Perks of a Player

R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
04/21/2005 7:47 pm
Ok probably been done before, but I'm still relatively new here so...

Of course everybody knows playing can get you girls (and it has!), but anything else you like that comes with the territory?

I like how I can pick up hot things with my calloused fingertips (like fresh biscuits).
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 1
ake
ake
04/21/2005 7:58 pm
Some beerjoints keep pitchers full for the band gratis. And being from Houston mr. S you might even get a burrito or maybe some pesole. Here in NM depending on the place we might even get a sack of chechironies. mmmm

A lot of perks that the boys in the band get can get you arrested in some of our southern states.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 2
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
04/21/2005 8:01 pm
The biggest thing that I get off on is hearing a crowd cheer for a song I wrote......That's the best thing for me, and the girls of course.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 3
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/21/2005 8:26 pm
Yeah,applause for all the hard work you put into something is definitely the biggest perk.

But for guitar alone,I guess its being able to...solo.
Try once,fail twice...
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/21/2005 8:28 pm
Hot toast right outa the toaster. Hot cups of coffee. Hot plates out of the oven.

Going into a music store and at first getting no respect, and then you pick up a guitar and start running off some fast tapping riffs. Then you notice out of the corner of your eye that all the young guys are suddenly gathering around you. Just when you get to the good part you stop, put the guitar down and walk away.

Asking a guy at a party if you can try his guitar and he says "no, I don't let anybody touch my guitar". ... and just smirking at him. Then somebody else tells him later that you're really good on the guitar and he should let you try it. And I just say "no, I don't play other peoples guitars"

Picking up a guitar in a music store and playing Stairway to Heaven really badly and out of tune just to see what kind of looks you get from the staff.
# 5
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/21/2005 9:41 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangePicking up a guitar in a music store and playing Stairway to Heaven really badly and out of tune just to see what kind of looks you get from the staff.

You don't have to be a guitar player to enjoy that...you will if you want to redeem yourself though.
Try once,fail twice...
# 6
crazywolf
Samson
crazywolf
Samson
04/22/2005 3:13 am
I think the greatest perk is taking out all the crap that happens, your anger for the day/week ect., taking your sorrow, and joy....and puting it all into that piece of wood with strings.
All else looses its improtance, and the music comming from that guitar is all that matters.
1 Peter 2:16
# 7
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
04/22/2005 4:39 am
Originally Posted by: schmangePicking up a guitar in a music store and playing Stairway to Heaven really badly and out of tune just to see what kind of looks you get from the staff.

I seem to remember a while back you posting a song called "stairway to nowhere" (or something to that effect).. I couldn't find the post or the link. I remember it was very awesome though. :p
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 8
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
04/22/2005 5:54 am
...becoming much quicker at masturbation.
# 9
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/24/2005 9:36 pm
Originally Posted by: LeedoggI seem to remember a while back you posting a song called "stairway to nowhere" (or something to that effect).. I couldn't find the post or the link. I remember it was very awesome though. :p

Stairway to Crap. Guaranteed to get attention at any music store.
http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/mp3/StairwaytoCrap.mp3
...make real serious guitar faces while you're playing it, then look up and go "What??"
# 10
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
04/25/2005 3:57 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeStairway to Crap. Guaranteed to get attention at any music store.
...make real serious guitar faces while you're playing it, then look up and go "What??"

That raises question. Is it still copyright violation if you take a song and completely bastardize the tuning? It'll sound different, different notes, different everything. It'll just be the same frets. How far would one get with that?

Oh, and regarding the thread topic. I'd say that when a certain lick and/or trick clicks and you get it down just right telling you that all your efforts have paid off because now you can do something else. On top of that, I'd have to say that it's always memorable when you try to show your friends that "click" only to be caught in a rut and just can't seem to make it sound like it did before thus making you look like the fool and showing you how much road you've yet to travel.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 11
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
04/25/2005 4:43 pm
NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN!

like crazywolf said, the biggest perk is expressing all the lows of life out on your guitar
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/25/2005 4:47 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsThat raises question. Is it still copyright violation if you take a song and completely bastardize the tuning? It'll sound different, different notes, different everything. It'll just be the same frets. How far would one get with that?

