fret buzz

scarface84
scarface84
09/18/2005 3:18 am
some of the frets (not many of them) sound like **** because of the fret buzz. I can fix it by adjusting the action, but then it's alot more difficult to play. Isn't there any other way to fix this, oh and could it because of the strings? i haven't changed the strings for atleast 2-3 months. :o
# 1
scarface84
scarface84
09/19/2005 4:08 pm
bumpeti bump :(
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
09/22/2005 2:48 pm
If you can visually see the fret marks on the strings (little bends in the strings) then that might be a sign of where the problem is. It would be a good idea to change the strings regardless. Fret buzz is hard to diagnose whe you cant actually see, touch, and play the guitar... so if you have specifics on where the fret buzz is and in what conditions it buzzes that would help out a lot.
# 3
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/17/2005 11:52 pm
Wow, it could be a number of things...

Such as, a not enough releif in your neck which can be fixed by adjusting the truss rod, or the frets may not be level and you would have to get them "dressed", and or a partial re-fret

Neither of these fixes are for a beginner to perform. You need to be taught by someone that allready knows. It is likely, that unless you become a tech or luthier that you will never do your own fret dressing or re-frets. These are time consuming jobs that require knowledge and precision.

If it's as simple as a truss rod adjustment, you're in luck as that is not terribly hard to learn, and you should learn how to do it properly, but have somebody in the know show you and explain to you how it is done.

Personally, I recommend that unless you do this for a living on a daily basis, as I do, that it is better to let an experienced tech do it for you. I know that I charge more to fix mistakes by owners than to fix the original problem, and a couple of my luthier buddies feel the same way.

And change your strings man! :eek: that just gross! lol (kidding...but not really)
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.