View post (Jimi Hendrix Tribute)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
03/27/2001 9:55 am
You can truly see how great the influence of Hendrix was by seeing what other great musicians say about him, here's something form the Man, Bob Dylan:

"Jimi was a great artist. I wish he would've lived but he got sucked under and that's been the downfall of a lot of us. I feel he had his time and his place a he paid a price he didn't have to pay. It's not a wonder to me that he recorded my songs but rather that he recorded so few of them because they were all his."
"I liked Jimi Hendrix's record of this and ever since he died I've been doing it that way. Funny though, his way of doing it and my way of doing it weren't that dissimilar, I mean the meaning of the song doesn't change like
when some artists do other artists' songs. Strange though how when I sing it I always feel like it's a tribute to him in some kind of way. He did a lot of my other songs too from that period...Drifter's Escape, Like a Rolling Stone, Crawl Out Your Window, some others I don't remember. He would have done Masters of War exactly the way I do it now. "

"First time I saw him, he was playing with John Hammond. He was incredible then. I'd already been to England and beyond, and although he didn't sing, I kinda had a feeling that he figured into things. "
I know all that is long, and that was cutting out a lot, but it sure says something to me.
He was really only famous for about four years, and in that period he was growing, so that you see his later stuff was getting really advanced. Imagine what he could've done had he lived.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".