There's a certain amount of 'fair usage' allowed and you'll hear 'close' copies of tunes all the time, especially in things like commercials or comedy movies.
There's also a bit of a grey area where it comes to parodies.

There's too many factors involved to say for sure without it actually going to court. It depends on the owner of the copyright and whether they want to spend a couple of years in litigation paying for lawyers. It depends on who violated the copyright and whether it's considered a parody and how much of it is copied. It also depends on whether the person violating the copyright actually makes any money off it..do they just owe licensing fees for use of the song or royalties. It depends on who actually owns the original song.. ie, publisher 50%, Lyrics 25%, melody 25%. That means that several people would have to be involved in the lawsuit...all very expensive.

In the example of the one I just posted, even though it evokes the essence of the original it uses all new chords. It's a definite parody. I'm not making any money off it or falsely trying to claim the tune as my own. It's an advertisement for the original tune rather than a rip off.
Basically, if the publisher or original author objected to it, their first step would be to reach me and request it's removal, which I'd do at once. Not just because of the legal issues but because it's the right thing to do.
Even if one person objected to it, I'd remove it no problem.

If I wanted to be a total dick though, and leave it up there I could take the risk of fighting it in court and it'd be up to a judge to decide what the damages are.
Considering that no money is involved and there aren't really any damages, the most that would probably happen if I was found guilty of copyright infringement would be an order to pay the royalties for use of the tune.
Either that or it'd settle out of court for a small sum of money.

The most likely thing to happen is absolutely nothing. The original author isn't going to want to spend the next 2 years of their life paying lawyers and putting a case together, taking time to go to court and fighting the case against a non U.S. citizen.. all for a small bit of money. The most important thing to the original author should be that they don't want their tune copied and as long as it's removed at their request..no problem. And if anybody wants it removed, click.. it's gone.
# 13
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/25/2005 6:39 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic Excretions
Originally Posted by: schmangeStairway to Crap. Guaranteed to get attention at any music store.

That raises question. Is it still copyright violation if you take a song and completely bastardize the tuning? It'll sound different, different notes, different everything. It'll just be the same frets. How far would one get with that?

Well, Zeppelin got away with it...

*Link requires iTunes.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
ScottMoney
ScottMoney
04/25/2005 9:37 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeThere's a certain amount of 'fair usage' allowed and you'll hear 'close' copies of tunes all the time, especially in things like commercials or comedy movies.
There's also a bit of a grey area where it comes to parodies.

Someone should sue nickleback for making "someday". Anyone who's heard the way you remind me of someday knows exactly what i'm talking about. different freakin vocals played over the exact same instrumental tracks. not to mention, it actually did pretty well. they fit in well with the artists of today's music industry
# 15
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
04/26/2005 10:45 pm
woah, i just realized your right, wat a bunch of losers
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 16
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/26/2005 11:20 pm
eh,they made thier money.
Try once,fail twice...
# 17
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/27/2005 1:41 am
Originally Posted by: ScottMoneySomeone should sue nickleback for making "someday". Anyone who's heard the way you remind me of someday knows exactly what i'm talking about. different freakin vocals played over the exact same instrumental tracks. not to mention, it actually did pretty well. they fit in well with the artists of today's music industry

eh, not quite:
Someday: http://www.guitartabs.cc/fetchfile.php?fileid=9178294
How you remind me: http://www.guitartabs.cc/fetchfile.php?fileid=10887655
now, I haven't actually checked those to be sure they are accurate. but one got rated a 10 out of 10, so it's probably pretty accurate. the other was not rated
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 18
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
04/27/2005 1:57 am
alternately
sometime: http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=song,11320
how you remind me: http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=song,562

*note* requires powertabs
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.