Help my Strat!!!!!!!!

StratTone
StratTone
05/01/2001 12:11 pm
I bought a 99 American Standard Stratocaster and
i am very unhappy with it. I can't get the intonation
to set up even decent. I have set up many guitars and I
have also been playing for about 10 years. I also have a squire that
i use just to beat around and it will setup better.
What is the weak link in the newer american standards?
Is it the neck or the bridge or is there no hope. I have
played some with a maple neck and they don't seem to
have as much as a problem. I am also using the texas specials with the staggard pole peices and they create a
lot of warble. Any info would be appreciated. thank you.
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/02/2001 12:15 am
Mybe it would be a good idea to spend some money having it set up by a professional. Sure, if you have been playing for so long you probably know quite a lot about setting it up, but as far as I can see, every strat is different, and it might be good to send it to someone who is used to working iwth them.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
StratTone
StratTone
05/02/2001 11:44 am
I have been doing setups for a long time and i am sure i know what i am doing but just to make sure i took it to a store to have it checked over and they had no idea either. I beleive it is the neck but it is as strait as an arrow. Could it be the bridge?
# 3
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
05/03/2001 12:48 am
*Putting on heavy strings (to set it up)and use a scope while plucking harmonics........Other than that, Take a chainsaw to the Phucker and start over...problem solved !!! :D
*Turn the bastard up and see what happenz.... :D
# 4
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/03/2001 3:08 am
Ok, so what exactly is the problem? I take it you adjusted the bridge saddles already, so can you get good intonation at the twelfth fret? I would imagine then that the intonation everywhere else is crap? It might work to file down the nut, so that the action at the nut is lower, also, lowering the action can help but you of course have to worry about fret buzz. Umm, I would also seriously considering getting a new pack of stringfs and making sure they are well stretched in, as old or badly stretched strings can create intonation problems. I'm not sure how much of this you have tried, or even if you have the problems I think you might (I had some similar problems with my squier which are better now). I got a lot of help from a guy at http://www.allexperts.com so you might like to talk to someone there. Hope this helps.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 5
StratTone
StratTone
05/03/2001 12:14 pm
You are right on, I set intonation at the 12th and
the rest of the guitar sounds like crap. Especially
the D and C cord by the nut. What do you file the nut
down with. I have also heard that you could dress the
frets and this could fix it but i don't want to waste
$40 and this not be the problem. thank you for your
help.
,Dave
# 6
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/03/2001 11:18 pm
Yeah, i found that the worst culprit was the G string, my g# sounded almost closer to an A. I didn't file the nut on mine, because I was able to remedy it with lowering the action and using a very light touch, so I don't know what you would use. On strats, often the nut isn't glued in, it is simply wedged, you can take it out, and I guess just use an ordinary file to evnly take away a bit at the bottom. This might be a last resort though, as you can't really turn back. I don't even know what dressing the frets means, so I don't know if that will work. Just remember that the nut has to be higher than any of the frets by some degree or you will get heaps of fret buzz. As I said, with somehting like that, you might want to take it to a proffessional, anyhting that will permantly alter the guitar I would advise at tleast talking to someone who really knows what they are doing.
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/05/2001 2:19 pm
You mentioned that you're using Texas Specials. The magnets in those babies are quite a bit stronger than the stockers. Try dropping them a little deeper into the guitar body, (away from the strings). Yes, the output is reduced a bit, but then if you don't like what you've been hearing, this may be a good thing, yes?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/06/2001 5:15 am
Yes, that is probably the warbling, which I didn't cover. I don't really know anything AT ALL about pickups. One day I will learn. After I memorise and internalise all the modes of the melodic minor scale...
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/06/2001 9:33 am
I have heard that the domestic US market has been ill-served by the 'buy American' credo, in that it has been used by unscrupulous businesses as an oportunity to foist sub-standard merchandise on a patriotic clientel.:eek:

Goods made off-shore can't hide behind this misguided policy, so they must maintain competitive price/quality or die in the marketplace. American-made Stratocasters and Telecasters seem to figure in an unusually high number of the complaints that have surfaced lately. This may simply be people indulging in a 'me too' reaction to an initial gripe, or it may be a real problem. Is it merely coincidence that the Japanese and Korean guitars are getting rave reviews these days? :(

Pickups with strong magnets can pull the strings down from the straight path they would otherwise take, from the nut or a fret, to the bridge. This can cause the sort of nightmarish intonation hassles you describe. This is easily corrected, as per my previous post.

Or it may be that the spacing between frets is not accurate. This is a 'terminal' condition, for which the only cure is replacement of the fingerboard. It would be simpler, (and thus cheaper) to replace the entire neck. I guess the silver lining in this particular cloud would be the chance to try out one of the excellent necks from Warmoth. Unless Fender is willing to do right by you under warranty.:rolleyes:

I can sympathize with you. An expensive guitar should be a source of joy and satisfaction. This just has to be seriously frustrating! :mad:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 10
Elmo45
Elmo45
05/07/2001 4:06 am
Did you put the pick ups in after you bought it, or did they come with the guitar.
Was it used? Also did you buy it recently, or back in 1999?
# 11
Jon68
Jon68
05/26/2001 10:20 pm
There are a multitude of things that can cause intonation problems and many of them interact: Setup of the bridge, neck relief and tilt are the most obvious. If the pickups are too close to the strings, the magnet pull can affect the intonation, so lower the pickups. How about the tremolo? Try adding a spring and/or adjusting the tension (or even blocking the trem). Try a different brand or gauge of string and repeat the setup. Playing styles really affect intonation - if you really grab the neck hard, your intonation will suffer. How hard you pick the strings will also affect intonation. Do you have any other problems, such as string buzz? Those can indicate problems with the frets or string height. Sometimes a guitar is just bad - I have a friend with a Taylor acoustic that would "fret-out" on certain frets even after two trips to the factory. Fortunately Taylor replaced the guitar. I would recommend taking the guitar to an authorized Fender dealer and explain the problem. Pay them to set the guitar up and check it out before you leave. If all else fails, contact Fender and see what they will do.

# 12
overdrive
overdrive
05/31/2001 12:16 am
I have been informed by some experts on guitars and they have said that Fender is not making their guitars as well as they used to. It started in the 90's. If I were you I would sell it and buy an older model. Even if it's used it's probably worth it. That's my oppinion anyway.
Bubbachuck
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.