What home setup fdo you use?

Superhuman
Superhuman
06/04/2005 9:10 pm
Thought we could all learn from each other about our different approaches to home based recording.

I use a Tascam US428 controller into Cubase SX. I find the Tascam a great help because it has all of the faders and buttons etc meaning you don't have to point around with the mouse all the time. Cubase SX is great for recording into and arranging, it allows audio and midi so you can do just about anything with the right plug-ins.

As far as effects go, I just got a POD xt which has a realy cool array of sounds for lead but for heavy riffs, I still like my Line6 DM4 stomp box.

Anyone else?
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/05/2005 3:12 am
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=8076&s_id=71

from Revox to Avalon !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/05/2005 10:00 am
i have a fostex mr8 that i use to track with and i dump the wav files onto my computer and mix/process with a free/hacked version of cakewalk i have. really ghetto/cheap...but whatever.

what i want to get is a korg d16xd.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/05/2005 11:36 am
I have had a lot of experience with the Korg D1x00 and IMHO they (Korg) make really good kit ! Also don't forget http://www.korgstudios.com !! Im a mod there to !!
# 4
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/06/2005 8:54 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonI have had a lot of experience with the Korg D1x00 and IMHO they (Korg) make really good kit ! Also don't forget http://www.korgstudios.com !! Im a mod there to !!

i'll probably go there if and when i get the korg d16xd...i have a question that isn't really covered in any of the specs i've seen so far...i know it has metal faders...but are they touch sensative/flying faders or is the metal look just cosmetic on it...because that'd make it even more worth the money if it is flying faders.

edit: it does infact have automation.....sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
# 5
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/06/2005 10:53 am
Im pretty sure only the 32 xd has servo-controlled faders. Like the D1x00 series the 16XD will memorize scenes for automated mixing which will play through the song with out the faders moving.
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
06/06/2005 3:01 pm
I have a pretty simple setup, which consist of a PODxt, POD 2.0, Peavey Rockmaster preamp, Behringer DI box w/ cab simulation, Native Instruments Guitar Rig (worth it for th cab sims alone), a couple of real amps, Shure SM57 mic, Sonar Producer's Edition on a pc, M-Audio BX8 powered monitors (a bit overkill). I also have a Tascam 424 mkII 4-track recorder that I use for songwriting and live recordings of my band.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/07/2005 6:49 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonIm pretty sure only the 32 xd has servo-controlled faders. Like the D1x00 series the 16XD will memorize scenes for automated mixing which will play through the song with out the faders moving.

are the faders touch sensative? whenever i see metalic looking faders, i always get my hopes up that they're touch sensative...
# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/07/2005 10:23 am
Im not sure what you mean by that as if they were static they wouldn't be much use! Id pop over to korg studios and ask there !
# 9
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/07/2005 6:58 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonIm not sure what you mean by that as if they were static they wouldn't be much use! Id pop over to korg studios and ask there !

well i mean with writing automation, some faders have a small electronic pulse running through it and can sense when your fingers are on it and if you have it set up in touch-write, as soon as you touch a fader while playing back, it'll turn the fader's automation on. it's a really nifty feature and a lot easier than punching on automation then punching it off.
# 10
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/07/2005 9:53 pm
Except...the faders are not automated, the mix is !!!!

Like I said earlier on the D16XD the faders are not servo controlled. The automated mix works by playing back a sequence of scenes, just like the D1200 and the D1600. You will need to spend another grand if you want flying faders !

Go to this page and click "Automation & Navigation".

It says:
"Automation & Navigation

The mixer section of the D16XD can store 100 different mixer ā€œscenesā€ and recall them automatically during playback. The TouchView screen can display the settings of each mixer scene. Locate points ā€“ six in all ā€“ are used to define edit points and loop points. An additional 100 ā€œMarksā€ can be used to auto-locate back to any point in a song. You can even name each of the Marks to help remind you what part of your song they are pointing to. "

as opposed to the D32XD which says:

"Automation & Navigation

To accommodate 32 channels of playback using 16 faders, the D32XD employs dynamic automation to record and playback all of your fader moves. Motorized ā€œflyingā€ faders on the D32XD will replay all the fader moves as the song plays ā€“ youā€™ll actually see the faders move! The mixer sections of the D32XD can store 100 different mixer ā€œscenesā€ and recall them automatically during playback. The TouchView screen can display the settings of each mixer scene. Locate points ā€“ six in all ā€“ are used to define edit points and loop points. An additional 100 ā€œMarksā€ can be used to auto-locate back to any point in a song. You can even name each of the Marks to help remind you what part of your song they are pointing to. "
# 11
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/07/2005 10:36 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonExcept...the faders are not automated, the mix is !!!!

Like I said earlier on the D16XD the faders are not servo controlled. The automated mix works by playing back a sequence of scenes, just like the D1200 and the D1600. You will need to spend another grand if you want flying faders !

Go to this page and click "Automation & Navigation".

It says:
"Automation & Navigation

The mixer section of the D16XD can store 100 different mixer ā€œscenesā€ and recall them automatically during playback. The TouchView screen can display the settings of each mixer scene. Locate points ā€“ six in all ā€“ are used to define edit points and loop points. An additional 100 ā€œMarksā€ can be used to auto-locate back to any point in a song. You can even name each of the Marks to help remind you what part of your song they are pointing to. "

as opposed to the D32XD which says:

"Automation & Navigation

To accommodate 32 channels of playback using 16 faders, the D32XD employs dynamic automation to record and playback all of your fader moves. Motorized ā€œflyingā€ faders on the D32XD will replay all the fader moves as the song plays ā€“ youā€™ll actually see the faders move! The mixer sections of the D32XD can store 100 different mixer ā€œscenesā€ and recall them automatically during playback. The TouchView screen can display the settings of each mixer scene. Locate points ā€“ six in all ā€“ are used to define edit points and loop points. An additional 100 ā€œMarksā€ can be used to auto-locate back to any point in a song. You can even name each of the Marks to help remind you what part of your song they are pointing to. "

oh, i misread what you said before, i'm sorry. so the faders aren't flying...but they do read your movements and i guess that means you also have to punch in when you want to do automation?
# 12
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/07/2005 10:48 pm
Like the D1200 and the D1600 you take a snap shot of the faders and pan controls which the machine remembers and records as a scene. Then when mix automation activates the machine plays back a series of scenes, recreating the different positions of the faders etc. The D32XD does a similar thing only when it changes scenes the faders move.
# 13
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
06/07/2005 11:55 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonLike the D1200 and the D1600 you take a snap shot of the faders and pan controls which the machine remembers and records as a scene. Then when mix automation activates the machine plays back a series of scenes, recreating the different positions of the faders etc. The D32XD does a similar thing only when it changes scenes the faders move.

umm...so that means you can't write in a fade out or gradually moving pan timed a certain way? sounds like it'd just snap from one position to the other so to speak.
# 14
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/08/2005 12:33 am
there are ways round this. One is to use a bunch of scenes to go from A to B the other is to use the fade in / out effect or auto pan.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.