What's the difference between these?

Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
09/22/2005 7:01 pm
I haven't played guitar since my early twenties (well over twenty years ago) but am now looking to get seriously back into it. Back then all I could afford was a really nasty cheap plastic wah-wah pedal and a 'fuzz' pedal of the same quality. I'm amazed at the variety of pedals available now. Some have fairly obvious uses but what is a constrictor/compressor? Also I've heard various great things about:
1. Ibanez tubescreamer
2. Electro-Harmonix English Muffin
3. Marshall Bluesbreaker

From what I can see these are all distortion pedals achieving the same goal by different methods. Is that correct or are these pedals distinctly different from each other?

Thanks
# 1
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
09/22/2005 7:31 pm
I can't tell you the distinct difference between the pedal's listed, but in my experience, each and every pedal has it's own unique sound. You'll just have to test some out at a local music store to see which one would work best for you.

A compressor "compresses" the sound to make the volume even....In other words, it raises the volume of quiet notes and lowers the volume of louder notes. Compressor's can be your best friend or your worst enemy.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
09/24/2005 3:03 pm
DO NOT BUY THE LINE 6 CONSTRICTOR!!!! It is by far the worst compressor pedal out there. Compressors are indeed hard to use, I can never seem to find just that right setting on mine, volume wise. Sound wise I get the nice percussive clicky sound on leads. You hear compressors alot in country music.

The Ibanez Tubescreamer, depending on which model, is definetly more of a add-on to a nice tube amp. I would never use the tubescreamer alone ( I have one ). I always use it to boost up my overdriven tube amp and the results are great. Others you may want to look into are the BOSS Blues Driver and Super Overdrive.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
09/27/2005 3:05 am
Boss is well liked on this forum, especially the blues driver.

I don't like digitech or line 6, but you may feel otherwise. None of us here can guess what you'll like best, the only way you'll find that out is by playing as many differeny pedals as you can until you find one you like.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 4
Re2point0
Re2point0
09/27/2005 1:17 pm
Get a good rackmount compressor if your seriously looking for one. All these stomp box Compressors and crap are just ****. But anyway yeah, u dont need a compressor any time soon anyways.
# 5
HDJ
HDJ
09/27/2005 4:49 pm
I personally don't like compressor's in a live sound. It's good to apply some to vocals live, but not guitar in my opinion.

Compression on guitar is more widely used in the recording world...
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 6
Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
09/27/2005 5:12 pm
Thanks for the responses guys. Have had a chance to listen to a few Line 6 pedals and have to agree with some of you that I'm not that impressed - how do Vox/Korg compare? Not had a chance to try them yet but I used to use a Vox AC30 and have huge respect for the company. Anyone tried their Tonelab board or their Valvetronix amps? Lastly, anyone have any experience of Marshall stomp boxes? I work in design and the retro metal casing are a thing of utter beauty to me! Stupid reason to buy a pedal but if they even sound half as good as they look I'll buy them to wear as earrings.

By the way should have mentioned before my influence/style are based on British blues - Clapton, Page, Kossoff with a bit of influence stateside from BB King/SRV and a smattering of Santana. That might give you guys a clue to what boxes would work best.
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/27/2005 5:17 pm
Originally Posted by: Kaffirlime... the retro metal casing are a thing of utter beauty to me! Stupid reason to buy a pedal but if they even sound half as good as they look I'll buy them to wear as earrings. [/QUOTE]LMAO! :D

[QUOTE=Kaffirlime]By the way should have mentioned before my influence/style are based on British blues - Clapton, Page, Kossoff with a bit of influence stateside from BB King/SRV and a smattering of Santana. ...
[font=trebuchet ms]What, no Peter Green??

Or is that what you meant by "a smattering of Santana"?[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
09/27/2005 5:29 pm
What, no Peter Green??

Or is that what you meant by "a smattering of Santana"?

You got it! :D
# 9
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
09/28/2005 1:16 am
Well as for gear I don't know what your using now. But, instead of pedals you may want to look into a nice Les Paul/Marshall or Some other solid body with a nice combo amp. And maybe have a couple pedals to use as accents, such as EQ, overdrive/boost ( such as MXR Boost pedal>forget the actual name, or a tubescreamer) and a wah ( i recommend VOX or 535Q ).
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 10
Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
09/28/2005 10:50 am
Originally Posted by: Tele MasterWell as for gear I don't know what your using now.

That's the thing I'm not - I've decided to pick it up again after twenty year 'rest' which is why I'm asking so many questions (on this and other forums). I've got the money burning a hole in my pocket but just want to make sure I get the right gear (I might have the money but I can't afford expensive mistakes). I used to play a strat through an original 1970's Vox AC30. I loved the amp but could never quite get the tone I wanted out of the guitar (didn't use ANY pedals back then apart from cruddy cheap wah-wah and fuzz box that should have been consigned to the bin). I know the answer is to go down to a music shop and try gear out but my workload will currently see me weithout a free weekend until February thus i'm resolved to buying stuff off the internet and finding time in the wee hours of the morning for practising!!

