Getting Over Nervousness

gnugod
gnugod
04/28/2001 9:34 pm
if your not nervous even a little your dead ,but what seems to work for me is close my eyes an focus on my music then it seems to just flow after the first song
gary
# 1
Joseph
Joseph
04/29/2001 2:27 am
Its great to able to keep your focus on a certain object, or a particular person in the audience (like someone I know), because it can be rather overwhelming at times when we're staring directly into a huge crowd. The only downfall with staring intently into someones eyes during the show is that that person is most likely to trample you after the show, (because of a strong connection that was felt.) For me I just move around like theres no tomorrow, it keeps my blood pumping, anbd it keeps my mind busy..

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 2
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
05/01/2001 11:36 am
Well ive only been playing for 4months, so ive only played infront of like 5 mates at the most, but i think its the same. I used to get nervous and sweat like hell!! But just remember, any mistakes are just artistic licence and your mates prolly cant play guitar!!
But the main way i personally dont get nervous is because i feel proud to be playing a slash solo and doing it justice. ( i play mainly guns n roses stuff) I think about ex girlfriends and why i learnt the guitar tunes in the first place, for sweet child o mine especially, the intro is me n this girl vicky meeting, the bridge parts are the good times, the solo (non wah part) is our argument, and the wah bit is the break up!!

Later Axl
# 3
sleek102
sleek102
05/02/2001 8:47 am
A few weeks ago my band and I played infront of our school...I'm the lead guitarist and we were playing 'Sweet Child O' Mine' by Guns 'N" Roses. Anyways I was nervous as hell before we got going and I was really worried about stuffing it up..Specially on the solos..Well I actually played really well and about a 1/4 way through the song my nerves had gone and I just closed my eyes and played from my heart..And thats what it's all about i guess.
# 4
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
05/02/2001 9:32 am
It's good to hear you're not the only one.
Our last drummer was so nervous, all the shows we must cancel. I.m still not ready he said, now there's another drummer and it's great doing a show, everyone is nervous, although some say there not but they reacting differently then normal. Everyone has it's own way to cope with it. One is agitated, the other very quiet.
Make a good setlist, don't play the hardest parts in the beginning.
We start the show with a very easy song, lets say 2 chords and introduce ourself. You can play anything you want to get it warm. Don't forget a good warm up before going on stage and focus on the instrument.
Important as band is to relie on eachother. When someone didn't do his homework your own efforts will not be heared.
By the way only musicians look and listen very critical.
In the public most people can't play any instrument. When the sound is good and the song is good they find it great.
Oh did something go wrong, I didn't hear it they say.
It's good to realize this. With all the preparations for a show I know I can play it all, I want to play it also alive but when the sound is good and people liked it it's allright with me if I made some mistakes.
Before playing my heart beats like hell, so let it beat, it's worse when it don't, take a deep breath , sigh and sing. I like singing but only with my guitar in my hands. I never sing when someone asks me.
Every show you learn from it. The day before is my worst day, then I think, suppose I forget it all??? My lyrics, the solo positions, the changes, the ending, the mistakes i'm going to make etc.... I drink a bottle of wine, see it all in a relative way and try to enjoy the exitement of it all. That's where you do it for.

After all there comes a day that it's all perfect. Everybody has a good day and inspiration and the music is excellent.... but.......the public didn't heared it.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.