View post (Help my Strat!!!!!!!!)

View thread

Jon68
Jon68
05/26/2001 10:20 pm
There are a multitude of things that can cause intonation problems and many of them interact: Setup of the bridge, neck relief and tilt are the most obvious. If the pickups are too close to the strings, the magnet pull can affect the intonation, so lower the pickups. How about the tremolo? Try adding a spring and/or adjusting the tension (or even blocking the trem). Try a different brand or gauge of string and repeat the setup. Playing styles really affect intonation - if you really grab the neck hard, your intonation will suffer. How hard you pick the strings will also affect intonation. Do you have any other problems, such as string buzz? Those can indicate problems with the frets or string height. Sometimes a guitar is just bad - I have a friend with a Taylor acoustic that would "fret-out" on certain frets even after two trips to the factory. Fortunately Taylor replaced the guitar. I would recommend taking the guitar to an authorized Fender dealer and explain the problem. Pay them to set the guitar up and check it out before you leave. If all else fails, contact Fender and see what they will do.