View post (bending)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
08/30/2005 7:38 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanTry turning the lights off and sitting in a dark room. If you can't see the fretboard you will rely on your sense of touch and your ear. Just keep bending the same note over and over, then try working up and down the fretboard, your ear should tell you what to adjust. I find that my playing is a lot more expressive if I play in the dark or with my eyes closed, it also helps with your articulation and knowledge of the fretboard.

This is so true... Humans are unlike any other living being because we have the abilities to adapt in a short amount of time... where as most living things take generations upon generations of genetic adaptation and natural selection to adapt to a certain environment... humans can do it within their own lifetimes. When one sense fails one or more sense is hieghtened to give you the ability to adapt to the situation. Turning the lights off is a great way to practice this... It will also help you hear the notes (believe it or not). When your sense of sight is lost your sense of touch, smell, hearing, and taste all become enhanced... mainly your sense of touch and your sense of hearing because they operate in similar portions of the brain... and since the part of the brain that controls your sight is not functioning it allows more activity in the other sections... This allows you to hear the notes better and feel the fretboard better. Practice with the lights out and you will tell a difference in your playing within a few weeks.... Sorry for my scientific rant... I just thought that was very good advice and I thought it would be worth it to explain the science of it all.