View post (Peavey Triple XXX Head)

View thread

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
03/24/2005 7:07 pm
Just changed all the tubes out and thought I'd give a tone update. Previously it had the stock 6L6 power tubes, a JJ ECC83 (12AX7) in V1, V3, and V4/PI(balanced), and a JJ ECC832 (12DW7) in V2. This had a pretty good sound, but the distortion and bottom end were a little loose. Not muddy, just not as tight as I would like.

Now I've got some Ruby EL34BSTR power tubes, a JJ ECC803 in V1, a JAN GE 5751 in V2, and 9th Generation Shuguang 12AX7C's in V3 and V4/PI(balanced). This is a pretty awsome tube arrangement. The clean channel is real fat and punchy, though not very clean at all, it sounds really cool. The crunch channel has a good modded Marshall type tone, but more versatile. The ultra channel has characteristics of the crunch channel, but leans in the more moddern tone a la the popular metal tones of today. Both channel's also have better note defanition than before.

Overall I am very pleased with this set up. For anyone who has one of these amps, I strongly suggest trying it out with EL34's instead of 6L6's. I kind of thought I might loose a little bottom end and a little sparkle with EL34's, but the Ruby's I got still have some thunderous low's and some sparkling highs. They're supposed to be a little hotter than normal EL34's, and I believe it... very punchy and in your face.

I got them from Doug at Doug's Tubes . It was a pleasure doing business with him, and I highly recommend him or Bob at Eurotubes for all your tube needs.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<