bending

gogogo
gogogo
07/25/2005 4:14 pm
i was needing a little help with bending...my problem is when i bend i end up hitting other strings on the release...help would be much appreciated
# 1
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
07/25/2005 5:19 pm
You gotta use reinforced bending (extra support fingers) at times, but this raises your issue of hitting other strings. Depending on which string you're bending you might try bending the other way. Otherwise, as with most things it just takes practice and hand strength.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/26/2005 4:49 am
That's basically it. You gotta learn to mute strings all the time.
Either with the left or right hand depending on what note you're playing.
# 3
TreeGodfather
TreeGodfather
07/26/2005 5:05 am
Interesting.

I tend to bend down for just that reason; since in the process of bending down, the fretted finger tends to automatically mute the strings below it, whereas when I bend up I'd have to do it seperately.
Reverand Erik :cool:
"BluesPicker"
http://bluespickersforum.mywowbb.com/
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/26/2005 5:10 am
Weird. The only time I bend downwards is if I'm pulling off to my first finger.
I only use one finger to bend up as well cause I find I can get better control & vibrato.
# 5
TreeGodfather
TreeGodfather
07/26/2005 5:14 am
Schmange, it's probably an adaptive response to my injury; a way for me to maximize use out of the dexterity I have maybe? LOL

I'm the only guy I know who bends all but the 1st string down.

Getting better with the other stuff tho, as time marches on! :D

(Come to think of it, I meant to post at CJ with some pics, since some guys asked just what it looks like.)
Reverand Erik :cool:
"BluesPicker"
http://bluespickersforum.mywowbb.com/
# 6
Superhuman
Superhuman
07/26/2005 10:24 am
Reinforced bending helps but it can make vibrato more difficult for a beginner. I find that if you bend a string down (towards the ground), the pad of your finger should touch and mute the lower string (the heel of your right palm simultaneously mutes the upper strings), as you release the bend, the heel of your right hand should mute the lower strings and if needed shift over to dampen the upper strings... Hard to explain but you will probably get your own technique in time.
Try turning the lights off and sitting in a dark room. If you can't see the fretboard you will rely on your sense of touch and your ear. Just keep bending the same note over and over, then try working up and down the fretboard, your ear should tell you what to adjust. I find that my playing is a lot more expressive if I play in the dark or with my eyes closed, it also helps with your articulation and knowledge of the fretboard.
# 7
Superhuman
Superhuman
07/26/2005 10:29 am
Come to think of it, I also do all of my bends downwards... unless I need to get to a higher note on the next string. I suppose its best to practise bends up and down!
# 8
ren
ren
07/26/2005 10:46 am
Just if it helps, I pretty much always bend up, and use my middle and ring fingers for the bend (sometimes pinky as well / substitute), and lie my index finger flat behind them to mute adjacent strings...

Works for me....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 9
gogogo
gogogo
07/27/2005 3:33 pm
thanx im am much obliged for the feedback!
# 10
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
08/30/2005 5:02 pm
Usually i rest the pick and my thumb on the upper 2 strings from teh string im bending when im release a bend.
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 11
aschleman
aschleman
08/30/2005 7:38 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanTry turning the lights off and sitting in a dark room. If you can't see the fretboard you will rely on your sense of touch and your ear. Just keep bending the same note over and over, then try working up and down the fretboard, your ear should tell you what to adjust. I find that my playing is a lot more expressive if I play in the dark or with my eyes closed, it also helps with your articulation and knowledge of the fretboard.

This is so true... Humans are unlike any other living being because we have the abilities to adapt in a short amount of time... where as most living things take generations upon generations of genetic adaptation and natural selection to adapt to a certain environment... humans can do it within their own lifetimes. When one sense fails one or more sense is hieghtened to give you the ability to adapt to the situation. Turning the lights off is a great way to practice this... It will also help you hear the notes (believe it or not). When your sense of sight is lost your sense of touch, smell, hearing, and taste all become enhanced... mainly your sense of touch and your sense of hearing because they operate in similar portions of the brain... and since the part of the brain that controls your sight is not functioning it allows more activity in the other sections... This allows you to hear the notes better and feel the fretboard better. Practice with the lights out and you will tell a difference in your playing within a few weeks.... Sorry for my scientific rant... I just thought that was very good advice and I thought it would be worth it to explain the science of it all.
# 12
J.Hammett
J.Hammett
09/04/2005 1:08 am
Originally Posted by: schmangeWeird. The only time I bend downwards is if I'm pulling off to my first finger.
I only use one finger to bend up as well cause I find I can get better control & vibrato.

I don't get this. Do you mean bending down, releasing, then pulling off or bending then pulling off? Hope you can help me Schmange.

As a reply for this post I just have to say that it just takes practice. I had the same problem and almost quite playing just because of it but over time I realized that it was gone and almost didn't notice it. Try and figure a way to mute strings that sound when you bend. When I bend up I mute the top couple strings with my fret hand. I don't really bend down but it seems like my fret hand mute the bottom strings.
# 13
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/04/2005 2:23 am
I mean on a riff like this...

E |---------------------------------------------------|
B |---------------------------------------------------|
G |--7p5b7-------------------------------------------|
D |---------------------------------------------------|
A |---------------------------------------------------|
E |---------------------------------------------------|

... instead of bending upwards, I'll pull off to my first finger and bend downwards.
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.