A little help for the new guy

PerfectTommy
PerfectTommy
05/03/2005 12:05 am
Right off the bat, I'm a bass player. That's right, I stand on the side grumbling about how you guys get all the attention...

With that being said, I am also a songwriter. I am interested in maybe pickup the title of rhythm guitarist on stage. I have an accoustic guitar, but I am interested in picking up an electric sometime soon. So pardon me if this has been asked, I got tired of looking in search after about 5 pages ;)

What is a good electric guitar, or atleast style so I can pick up a cheaper knock off, for rhythm? Strat or Tele? A Les Paul? Hollow/semi body or solid?

Thank you in advanced for your insight :)
# 1
PerfectTommy
PerfectTommy
05/03/2005 2:17 am
Thanks for the rather prompt reply. To answer your questions...

Cost? Something below $500 for sure. The closer to zero the better.

style? Mainly genre mixing rock. I have no plans to ever play lead, so the ability to chime in and get a tone that cuts through the band will never really be a goal. I would like something versatile enough that I can get a good reggae-esque off beat chop and still be able to get a good meaty classic rock rhythm tone. I think telling you what I don't do would be easier ;) I stay away from Emo, Metal and such. I'm more into the groove oriented musics.

intent? It will be dabbling till I feel comfortable enough with it to play in front of other people. Then, I would like to be able to play the guitar in a professional setting without getting laughed at. So FirstActs are out ;)

Thanks again :)
# 2
ake
ake
05/03/2005 5:33 am
First try this....
Buy a pick up for your acoustic. be sure it has a volume pot, some even have a tone control. Plug it into an amp at the store see what you think.
Amplified acoustics for rhythm playing works. Thru the right amp you can get
great rock tone. If you don't like it get a cheap jap strat like pony said.
Google "musicians Friend" great on line catalog. If you go to a Store like Guitar Center, don't let the salesmen ramrod you into something that you really don't need. They work on comission so thay make more money if they
sell you the high end model.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 3
PerfectTommy
PerfectTommy
05/03/2005 6:23 am
Originally Posted by: akeFirst try this....
Buy a pick up for your acoustic. be sure it has a volume pot, some even have a tone control. Plug it into an amp at the store see what you think.
Amplified acoustics for rhythm playing works. Thru the right amp you can get
great rock tone. If you don't like it get a cheap jap strat like pony said.
Google "musicians Friend" great on line catalog. If you go to a Store like Guitar Center, don't let the salesmen ramrod you into something that you really don't need. They work on comission so thay make more money if they
sell you the high end model.

Heh... My acoustic is acoustic only. It has no onbaord electronics. I would have to buy a pickup and everything... that's a lot of work and frankly I'm lazy...

I was kind of leaning Les Paul or it's knock offs. I was thinking of maybe a semi-hollow. I guess I kind of whore for the Lennon semi-hollow ;)

Thank you all for the input. I will keep checking back and I will let you know what happens. It might be awhile till I can afford a guitar. I have to buy a new bass soon, and since that's where the money is for me right now, it will have to come first. Something about playing Ryhthm really tickled me recently, not sure why.

Thanks again :)
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.