PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
03/21/2005 5:53 pm

PODxt with FBV shortboard
Price new: $300 & $270 for shortboard

About the item:

The PODxt is a digital modeling unit that models guitar amplifiers, guitar cabinets, and effects. Stock it has 36 amp models, 24 cabinet models, 4 mic models, and 50 effects. With the addition of “Model Packs” you can add 36 more amps, and 30 more effects. You can purchase all 3 packs for $100 or so. I bought mine used and it already had the metal pack installed so I haven’t purchased any of the other packs. The PODxt can be used in several different way’s. It can be connected straight to your recording set up, if using a computer it can be connected via USB, it can be plugged into the front end of a guitar amp, or in the loop to bypass the amps preamp, it can basically be plugged into anything that makes sound. The addition of the Floorboard controller gives you access to wah, volume, turning effects on/off, switching presets, changing banks, accessing tuner, tap tempo, and volume boost.

Pro’s:

-Great tone for almost any application.
-Many options to tweak to dial your sound in just right
-Can be used live or in the studio
-Records very well
-Sounds like a real mic’ed amp
-Ability to expand with upgrades and Model Packs
-Editable via Line6 Edit or GuitarPort edit on your computer
-Small / can fit on a desktop with ought taking up much space
-Fairly easy to learn

Con’s:

-Takes forever to set up the tone you’re looking for
-A lot of the amp models aren’t true to the amp they are modeling
-High end “fizz” is very prominent with certain combinations of amp’s and cab’s
-not enough mic models and options
-need’s more/different output modes

Review:

I mainly use my PODxt for recording now, but I have also used it in several different way’s. I have used it in the effects loop of a Peavey Classic 50 and a Triple XXX i/e: guitar-àPODxt-àamps fx return. It works very well for this type set up. You have to select either 2x12 or 4x12 for the output mode, and normally it will sound better with the cab sims turned off since you are already going through a real cab. But, some do sound good with the cab sims on. I have also used it for the effects only in the mentioned amps. Doing this the guitar is plugged straight into the amp and the PODxt’s output is plugged into the amps fx loop’s return the amps fx loop send is plugged into the PODxt’s input, and all amps and cab’s are set to bypass. The biggest thing you have to remember with the xt is to not pay close attention to the amp names, and just use your ears. There are a lot of great tones hidden in this thing, but you have to search for them.

Summary:

I would suggest the xt for anybody who’s into home recording and doesn’t have all the equipment or amps to have a good mic’d amp sound, or the place to turn a real amp up loud enough to get a good signal. I find that the xt suit’s my needs perfect. Another thing to remember, when test driving one, don’t pay attention to any of the factory presets, because none of them really let the xt shine. It takes time and effort, but the end tone will definitely be worth it.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
SG Supreme
SG Supreme
04/04/2005 6:25 pm
Good write up on this item.
I have the PODxt as well and it's great for it's use, but it doesn't take the place of an actual amp though. Finding that right sound you like takes alot of time and hunting / experimenting on the PODxt. I found it to be a rather mega time sponge in that regard. I agree as it's more of an item to have on your PC for recording your own music. GuitarPort Rifftracker works excellent with this item and I highly recommend it.
It's worth it's price in admission and a great buy.
For those who don't have an amp or noise in the household is an issue, you can always play through a quality set of headphones.

Pickin' and Grinnin'

# 2
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
12/24/2005 11:14 pm
Recently purchased a used one myself, and am very impressed as well. The controls are easy to learn, but as mentioned there are a lot of them so it takes time to tweak it right. One thing definitely worthy of mention is with the USB connected you can directly download artist/song/genre specific patches to the unit, edit, and move on the computer screen without scrolling around on the unit's LCD, and then save changes on the unit itself. True, not all these custom community patches are worthy, but there are some gems that will save yourself some time (and you can preview them with guitar connected without saving them)...I found good "Little Wing", "Sultans of Swing-lead", and "Mouth for War" patches to get me started.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/25/2005 3:18 pm
I've found that you either love the PODxt or you hate it... I'm one of those that hates it. I'm a bit of a tone junky and to my ear POD gear just doesn't sound like the real thing... kind of like it skims the surface and gets a rough approximation but leaves all of the good stuff behind.

That said, I take your point and agree, it is a good piece of gear for home recording but it can be very difficult to get close to your ideal tone... you will get close or maybe even create something that sounds good but in my experience I only found it usefull for clean sounds. Then again, I have a specific tone requirement... it all depends on the sound you are looking for.

One other pet hate I have about it is... it won't work via USB on PC's with the latest chip sets (static noise and white noise bursts make it impossible tp record or play anything). I emailed Line6 about this and they replied saying it was a known problem with the PODxt. Their advice was to get an outboard soundcard and plug up via 1/4 inch cables... not good enough considering it is advertised as a USB compliant piece of hardware.

I'm not trying to diss the thread, just wanted to add an opinion from a POD hater to balance things out a bit!!! As I said, you either love it or hate it, I'm probably in the minority but I can't stand the PODxt!!!!

:-)
# 4
TommyBoyFury
TommyBoyFury
10/27/2010 1:12 pm
I just want to say that after trailing the line6 forums for a solution to the god awful deafening unpredictable bursts of white noise static problem, on my pod xp pro via USB, the moderators themselfs seem to be trolling the forums saying that one can solve this buy purchasing a pci usb2.0 card, and then posting fake replies saying that this has worked. That is my suspicion since i purchased a Belkin PCI usb card and i STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM.
Useless! But to shed light on the issue since the bursts cause the pod to display "clip" warning, it seems that its the pc hardware thats sending the faulty data, not the pod to the speakers. Sitll they need to remove the USB support from the pod if its going to cause hearing damage.
# 5
Chayakorn
Chayakorn
12/08/2011 11:23 am
Line 6 POD X series are my favorite multi effects.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.