Ibanez RG - The resurrection

ren
ren
08/19/2005 12:58 pm
Hi All,

Some of you may remember me buying a 'bargain' Ibanez RG off Ebay, only for it to arrive with a broken neck... AAARRRGGGGHHH!

This is the state it was in:

Amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it. I'm off to Ebay to buy another clunker to fix up - man it was fun!!! And not bad for Ā£120 initial purchase / materials total.... couldn't get a squire strat for that!

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/19/2005 1:03 pm
Not bad at all!

p.s. Had to move the thread to the right place
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
08/19/2005 6:39 pm
that's awesome dude, I really want to buy a cheap fixer-upper guitar... I need some money though... but in 11 days then I'll be 16 then I can get a job... then I'll probably get a fixer-upper with my first paycheck probably
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 3
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
08/19/2005 6:58 pm
I wish I knew how to do that sort of thing.

# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
08/19/2005 8:29 pm
so, did you refinish it? or just sand off the old finish?
my spyspace
# 5
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
08/19/2005 9:18 pm
Looks like you did a very nice job. How's she sound?
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 6
ren
ren
08/20/2005 2:58 pm
Thanks all.... I'm very pleased with it. To answer questions...

It sounds sweet man... really pleased with it. I sanded the old finish back, and then stained it darker. Topped it off with spray can laquer - loads of sanding in between coats, but easy enough. The back and sides are darker than the front, and I masked off a strip around the edge when I stained it to create a bound sort of look.

It's a 2002 RG320fa (flamed ash cap), but the trem has been swapped for a pro edge rather than the stock lo trs, so tuning seems stable. The phase reversal switch was just a straight after market swap - loads of points to solder, but aside from my shaky hands, no problems. The stock pickups have really impressed me - not sure what they are, but have high output, and seem to give nice Vai Hi Gain type sounds.

Oh, and I've never tried something like this before, so you can definitely do it just as well as I did..... The neck was tricky to clamp once I'd glued it, but it's OK so far :eek:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 7
quickfingers
quickfingers
08/21/2005 12:14 am
haha, wood glue and clamps are a guitarist's best friends. well, not really but acutally, i had to do the same thing for my guitar. problem is, i have one electric guitar, and thats the one that broke. i was coming back from school, and while wlaking up to my house, the top of my guitar strap broke right off, and it just basically catapulted the head of my guitar to the ground. ive only been playing guitar for 2 years, but i consider myself a pretty good guitarist, especially for that long of playing. however, i spend most my money on books, not a new guitar. thats partly the reason why i hate kids that have gibsons that cant tell their thumb from their asshole. but anywho, i brought it right in to my kitchen table to asses the damage. right when i opened my case i could hear metal jingling, which usually isnt the best sign. i opened it and found the head of my guitar split right in half. the split went from the side a bit, totally breaking loose my small E and B tuning pegs, down right to the neck. luckilly, there was no damage to the neck wehre it would affect my playing on it, like there was no split by the first fret. but even so, it was very close, and my guitar was totally ****ed up. the split forked up near my E and B tuning peg slots, so i had 2 peices of wood completely off my guitar. i had to reallign the tuning pegs by hand and use wood glue to put it back together. i clamped it with 2 metal clamps that go tight by using a screwdriver. that was about 4 months ago, and its held up nicely. almost absolutely no tuning problems whatsoever. i mean, it doesnt have a fixed bridge, so i woudlnt expect it to stay exactly in tune al lthe time, of course. id show you pictures, but you couldnt really tell where the splits where becasue its got glue residue along the top and bottom. moral of the story, my guitar still looks like a peice of ****, and its a 150$ squire strat, but its all i got for the moment, and it still plays as good as i bought it, amazingly.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 8
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
08/21/2005 7:40 am
Originally Posted by: quickfingersthats partly the reason why i hate kids that have gibsons that cant tell their thumb from their asshole.

now wait... thumb is where poop comes out and a**hole is what I stick up my thumb right?

sorry, but being the proud owner of a new gibson, I couldn't resist
my spyspace
# 9
quickfingers
quickfingers
08/23/2005 6:31 pm
hahaha, no offense to you, but jesus christ i hate that. theres this kid in my guitar class at school and he has like 5 guitars, and he is "all about guitar" and ****, but he sucks. he cant really play lead becasue he has no finger coordination, but he will sit there and "shred" (And i use the term loosely here) on his gross little amp he brings to class and it just sounds like pure ****. the kids been playing guitar for like 4 years, and his parents are rich enough wehre he could easilly get lessons, books, or wahtever he needs. he still sucks. whatever.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.