Getting Over Nervousness

Fender Man
Fender Man
04/11/2001 4:34 pm
Nervousness, is a real problem of mine. When ever play in front of people my heart starts beating really fast, and my fingers get stiff. But nevertheless, I somehow I always pull it off. But after I almost have a heart attack. I played the lead on Red house by Jimi Hendrix at a Church Variety Show. And for you people who know the song, you know it's pretty tough. But it was like 200 people and I was so scared. When I came off solo, my fingers were sweating and it was just bad, but I somehow toughed it out, and it was successfull. Its really hard for me to play in front of people, Is there any tips you people can give me?
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 1
StratMan1125
StratMan1125
04/11/2001 5:26 pm
Congrats on pulling it off. You seem to be doing great. I get nervous playing in front of the guy I take lessons from. He can tell to. He gave me big pointer. Breathe. I didnt notice but I wasn't breathing at all while I played and I was nervous as hell. He called me on it and I concentrate on it while I'm playing it helps me some. I dont 'seem' as nervous now. My situation is nothing like yours but I hope maybe it'll help ya out some.
Practice, practice, practice...
# 2
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/11/2001 6:21 pm
maybe that's my problem, I'm so worried about playing I don't breathe. Thanks.
-Jimi Hendrix
# 3
Joseph
Joseph
04/12/2001 5:26 am
I don't think we ever get rid of those butterflys in our stomach, its part of the whole experience. As the years go by we just have to learn how to control our nervous stomach, and to feel our way through what seems like a disasterous situation. Hey, but that Hendrix solo is a real killer, congrats on pulling it off. Sometimes it helps to move around on stage, it kind of gets your mnd going, where you aren't putting way too much pressure on yourself. Its impossible to play a whole show without making a few small mistakes here and there, but whats most important is lesrning how to work around these mistakes....

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 4
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
04/12/2001 6:59 am
Yeah man, your nerves can be a tough thing to handle. Whenever i play in front of a huge crowd (like 150+ like 3 times a year at my old highschool's band concerts) i do try to move around the stage a lot so i doesn't look like i'm nervously anchored to the floor or just look at the people in the crowd. And if they are feeling what i'm playing i'm less nervous. The last concert i played in which was like a month and a half ago, i wasn't the least bit nervous. I went home so proud, i was like telling myself that this is what i'm supposed to be doing and why i've been put here on earth.

I know that feeling Fender, when you're playing and you can't feel your hands, your heart beating outta your chest, every note is tense and hands are tight and you get the feeling that your gonna fret a note so hard that you'll snap the neck lol, or a really big bend that almost makes your knees buckle and you fall down. The more you play in front of others the nervousness will go away. I also give myself a peptalk before playing, lol. It works!!
"Take my hand boss"
# 5
dramsay
dramsay
04/12/2001 7:40 pm
Hello, I'm new in this forum thing so am not quite sure what to say. I have only been playing for about two years and can play many songs when i'm alone. However when I am around other people i get so nervous that i almost colapse. I had to play a couple of easy songs in front of maybe 12 people when the above happened. I was only playing a couple of easy songs too. ie, "Open the Eyes of My Heart", and the Papia song. they are praise songs. it was crazy.
# 6
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/12/2001 9:09 pm
I know how it is
-Jimi Hendrix
# 7
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/12/2001 10:12 pm
I used to get nervous playing infront of even 1 or 2 people. My trick was to close my eyes or look at the guitar(or both) which helps your breathing. Act like there is noone there perhaps add in a Quo waggle or Shadows Shuffle or even a Snake Charmer for showvoting. It works Im tellin ye
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/14/2001 9:29 pm
Well, nerves aren't a big issue for me. I get worried about weather or not people will show up, and it takes me a few songs to loosen up, but generally it doesn't get in my way. I think it has a lot to do with 11 years of Tae Kwon Do. I think anything that forces you to go out in front of people and do something, be it speak, play guitar, pick your nose, whatever. Anything that puts you on the spot will help. And the more you do it, the less nerves become an issue.

