibson's les pauls.

that's just my personal opinion on everything....play the stuff yourself. heed my warnings....but play it for yourself, you might end up loving something i'd think is a crap guitar but it gets the tone and feel you're looking for....i just wrote up a more generalized guideline of some guitar brands.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/04/2005 4:00 am
Originally Posted by: FenderallthewaySquier is a good begginer brand becuz they come with Fender quality, and are pretty cheap

Ugh...

Some Squires are amazingly nice guitars for the money. Others are amazingly horrid. While it's been improving lately, "Fender Quality" has been an absolute myth since the late 90's.

The bottom line is that every company has quality control issues -- some worse than others -- but everybody has them.

So see what's out there, see what you like -- what sounds good and feels comfortable to you and forget brands and forget about if it's new or not.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
10/04/2005 4:40 am
If you are looking for a good acoustic I would recomend something by Yamaha or Alvarez. You can get a nice acoustic for 200 or so by either of the two companies. Electric wize I like playing Jackson *warning Jackson guitars are not for everyone and should be handled with extreme attitude* and Fender strats are cool. I picked up a Fender Mex Strat for 250 new at a local shop. It plays very nice. If you buy an electric you will need an amp, so set aside a couple hundred for that too, if you want a nice amp go with the new VOX AD30VT. It's about 240 bucks but it's an amp that you won't grow out of. Bottom line, go to your local shops, play the guitars you like, see what feels good to you and sounds good to you. It must feel comfortable in your hands or you won't want to play it.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 7
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
10/04/2005 4:15 pm
[QUOTE=Raskolnikov]Ugh...

Some Squires are amazingly nice guitars for the money. Others are amazingly horrid. While it's been improving lately, "Fender Quality" has been an absolute myth since the late 90's.

ur right, i dont own a squier, but i have frends who do and they say its great, i mean, ok its not a fender, but the quality, for a begginer in my oppinion is pretty good, i woodve loved to have a squier when i started, i started playing on a cort from the 80's, wich was pretty stupid
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.