So I'm in an actual band now... a new one... that's actually active

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
08/23/2005 3:06 am
I decided that the guy I was previously doing business with wasn't working (lack of communication and too hard to get out to his place, hour long drive one way) so I began my quest to find a new band. A friend of mine had recently found a couple of guys, one being a drummer, the other a guitarist, and they had a place to jam. So in total we've got 2 guitarists (myself included on leads), a bassist, drummer, and a vocalist. Nothing elaborate or special in the line up, just what it is. Over the weekend 4 of us were all putting heads together, our bassist was out at the time since he's got a job that took the time up and he wants to take the time to get better at bass. On our first night as a band we came up with a decent little song. Nothing complex in riffs or anything as the rhythm guitarist is quite lacking in technical capabilities so, sadly, I can't just throw anything I can think of at him. The drummer and I, however, clicked like magic or something. There were quite a few hours where we were locked in the room alone just putting heads together and engaging in typical conversational trades, which was quite beneficial as I learned quite a bit on how to communicate with a drummer as well as a few techniques that they use, where as the rhythm guitarist was resorting to mimicing crashes and snares to try and tell the drummer what he meant (which I later found out is quite irritating for a drummer). All in all it was a really good experience and we've got high hopes for this one.

In case any of you suddenly needed an update on my personal life. There you go. Oh yeah, it's black metal this time around, not death metal (not until I convert everyone anyway [insert lame laughing emoticon here])
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/23/2005 12:50 pm
Yeah, me too. My drummer alway's get's a big kick out of me trying to describe to him what I hear in my head for him to do on the drums.... it's quite a site. That's great to hear you found some guy's you click with so well.

BTW, what's the difference between Black Metal and Death Metal? Sorry to sound stupid, but I really don't know. :o
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
08/23/2005 11:48 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaBTW, what's the difference between Black Metal and Death Metal? Sorry to sound stupid, but I really don't know. :o

Plenty of things. The tone quality of the music alone is different enough as in black metal the guitars usually have a really dry sound where death comes with more beef to it. The production in black metal is usually poor and such quality has been accepted as the truest black metal form for some reason or another, so there's a lot of people that intentionally degrade their production for the sound of it. Death metal's got it's bad production, but not nearly like black metal. The vocal style is also quite different, in death metal it's a deep, gutteral growl where black metal usually has a higher, raspy shriek. The song writing, as well, is very different, while there are a good number of talented musicians in black metal, the genre itself is really quite basic. Only a select few bands have incorporated talent in their playing. Death metal's got its fair share of lame wads that settle in skill, but the superior ones have quite an advanced style in speed, structure, and theory. So, I'm in a band that thrives on playing simple stuff... it's just a matter of time until I convert the band (4 of the 5 current members agree that it is just a matter of time).

As far as talking to a drummer goes... well, I guess that really kind of depends on who the drummer you're talking to is. As far as technique goes he explained that he uses the gravity of the sticks and the recoil from hitting toms to prepare him for his next move. For example, say he hits a tom, the stick's gonna bounce back, so rather than clinging on for dear life and keeping the stick in one place and pulling back himself he saves his energy and lets the tom pull it back for him and in turn the stick flings forward on its own letting him prepare for the next hit. Things like that. As far as talking to him goes, well, the drum sounds that I stated above are about all I know as something I can spell out. I'm gonna be jamming tomorrow and thursday so I'll beat more information out of him then, but I'm still new at this too, so... there you go. I also learned that I've got a better sense of rhythm than I thought I had, which rocks.

Oh yeah, thanks for the good words all.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/24/2005 12:37 pm
Thanks for clearing that up for me. What's one good example from each genra? What would COB be classified as, and what would Nevermore be classified as?

A good sence of rythm is one of the best things a guitarist can ever have. I've played with lead guitarists who can smoke with at anything, but put them with a drummer or a beat or a good rythm guitarist and they're lost, and can't figure out why YOU sound like crap when they play.. ha ha. Some people have it, and some don't, but it is something that can be learned with time.

One more thing you might learn from playing with a drummer is to play at various tempo's during the same song.

I come from the belief that the drummer should be the time keeper, but that's not so in my band. My drummer keeps time by going off me. This is not a good thing! While my timming is pretty darn good, I play with a lot of dynamics. So, when I play a softer part with fewer notes, he slow's down, and when I play heavier he speeds up :rolleyes: This has to be the most aggravating thing I've had to deal with, when it comes to other musicians.

oh, and if >this< is what your bass player looks like half way through practice.... it's time for a new bass player. (yes that is my bass player)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
08/24/2005 3:43 pm
Cryptic has friends?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
08/27/2005 2:26 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonCryptic has friends?

Yeah, I know. I was surprised too.

Anyway, more on the drummer jargon. I'd flat out asked the guy what he would prefer me to do to avoid sounding dumb and getting the point across and that ended up with me knowing his drum set as well as he does. His set's not too big (he's very resourceful) so I didn't have too much trouble there and within time things were that much easier to discuss since we were both on the same page calling the same drums by the same name. Oh yeah, it's official too. The drummer and I are the primary song writers. The other guitarist supplies a few riffs here and there, but the drummer and I do all the structuring as well as the majority of the writing. Our vocalist just waits until he's able to do his job.

And regarding the picture... that's basically what our other guitarist looks like. Too bad we jam at his place, or we'd boot him out.

Hulk Smash!!

# 6
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
08/28/2005 9:20 am
Hey, I`ll be Cryptics friend...I actually thought this was another one like his damn (legendary) Girlfriend post.

Well done on the real band man!

And just so you all know, I will say it again,...I got a PRS Custom 22 Artist Package!!!
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
08/28/2005 10:39 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew SaHey, I`ll be Cryptics friend...I actually thought this was another one like his damn (legendary) Girlfriend post.

Well done on the real band man!

And just so you all know, I will say it again,...I got a PRS Custom 22 Artist Package!!!

Would I post such a scandalous thread? Me? Never... not in my entire life. Thanks for the words (the gratitude still applies to everyone). And shush it on the guitar. I've got to save money up for recording equipment. Our vocalist knows a few guys that own a record label, but we're wanting to scope the territory before we go signing things we don't know. For the time though, before signing anything, we're conversating with them to learn what we can about the industry. Till then, I guess, who knows.

Hulk Smash!!

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.