-active eq' on gain channels
-fx loop can be bypassed and can be used as a volume boost

Con's:
-needs a tube change to sound it's best
-presance and resonance controls would be nice
-too much gain
-clean channel can be a little gritty at times
-stock tubes sound really bad

This is a 2004 Peavey Triple XXX head. It is 120 watt's with 6L6 power tubes. Stock this amp has way too much gain! But by swaping out the preamp tubes, you can tame this beast into a very versatile amp. Right now my amp has the stock 6L6 power tubes which are ok, but they will soon be replaced with some JJ EL34's. Oh, and the faceplate is not stock! I made that here at work. I use this amp for styles ranging from classic rock, to Van Halen, to Black Label Society, and it does all this very well. It defanately takes time to get it set right, but has almost any tone you want hidden in it somewhere.

Here are some specs:
-120 tube watt's
-switchable bias control and sweep knob for either 6L6 or EL34 power tubes
-3 channels with independant eq controls (passive for clean channel and active for gain channels)
-master volume
-parrallel effects loop that can act as a volume boost when not being used for effects
-Damping switch for loose, mid, and tight resonance settings
-switchable 16, 8, & 4 ohm output
-2 speaker outs
-line out
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
03/24/2005 7:07 pm
Just changed all the tubes out and thought I'd give a tone update. Previously it had the stock 6L6 power tubes, a JJ ECC83 (12AX7) in V1, V3, and V4/PI(balanced), and a JJ ECC832 (12DW7) in V2. This had a pretty good sound, but the distortion and bottom end were a little loose. Not muddy, just not as tight as I would like.

Now I've got some Ruby EL34BSTR power tubes, a JJ ECC803 in V1, a JAN GE 5751 in V2, and 9th Generation Shuguang 12AX7C's in V3 and V4/PI(balanced). This is a pretty awsome tube arrangement. The clean channel is real fat and punchy, though not very clean at all, it sounds really cool. The crunch channel has a good modded Marshall type tone, but more versatile. The ultra channel has characteristics of the crunch channel, but leans in the more moddern tone a la the popular metal tones of today. Both channel's also have better note defanition than before.

Overall I am very pleased with this set up. For anyone who has one of these amps, I strongly suggest trying it out with EL34's instead of 6L6's. I kind of thought I might loose a little bottom end and a little sparkle with EL34's, but the Ruby's I got still have some thunderous low's and some sparkling highs. They're supposed to be a little hotter than normal EL34's, and I believe it... very punchy and in your face.

I got them from Doug at Doug's Tubes . It was a pleasure doing business with him, and I highly recommend him or Bob at Eurotubes for all your tube needs.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.