no more smoking...

allihay
allihay
06/30/2005 4:14 pm
Hey -- Hope you are doing OK today.... I quit smoking when I was 30, before I wanted to get pregnant. Successful! I quit for 7 years. Then I went to a funeral for an old friend, and all my old buddies were smoking, and I had just one...... 4 years later, here I am planning on quiting again.
It's that first puff that kills ya. Good luck to you, wish me luck, I plan on using my guitar as a substitute!
Allison
# 1
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/30/2005 4:31 pm
Originally Posted by: allihay...wish me luck, I plan on using my guitar as a substitute!
Allison

Good luck!! :)
I smoke on and off. When I drink, sometimes I'll smoke ten in a night. Other times I drink and smoke nothing at all. Then recently I noticed it's tending to become more of a habit, so I'm not smoking anymore. It's easy for me, coz I'm not a "proper" smoker. I just simply don't. It's like deciding, "...today I'm not cooking, I'm buying grilled pork from this place in town that makes lovely grilled pork and fries. Then I'll use the time I'd have used to cook to do something else..." It's not a struggle at all. So, I've decided to quit before becoming a gone case.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/30/2005 10:41 pm
Originally Posted by: kingdavid... So, I've decided to quit before becoming a gone case.
[font=trebuchet ms]All the pysical stuff you go through makes no difference at all unless you change your sense of who and what you are. I stopped many times before I finally made it stick.

I used to think of myself as a smoker who had stopped. What made this last (and final) time different is that I now think of myself as a non-smoker. And I'm not about to change that.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
07/01/2005 12:50 am
I feel for you. I quit a pack a day habit a few years ago.

The key, IMHO, is to understand that you just aren't going to feel good for a while. You have to accept that quitting causes suffering and allow yourself to just drudge through for a while. It is a major life change and it is normal for you to hurt from it. It may take all you got, you might have to quit your second job to reduce stress, you may have to let other people get one over on you who normally wouldn't get away with it, you may have to give up other goals to get this one. It is not a "spare time" thing.

The other thing I would say is don't worry about whether or not you are gonna smoke on new year's or any other future time. You have to not smoke today to even HAVE that problem.

Cigarettes actually have no useful/pleasant traits. If you think they do (thinking you enjoyed it, it tasted good, looked cool, etc) that is really just the addiction talking. Once you take a step back, they are tottally useless, stinky and expensive.

Hang in there! The problems quitting smoking causes actually go away and then your life will get normal-ish.

Hope that helps!
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/01/2005 1:12 am
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickI feel for you. I quit a pack a day habit a few years ago.

The key, IMHO, is to understand that you just aren't going to feel good for a while. You have to accept that quitting causes suffering and allow yourself to just drudge through for a while. It is a major life change and it is normal for you to hurt from it. It may take all you got, you might have to quit your second job to reduce stress, you may have to let other people get one over on you who normally wouldn't get away with it, you may have to give up other goals to get this one. It is not a "spare time" thing.

The other thing I would say is don't worry about whether or not you are gonna smoke on new year's or any other future time. You have to not smoke today to even HAVE that problem.

Cigarettes actually have no useful/pleasant traits. If you think they do (thinking you enjoyed it, it tasted good, looked cool, etc) that is really just the addiction talking. Once you take a step back, they are tottally useless, stinky and expensive.

Hang in there! The problems quitting smoking causes actually go away and then your life will get normal-ish.

Hope that helps!

I always find myself awestruck whenever Jon speaks up. It's like God himself came down from the heavens to chat. Not that I'm making any comparisons, but he's always got something chock full of wisdom to say... at least that I've noticed.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 5
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
07/01/2005 1:27 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI always find myself awestruck whenever Jon speaks up. It's like God himself came down from the heavens to chat. Not that I'm making any comparisons, but he's always got something chock full of wisdom to say... at least that I've noticed.

Getting pretty thick in here? :D

I feel ya man. It's always a welcome surprise to hear from the Maestro.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
07/01/2005 2:30 am
Originally Posted by: LeedoggGetting pretty thick in here? :D

I feel ya man. It's always a welcome surprise to hear from the Maestro.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty thick when I reread it, but I figured why not.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 7
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
07/01/2005 5:47 am
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickCigarettes actually have no useful/pleasant traits. If you think they do (thinking you enjoyed it, it tasted good, looked cool, etc) that is really just the addiction talking. Once you take a step back, they are tottally useless, stinky and expensive.

