*#!$%*@ !?#*[&! PARCELFORCE

ren
ren
07/20/2005 7:52 am
Man....

Got myself a bargain RG from ebay - Flamed ash.... beautiful, and cost me almost nothing... too good to be true? on reflection, perhaps...

It arrived yesterday - the goon had sent it in a gig bag with brown paper over it... so not very well protected. When I unwrapped it, I found that the fingerboard was only just keeping the headstock on! The neck was broken straight through.

No postage insurance was offered by the seller, and I didn't ask for it, so now my dilemma is basically whether he's ripped me off or not. Did he:

a) Know it was screwed before he sent it, and deliberately didn't offer
postage insurance knowing he could blame the courier and there would
be nothing I could do about it.

b) Send the guitar in perfect condition, and it's unlucky.

Being a cynic, I believe the former, particularly as I mailed him yesterday and received no reply. All other communications with him prior to shipping were very quick.

Does anyone know what I can do? I paid with paypal but it's gone through - I guess it goes down as 'goods not received as described' as he said the guitar was completely playable and ready to go.

For me, it's not so much the money as the idea that someone is now sat laughing at me over this... :mad:

Any advice on recovering monies or how to kill the bugger without anyone finding out* gratefully received. Actually, the cops over here are so useless I could probably kill him in a police station car park and get away with it.

I'm just gutted guys...

* For legal reasons, obviously, I'm not actually gonna kill him, but some torture is a definite possibility :eek:

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 1
ren
ren
07/20/2005 8:10 am
Originally Posted by: CW14Man, that's a b****.

I'm not sure whether he ripped you off... but I don't think he should be laughing over it when you have access to his details

Yeah, but what can I do? back in the day, if you were cheeky you got a good kicking, but these days if I even speak to him aggressively I'll probably be arrested. Really, I just want a playable guitar.

Ideally, he'd pay for a new neck, in the real world, maybe we'd split the difference.... but it's getting hold of a new neck that isn't warmoth...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
ren
ren
07/20/2005 10:06 am
Well, the jury is out on how it happened, but the guy was OK on the 'phone - we're now trying to get compensation out of the courier (who insure by default as it turns out).

I need to rename this thread to *#!$%*@ !?#*[&! PARCELFORCE. Now the focus has shifted to getting hold of a new neck, which looks like it's gonna be a pain in the arse as well.... wonder if it would be workable to glue the thing back together?

Anyone ever had to get hold of an Ibanez neck in the UK? Seriously, don't tell me ebay!!!

# 3
ren
ren
07/20/2005 12:57 pm
Feeling a bit unhappy today because of the guitar.... more so as Headstock (ibanez UK distributor) say it'll take Ā£135 and 4 months to get me a new neck.

I've always fancied being a luthier, so I'm gonna start with a bit of neck repair...

What's the worst that can happen? (Don't answer that! :eek: )

# 4
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
07/20/2005 1:51 pm
Sorry about your luck dude. At least you got ahold of the guy over the phone. I don't know how it is over in the UK, but here when something goes wrong we just start suing everybody until you end up better than when you started.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 5
ren
ren
07/20/2005 2:02 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI think the worst has already happened, anything from here is an improvment.

Kinda what I figured man.... gotta be worth a go...

Parcelforce? Parcelfarce... they say it'll take 40 WORKING days to 'evaluate' my claim - so that's 2 months pretty much... argh!

Things in the UK are catching up with the US in terms of litigation LeeDogg - but I doubt I'd win. I'm either going to attempt repair myself, or throw it out of my window.... haven't decided yet.

# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/20/2005 3:13 pm
> Does anyone know what I can do? I paid with paypal but it's gone through

As far as I know PayPal should cover you for up to $1,500.
Worth checking into anyways.
# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/20/2005 4:09 pm
Dude, I'm sorry about your luck on that one.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 8
Kutzki
Kutzki
07/20/2005 5:36 pm
Originally Posted by: LeedoggSorry about your luck dude. At least you got ahold of the guy over the phone. I don't know how it is over in the UK, but here when something goes wrong we just start suing everybody until you end up better than when you started.

