Jimi Hendrix Tribute

Fender Man
Fender Man
03/27/2001 2:32 am
I just want to take a moment to pay tribute to one of my heros. Feel free to add anything. Andy Aledort said, "Jimi Hendrix-he's the guy that took a plain old Fender Stratocaster and turned it into a sonic surfboard, a ferocious assault weapon, an instrument of unparalleled beauty, a rocketship chartered on a jouney beyond the unknown. With burning intensity and boundless creativity, Hendrix gathered a vast spectrum of guitar styles-- blues, jazz R&B, soul and rock 'n' roll--and twisted them together to create a sound and style that was truly revolutionary. In rock guitar, there are but two eras--Before Hendrix and after Hendrix. When Jimi came along, he knocked the music world completely out of its orbit and forever rewrote the book on both guitar and contempory music. He remains, without quesstion, one of the most influetial musicians that has ever lived." Personally. I think that says a lot. In another book Aledort also said, "Jimi Hendrix is by all estimations the ultimate guitar hero. He was a true innovator of legendary proportion, a multi-faceted artist who prodigious contribution forever changed the face of modern music." Hendrix (and my dad)was the reason I wanted to play guitar. When I heard Voodoo Chile (slight return) it was amazing. But I think I've said enough, I'll let you people say something.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
03/27/2001 9:55 am
You can truly see how great the influence of Hendrix was by seeing what other great musicians say about him, here's something form the Man, Bob Dylan:

"Jimi was a great artist. I wish he would've lived but he got sucked under and that's been the downfall of a lot of us. I feel he had his time and his place a he paid a price he didn't have to pay. It's not a wonder to me that he recorded my songs but rather that he recorded so few of them because they were all his."
"I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way. Funny though, his way of doing it and my way of doing it weren't that dissimilar, I mean the meaning of the song doesn't change like
when some artists do other artists' songs. Strange though how when I sing it I always feel like it's a tribute to him in some kind of way. He did a lot of my other songs too from that period...Drifter's Escape, Like a Rolling Stone, Crawl Out Your Window, some others I don't remember. He would have done Masters of War exactly the way I do it now. "

"First time I saw him, he was playing with John Hammond. He was incredible then. I'd already been to England and beyond, and although he didn't sing, I kinda had a feeling that he figured into things. "
I know all that is long, and that was cutting out a lot, but it sure says something to me.
He was really only famous for about four years, and in that period he was growing, so that you see his later stuff was getting really advanced. Imagine what he could've done had he lived.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
03/27/2001 10:26 pm
it's nice to see people who feel the same way i do about Hendrix. He is the ultimate guitarist. No one is better than him. Alice Cooper once said that "no one is even in the same building as hendrix." i don't want to just repeat what you uguys have already said, but enough can't be said about him. while, he wasn't the person that made me pick up the guitar, he is the one that inspired me to keep goin, to be the best that i can. i saw him on the Woodstock documentary and i can say that i have never seen anything that spectacular in my life, and his Star Spangeled is the greatest display of guitar work and talent ever. it is a shame that he died young, but the fact that he did so much is such a short period of time enhances the fact that he is so great. he is god

To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 3
Fender Man
Fender Man
03/28/2001 9:51 pm
Hendrix was the MAN. I've got his Woodstock and Isle of Wight video. Amazing videos. Me and my dad were watching Red House on the Woodstock video, and in the middle of the solo he broke the High E string. But he kept of playing without missing a lick. And as Zepp_rules said he did so much in a such a short time. If only he had a little longer, Because In late '69 and '70 he was experimenting and making such great music. With Gypsy Sun and Rainbow (Woodstock Band), Band of Gypsys (Billy Cox and Buddy Miles) and Isle of Wight (Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox). He was such an awesome guitarist. Before him, there wasn't anyone playing guitar like him, with such passionate solos. And Ozzy said one time, he saw him in concer one time in '67 and everyone was running around in suits and bow ties. But, then, came Jimi on the stage looking like a gypsy. So original, not caring what people thought of him or his music.
-Jimi Hendrix
# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
03/29/2001 6:53 pm
I liked the way he covered songs and made them his own like All Along The Watchtower(Bob Dylan) he changed everything but the words for that, Johnny B. Goode(Chuck Berry), House Of The Rising Sun(Animals) and even Sgt peppers lonely Hearts Club Band(Beatles) and more I cant remember. Thats what music is about creation. You see popstars these days, like Madonnas cover of American Pie which is just a straight copy except theres 5 minutes missing. Its all about money now.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 5
Fender Man
Fender Man
04/02/2001 7:54 pm
yeah, Hendrix redid Hey Joe. But not many people know that.
-Jimi Hendrix
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.