I don't smoke that much, varies every day, but somewhere around 4 a day. I still get a buzz from a smoke. The main thing about smoking cigs is that it helps enhance othere feelings.
1 Peter 2:16
# 8
ren
ren
07/01/2005 10:36 am
it's as good an excuse as any other.... :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 9
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/01/2005 1:19 pm
Is there anyone who hasn't quit? You all are making me feel bad.

# 10
ren
ren
07/01/2005 1:27 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollyIs there anyone who hasn't quit? You all are making me feel bad.

I haven't... I don't smoke cigerettes anymore though ;)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 11
kingdavid
kingdavid
07/01/2005 4:33 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollyIs there anyone who hasn't quit? You all are making me feel bad.

Quit m'lady, quit.
It hurts your prospects of pregnancy and stuff, and I know you want to have Jolly's baby. :)
# 12
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/01/2005 4:39 pm
Originally Posted by: crazywolf... The main thing about smoking cigs is that it helps enhance othere feelings.
[font=trebuchet ms]As Jon put it, "that's the addiction talking". What smoking cigs really does, is dull your sense of taste so that you don't notice the difference between good food and crap, dull your sense of smell so that you don't know how bad your clothes, hair and skin stinks, and clogs up your lungs so that eventually they don't work anymore.

That last part takes quite a while to happen. When I was 25, after smoking for 10 years, I chased down a truck to talk to the driver about helping me move. He didn't know I was trying to catch him, so he matched my speed just to see how fast I was running. I finally caught him at a red light, 6 blocks later, at 25 mph. By the time I quit 20 years later, I couldn't run more than a few steps without collapsing. Don't go there.

Cigarettes STINK!!
And smokers suck 'em.
[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 13
redspecial
redspecial
07/03/2005 7:02 pm
finally feel ok! :)
man i think its over... i dont smoke even a just one breath since i start the thread. now i feel better! you know, no crawling...

the whole thing was a great xperience about "why i shouldnt start again"... :D
[FONT=Verdana]rest in heavenly peace lil' fox...[/FONT]
# 14
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
07/03/2005 7:55 pm
sweet, red!

And you guys are too kind to me.

One time I went into my own chat room on one of my own websites and talked to a couple guys. They said "who are you?" and I said "I am the webmaster" and they said "what are you doing here?"

Anyway, I am reluctant to stop being "neutral/admin/referee" and say what I think. Thanks for the warm response.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 15
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
07/04/2005 12:09 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraIt just shows what an awesome community we have here on GT.

Yea, we're Awsweme!

My YouTube Profile
# 16
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
07/04/2005 4:13 am
lol yep.

But about the whole smoking thing i really didnt understand it. I tried one and it was really really gross. Well 6 months later i forgot that part and my friend got me a whole pack and i went down the train tracks a bit and smoked some and relearned how gross they were. And because im very thick I got another cig from the same friend because this kid said it makes him dizzy and smoked that one and thats when i decided there is nothing good about them. You get a scratchy throat and you smell horrible. Thats about it... although is it my imagination or do you not get a scratchy throat or smell from smoking a certain kind of other stuff...
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 17
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/04/2005 4:19 am
Originally Posted by: x0o_BurnOut_o0x... although is it my imagination or do you not get a scratchy throat or smell from smoking a certain kind of other stuff...
[font=trebuchet ms]If you cough, that 'other stuff' will do a major trash job on your throat. And just like tobacco, anyone who hasn't been smoking can smell it on your clothes, hair, skin, and breath.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 18
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
12/01/2005 2:25 am
Mmmk, I can now join the quitter's club, barely. I haven't had a cig in about 3 days now. I didn't sleep real well the 1st night, and had weird dreams when I did. So let's see, I started smoking in about '95 or so. I think I'll miss blowing rings the most (I had mastered the art). All is not lost there though...I'll still make some mean rings with that "other" smoke one day. I know it's only been 3 days now, but I think the hardest part is done with. I'm in a much better mood now and can start thinking of the guitar toys I'll buy with my would be smoking money. :D

P.S. The final change came in me not because I knew it would kill me, everybody knows that but it's hardly ever a "real" threat cuz it takes years and we're young and invincible and apathetic and whatever, but because of a newfound interest in investing/finance I've acquired. I realised the whole purpose of making money, retiring, getting rich etc, is to have time to do what you want. Time is more valuable than money. So I figured the best investment for me right now would be one that gave me more time. It was that easy.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 19
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
12/01/2005 3:13 am
Congrats man, you've made a wise-choice.
My YouTube Profile
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.