Here in Canada its sorta split down the middle how things are dealt with. You either get beaten the sh** out of you.
Or sued the sh** out of you. I live in a actual city so here we do the sueing method. But of course the mofia here uses the beaten method. Sorry, I dono why i am sayin all
this it ant really important to the thread.

Back to the guitar.

Are you gonna replace the neck, or you gonna just get any old neck?

cus the truth is that would be groovey if you like bought a different neck for your guitar.

And it could end up being cheaper and groovier.

Anyways good luck and hope it all works out for the best.
When it comes down to it, our guitar's will always be there for us. :rolleyes:
# 9
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
07/20/2005 6:36 pm
That does suck man....That's the reason I never buy anything off of e-bay...You never really know what your getting until you actually receive it.

Actually, fixing it shouldn't be a problem. I would just drill 2 small holes, maybe 1/4" holes, on each side of the neck (at the biggest section of wood) and on the headstock to where the holes line up, and glue in a wooden peg for strength, and of course add glue to the entire joint being glued. Headstocks have been glued back on with success (not by me, never actually had to), so fixing the neck is a possibility. You'll just have to be careful to be sure the holes that are drilled match up perfectly....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 10
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/20/2005 7:09 pm
Originally Posted by: zreynoldspI need to rename this thread to *#!$%*@ !?#*[&! PARCELFORCE.

Done.

And why not a Warmouth neck? Are they significantly more expensive in the UK?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
07/20/2005 7:10 pm
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar:_Necks/22-Fret_Blank-peghead_Guitar_Necks.html
that's really the only thing that I could find that might work... the only other option that I can think of, is to go to ibanez.com and click on "parts" then find your guitar and copy the part number for the neck, then go back, and click on support instead of parts, and enter in the part number. now, usually for me it comes up with 0 results... but you might get lucky, then you should have a price on a new neck.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 12
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
07/20/2005 7:41 pm
Sorry about your luck on this one. What you may be able to do is this; if you have a friend or an associate who is a lawyer, or is in school to become one, begin to paper the h**l out of Paypal, Parcelforce and Ebay. Seriously, sometimes enough letters threatening litigation is enough to spark a little interest. Letters with the name of a law firm or from a lawyer directly indicating that they represent you and that they hope to avoid costly litigation on both sides. In that, if repairs are made, at no cost to you, as soon as humanly possible, then there will be no need for the courts to get involved. However, IF it becomes neccessary to litigate the matter, not only do you want your money refunded AND a new guitar, you will also need to be compensated for your time, effort and legal fees.

Most companies will settle up in some fashion.

If you do not have representation, you can actually start this paper train on your own. Trouble is, they tend to ignore you until you get some hired legal gun to contact them.

I do know this, if I were going to do it this way, I would photograph the guitar a million different ways and I would NOT start any sort of repairs. Once you do that, then their immediate defense is that you altered the evidence and then they have no fear of litigation.

In this country, our courts systems are jammed packed with lawsuits. What most people don't know is that 80%-90% of all lawsuits are settled up before they ever reach the courts. Some times you gotta yell a little bit for someone to hear you.

Good luck.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 13
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/21/2005 12:19 am
I once got ripped off on ebay. It wasn't much of a story. I bought a movie for a dollar and shipping was $5. So in total the guy won a crazy $6 off me and I never got my movie. Bastard will pay in pain if I get my hands on him too. Granted the movie wasn't exactly a box office smash, but I still want it dammit.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 14
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
07/21/2005 2:56 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI once got ripped off on ebay. It wasn't much of a story. I bought a movie for a dollar and shipping was $5. So in total the guy won a crazy $6 off me and I never got my movie. Bastard will pay in pain if I get my hands on him too. Granted the movie wasn't exactly a box office smash, but I still want it dammit.

Just to ease my curiosity what movie was it?
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 15
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/21/2005 3:25 am
Originally Posted by: LeedoggJust to ease my curiosity what movie was it?

Capitol Conspiracy.

Hulk Smash!!

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.