i just wanted to talk about bands

Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
06/08/2005 4:29 am
So i started a band .... I thought it would be so fun and easy but nobody ever has time to practice except for me (lead/rythem) guitarist and the drummer and even then i can barely get there cuz im only 15 not able to drive and usually can't get a ride its not as easy as i thought it would be anynoe whos had a band or has one now was it like this for you? share stories if you can.

thanks
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/08/2005 12:57 pm
It's always like that. One or two guys who are really into it and make the band their priority and a couple of other guys who always find excuses not to practice. If you're really serious about putting a band together you have to get rid of the slackers and audition some new guys.
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
06/08/2005 3:40 pm
Yeah, cut'em lose... tell them if they can't make the committment to just don't show up ever again. A lot of the times people like the idea of being in a band and they expect it just to happen... those type of people are just along for the ride... You won't ever get anything accomplished if you have band members like that. I know a local band that I've been close with recently had to kick their lead guitarist out because he got a night-shift job and couldn't make it to all the practices.... The guy was best friends with the lead singer and had been in the band for 2 years. That's just the way it goes. It's a business and you have to treat it like one sometimes. CUT'EM LOSE!
# 3
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
06/08/2005 10:21 pm
yea i know i've known our other guitarist since sencond grade and same with our singer but i know they arent going to be committed our guitarist is doing to many other stuff and he says he can only practice one day a week and it usually never happens then so i think all of you have the helped me i think it would be better to find the right people
thanks
"We forgot to call Dylan" "Who the F*ck is Dylan?" "oh, I mean xDylanx" " oh yea we forgot to call him"
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/08/2005 11:00 pm
You don't have to get all nasty with 'em just start another band with the best of the old band and hit the slackers with the same thing they are doing to you right now. Don't kill the band you are in now, just let it run its course !! There is nothing that says you can only be in one band at a time !!!
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/09/2005 4:51 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraActually that is a really good point. Do what doc says, he's been around for longer than me.

Ever heard of the phrase "thinking outside the box"?. There ya go.
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/09/2005 11:12 pm
Originally Posted by: kingdavidEver heard of the phrase "thinking outside the box"?. There ya go.

I prefer to think outside of the bun. That's why I eat taco bell like it's a delicacy.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 7
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
06/10/2005 2:39 am
I like taco bell did you know that taco bell and KFC made(or making) a chain of stores together i've only seen one though
# 8
kingdavid
kingdavid
06/11/2005 12:54 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI prefer to think outside of the bun. That's why I eat taco bell like it's a delicacy.

I prefer to think outside the barn. Then the cow**** don't smell as bad, and I can think clearer!:D
# 9
Renisenb
Renisenb
06/11/2005 7:08 pm
Ya'll need to start a thread in the off topic forum about fast food places/food in general. I think that it would probably be the most popular thread on the forum (that way no more spamming this thread.) I agree that Taco Bell is very yummy... I can eat a record of 2 1/2 of their big burritos... not bad for a girl eh? I think I've eaten 3 chalupas before.

Anyway back to the point... I think Doc has really got a good solution. Why didn't anyone else think of that? Doc must be a genius!
# 10
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/12/2005 2:48 am
And so it shall be... apparantly. At least in the open discussion section.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 11
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
07/16/2005 6:42 am
alright its been a while but that band is over drummer didnt want to play anymore but good news i got in with another band with some of my friends its kind of screwy but we're working it out
# 12
fretboarddragon
fretboarddragon
07/17/2005 11:07 am
See, there ya go!! I'm in a band, and we're having similar troubles. Our singer won't dedicate himself. Everything we do is by vote, and I've brought it up more than once. The bassist is related, so he doesn't want family troubles. The rhythm guitarist is nothing but an ass-kissing yes-man and does whatever the bassist does. The drummer and I want him gone, but we're out-voted. But we have plans in the works....we're working on a side project that if it develops will become our main priority. We don't want to leave this band....we're all good friends and we work together like a well-oiled machine and we have a good following that we've worked hard to build up... but like someone once said..it's nothing personal, just business.
For a quick snack, picks is good eatin'
# 13
Poontang_clan
Poontang_clan
07/18/2005 12:53 am
Originally Posted by: fretboarddragon.. but like someone once said..[U]it's nothing personal[/U], just business.

yea that band i had before like it just literally fell apart its weird we were all like great friends but our guitarist from what i think, is like not talking to me at all it sucks cuz ive known him since like 3rd grade
# 14
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
07/19/2005 11:38 pm
It blows, I can never find the (at least) 2 other members of a band... I mean I can tackle bass too but come on i think its pushing it trying to handle drums, bass, and lead guitar....lol, idk I have a friend who plays bass but hes way too lazy and just likes the prospect of having nice stuff and never using it. I have a friend who plays guitar but me and him only get along about 1/3 of the time. Kinda at a loss...I have no idea where to go from here....
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 15
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
07/23/2005 9:47 pm
Well, all I can say about this is never get in a relationship with anyone in your band. All three band I've been in that's ended me being in the band, and the most recent one the whole band broke up (which wasn't a big deal, we were just starting off).
The first band I was ever in we were tight too, great friends. But it just got to a point where we all were so busy, it was nearly impossible to meet anymore. Plus, I broke up with the drummer and that pretty much put a stop to our efforts. Its a shame though. We were together for a year, and it was maybe one or two months till out first show on New Years Eve. I'd like to think we put something good together. I miss good old Area 1 (name of the band).

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.