This site's a major con job.....right?

musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
06/21/2005 1:20 am
Hey,
While searching google for a chord I got to this address in the sponsored links section:
http://fret2fret.com/

Reading on that site for 2 minutes got me really pi**ed off as its such a load of crap, but what i cant understand is how he is offering a money back guarantee... any ideas?.... anyone? or anyone heard of/tried something like this?

Note: I am in NO way connected to that site.

Cheers,
MAg
- They call it "PMS" because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken.

- Ah, yes, divorce.., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. -- Robin Williams
# 1
mike&theblues
mike&theblues
06/21/2005 1:34 am
Somehow sounds just too good to be true, what with quotes like -

...my seven year old son mastered it in only 45 minutes! And the amazing thing is he doesn't even play the guitar!

Now if this is some suberb new system that will make you remember and know instinctivly were every note on the guitar is, in just 45 mins, even if you have never picked one up before, i would love to talk to someone who has actually tried it.

Has anyone tried it?
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/21/2005 2:07 am
Since I haveoney to spare, i might just check that out, the no ? asked guarantee might come in handy afterwards. I'll keep you posted.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/21/2005 2:26 am
bought it, now waiting for the "instant" downloadable access.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
ren
ren
06/21/2005 7:57 am
I, like the rest of you guys no doubt, have seen loads of these types of sites over the years, and they seem to be buying ad space on google etc, making them more visible.

They are ALL b*llocks in my considered opinion. Imagine how gutted the virtuosi of the world will be when they find out they only needed to spend an hour reading rather than the 10+ hours of practice they did per day for years :p .

They remind me of all the 'get rich quick' sites you see now and again - by appealing to our core desire (in this instance to play the guitar like a screaming demon) they hope to get the comparitively small amount of money from us, and the guarantee gives us comfort for long enough to complete the transaction.

Save your money, and use the time you would have spent reading the fret2fret crap to get some practice in.... if you look on ebay, they're some muppet selling strips of paper with all the notes written on that you strap around your guitar neck!!!

There's only one way to do anything well, and it's to take the time necessary to become a master through determination and practice - no short cuts. Don't get me wrong though, if it turns out you can learn how to play like the son of Satch and Jennifer Batten simply by concentrating really hard on a dodgy download, you'll let me know right? :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
testmonkey
testmonkey
06/21/2005 1:52 pm
this reminds me so much of all those othre garbage sites like edirectclubplus.com, that offer you deals you can't refuse.

fret2fret seems like a con based on the way it looks- it offers you something that seems to good to pass up, and when they mention parties and whatever they give you a sense of urgency.
and all he really says is that he helps you memerize the fretboard.. its not that hard. you know the notes of the open strings, and each fret is half a step. its easier to understand that than it is to remeber what fret plays which note. then, if you want to become a guitar god, all you have to do is do everything that everyone else did/does.

and i think if it were that amazing, it woulda been a bit more publicized. i dont know whats up with all this magic quick fix things nowadays. and not just for guitar, for everything. everyones trying to convince everyone else that if they buy their system, they can make money while sitting at home doing nothing, lose weight while watching tv, etc. the list is endless.

but then again, let's wait and see what elklandercc says.
# 6
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
06/21/2005 2:28 pm
Hey,

Elkandercc, I was actually hopeing one of this site's admins would respond as they have a very similar money back guarantee on this site...or maybe they would join and test it out...but since you seem to have money to spare... :p

Did you get your "instant" download?

Like everyone who responded, I too am just too skeptical of something that sounds too good to be true...coz usually its a con job (hence this threads title)

But I have been wrong in the past (yes, quite unbeliveable isnt it? if you speak to my ex girl she'll tell you i've been wrong my whole life...but then again, she's a lier :rolleyes: ) so....all thats left is...tell us how it goes! :cool:

Cheers,
Mag

- Ah, yes, divorce.., from the Latin word meaning to rip out a man's genitals through his wallet. -- Robin Williams
# 7
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
06/21/2005 4:28 pm
I have noticed a lot of paid guitar lesson or guitar method sites have pretty much the same writing style, and almost the same format:

dear guitar player,
i have something amazing to tell you...blah blah....(newsletter popup drops down across the page)...some more talk about how amazed your friends will be...

lots of different colors and fonts....

intersperse some customer testimonials.....

here are your free bonuses....

bonus 1 blah

bonus 2 blah

money back guarantee.

buy it now....

It makes me curious who invented this style of communication and why everyone follows it so closely.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 8
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
06/21/2005 7:36 pm
My guess is some marketing SOBs or DOBs (see? I'm not sexist)

and the reason people follow it so closely is...it must work with most people (just a guess again)

If I signed up from that site, I would ignore the "feedback" etc...the thing that interests me the most is the money back guarantee, but everytime I see a site like that my "con alarm bells" ring like crazy

Cheers,
Mag

# 9
testmonkey
testmonkey
06/21/2005 8:27 pm
...my seven year old son mastered it in only 45 minutes! And the amazing thing is he doesn't even play the guitar!

haha. if this guys scam doesnt work out, he could start a career in comedy.
# 10
1954Ike
1954Ike
06/21/2005 8:35 pm
I posted a reply to learn the notes in 60 minutes, and gave you guys the solution. Problem is you all seem to be wired into bitchin bout somethin that you started a new thread on the same subject, "This site is a con, right?" before anyone read my reply.

Dam, I came in here thinking I might be able to help out a few new players. If you post something, you really should check back to see what replies you get.

You might also take a look at my reply to "Learn guitar in 30 days" while you're at it.
# 11
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/21/2005 9:17 pm
NO! I didn't get my instant download, so right off the bat I"m gonna get my money back. I didn't tell the guy yet, I sent him an e-mail a few minutes ago telling him that I didn't get the "instant" downloadable access. Now have to wait for a response...i'll just keep the guitar burning.

Myspace
# 12
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/21/2005 9:28 pm
Ok, got a response, that didn't take long. He said that paypal was suppose to redirect me to the download, but they messed up, I believe him from past experience. Now lets see what the fuss is about.

Myspace
# 13
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
musicgu7
Yo mamma is so fat...
06/21/2005 9:43 pm
That paypal thing happened to me to quite a few times...

Dont keep us in suspense.. :cool:

# 14
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/21/2005 10:06 pm
I would have to say that it does burn the image into my head. I prob wont forget the scale the way he tells you to remember it. It does get a little confusing, might have to read it over a little, but when you're done you'll notice a difference when you think about what fret you're on. If you would like more info ;) then send me a pm.

Myspace
# 15
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/21/2005 10:47 pm
Also, this won't help you to shred any better as the ad says. The only way to shred and look away is with practice as previous ppl said. Your fingers have to get a memory of what position comes next, just takes longer with shredding since your going so fast.

Myspace
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.