I also think that going out there even though your nerves are killing you is a big credit to yourself- I know lots of people who just can't get over that, and you are doing it. That's a big step, probably the hardest one to make.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
PeptoB
PeptoB
04/15/2001 2:07 am
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
I think anything that forces you to go out in front of people and do something, be it speak, play guitar, pick your nose, whatever. Anything that puts you on the spot will help. And the more you do it, the less nerves become an issue.

I totally agree with Rask in saying that being used to standing infront of a large crowd helps. I'm really shy when it comes to public speaking and all but my involvement with stage-acting infront of 2-300 people for the past three years has helped me incredibly for playing the guitar in public. And now rather than being scared, I get excited to get on the stage and perform cause I believe I've got something to tell the audience thru my performance.
# 10
zepo
zepo
04/15/2001 6:52 pm
I have a different problem than all of you guys, I cannot play in front of anybody in my family but when it's total strangers I'm fine.Any solutions for this???
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 11
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
04/15/2001 10:00 pm
Do big long intros and ll to warm up then whe your ready perform.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 12
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
04/15/2001 10:56 pm
Originally posted by zepo
I have a different problem than all of you guys, I cannot play in front of anybody in my family but when it's total strangers I'm fine.Any solutions for this???

*Yup, find a good shrink and explain to him/her that you have supressed feelings for your folx (This will cover your ass for future litigation :D ) and then go steal dad's car, do a few donutz in the front yard, and then jump on the hood and do a five minute guitar solo (make sure ya got a fresh battery in the wireless :D ) loud enuff to get the nieghbors involved.....When EVERYBODY is outside, surrounding the car, trying to throw a burlap bag on your axe, shout/sing the first verse from Cheech/Chong's "Up in Smoke !" ......"My momma and my poppa try to tell me how to live...." ...Things should be OK after that..... V :)
*Turn the bastard up and see what happenz.... :D
# 13
zepo
zepo
04/15/2001 11:36 pm
I already tried that they got my basketball coach to kick me off the team for "wearing high heel sneakers and acting like a queen" C&C up in smoke
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 14
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
04/16/2001 2:10 am
I feel the same way when playing or singing in front of my family. I'm no phsycologist or therapist, but i see it as being this (well atleast with me): With your family if you play something they don't like or if they don't recieve what your playing well, you got that anxiety in the back of your mind that they can always tease you or mess with you about that, but with a perfect stranger you only gotta to see them like once and if you mess up or they don't like what you play or sing, so what!! you ain't got them around to keep berating you or bringing it up. I dunno, but i kinda see it like that with myself.
"Take my hand boss"
# 15
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
04/16/2001 4:24 pm
Originally posted by zepo
I already tried that they got my basketball coach to kick me off the team for "wearing high heel sneakers and acting like a queen" C&C up in smoke

*LMFAO !!!! :D:D
*Turn the bastard up and see what happenz.... :D
# 16
Joseph
Joseph
04/17/2001 2:24 am
I mean when you're in the company of others, it can get really frustrating when you're in the mood to play some of your favorite blues solos, but instead you feel prone to take requests. When your heart isn't into certain pieces you're bound to goof up here and there. Musc deals with emotions, despite what a lot of people think, it can be rather relaxing on stage when you can play whatever you wan't at your own leisure.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 17
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/18/2001 1:12 am
I know I hate it when people try to tell you what to play. I know how you feel, I'll be with friends in the mood for blues, and they'll want to play Death Metal.
-Jimi Hendrix
# 18
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
04/18/2001 7:51 pm
My last performance was at a school concert, with about 30-40 people around...
i was ****in nervous , but somehow i improvised and it was quite ok by the end...
being nervous is not something u can avoid, but after some time you learn how to play even if you are nervous
a good advice is to bring your part to automatic like play
when you dont have to concentare on what u are playing...

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 19
Joseph
Joseph
04/20/2001 1:56 am
If we didn't get those butterflys in our stomach before showtime, then that means that something is missing, because sometimes we need that extra bit of anxiety to perform at our best. Its just important to learn how to control our nerves, and its safe to say that we all have our methods. Some of us get totally wasted before shows, or just create alittle buzz, but alcohol has never really been a part of my plan, (perhaps after the show,) but when I'm on stage I need my faculties. Personlly, I always just tried keep a good conversation going before the show, it helps keep your mind string, and your confidence at a high level. So once you get out on stage, it can be the most natural experience.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.