I've pretty much decided to buy an Epiphone Sheraton having played a friends Gibson 335 years ago and loving it (but which I can't afford). My real quandary is what amp to buy - I'm torn between getting a Vox AD60VT/ Line 6 Flextone III or an old Marshall/Hiwatt/Sound City valve amp and pedals. I have no experience of digital amps whatsoever but the idea of having so many amp models is very appealing. Obviously I won't be gigging for a while so power isn't critical but tone is.
# 11
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/28/2005 4:13 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraThat's the only experience ive had with Marshall pedals. You may want to check out the Boss range.

Mmm...boss...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 12
Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
09/28/2005 8:23 pm
Thanks for your further comments. interested by Akira's comment that the Marshall Jackhammer is rubbish. Another question if I may - with regards Marshall pedals what's the difference between the Jackhammer and the Guv'nor? They both seem to be distortion pedals?

It seems that there is no easy answer to my questions. Re Stomp boxes Line 6, Korg, Digitech, Boss - whoever - all seem to have fans and detractors in equal measure. One mans meat does seem to be very much another mans poison.

Four questions which hopefully are easy to answer:

Is there one company out there who produces pedals that are pretty much universally accepted by everyone as being the best in class - The Rolls Royce or Cadillac of pedals if you like?

How good are digital amps? - Bear in mind, I'm not into recording or gigging - I'm learning my craft again and mainly out to have fun. Is the Vox AD60VT a good amp or should I avoid it like the plague and buy an old valve amp?

If I bought a digital amp is there any point in buying individual pedals? Do they really only come into their own when plugged in line with a valve amp?

If I ditch the digital amp route and buy an old valve amp, what would be a good pedal collection for a blues influenced guitarist (BB King/Clapton/Kossof/Peter Green/Santana/SRV). Let's not get into manufacturers specifically (although I'd obviously welcome opinions) - just what pedals you think should be on board.

A lot of questions I know and I appreciate you guys indulging me. Basically I just want to order the whole lot in one go so I'm looking for help in putting the shopping list together.
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/28/2005 8:45 pm
Originally Posted by: Kaffirlime.... Basically I just want to order the whole lot in one go so I'm looking for help in putting the shopping list together.
[font=trebuchet ms]Don't do it!! :eek:

You will guaranteed waste money on stuff you will use a few times and then chuck into a corner and forget you ever had. I don't have time right now to go into detail, but I will expand on this later.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
09/28/2005 9:35 pm
Not buying immediately - Will wait and look forward to your response :D
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/29/2005 1:56 am
[font=trebuchet ms]Nosh?
check.

Pint in hand?
check.

Right, then.... (typing one-handed)

If you're looking to get back into it, the last thing you want to do is clutter things up with a bloody great pile of new toys. You spend too much time messing about with different setings, and in the end you get nothing done. Keep It Simple, Stupid!

If you have a decent axe, and something inspiring to plug it into, you're well on your way. Put most your budget into a guitar you can see being an important part of your life for the next dozen years or so. Then, I suggest checking out a Vox Pathfinder to start with.

Then spend your time (not your money) on developing an intimate and thorough understanding of what can be done with that one guitar, and that one amp. When you can honestly say that you've explored the limits of both, you won't need to ask us what to add, because you'll know what you need, or at the very least, what it should sound like.
[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 16
Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
09/29/2005 7:11 am
Wise counsel indeed and I'm more inclined to sit up and pay attention as you recommended a Vox :D

I would like to know peoples thoughts on solid state amps though (the pathfinder is a solid state amp, right?). When I was gigging in the mid/late seventies they had just started to appear. Our bass player had one of the first HH amps (the one with the illuminated front panel) and absolutely loved its bright tone although the rest of us hated it. The only other people using them were the emerging punk bands and tone didn't matter to them because they couldn't play their instruments anyway. Common sense tells me they have to have got a whole lot better since those days (transistor amps, not punk bands) but can they really compare to a true valve amp?
# 17
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/29/2005 3:14 pm
[font=trebuchet sm]I have three Magnavox-era Ampeg amps. A 1976 VT-22, 120 Watt tube 2x12" combo, a 1977 VT-40 60 Watt tube 1x15" combo, and a G-18 10 Watt transistor combo made in the late 70's. The G-18 gets more playing time than the other two combined. The other amps are just too loud and too heavy for a lot of situations. And the lil' guy sounds pretty good.

The new transistor amps have a lot of added gizmos like built-in effects, which makes them convenient, but they don't yet have the same tonal qualities of a good tube amp. Still, they have a sizeable chunk of the market, and a lot of people don't have the ears to notice the difference. ~sigh~

You're looking for something to get yourself started again. I think the Vox Pathfinder would be a very good chooice for that. I would have suggested an old Ampeg G-18 like mine, but you have a fondness for Vox that will help to fuel your enthusiasm, and you won't need to waste time searching for an old piece of kit that was discontinued 25 years ago.

Plug in. Play. Be happy.[/font] :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.