hey everyone
i have been looking for a guitar for a while and
i have my eye on a couple of guitars
fender 72 tele thinline or a standard
fender strat (mexico or a highway one)
or something heavier
gibson les paul studio
ibanez RG1570 (RG SERIES Prestige)
ibanez (SA160 SA SERIES or GSA60 GSA SERIES very similar)

ok now here is the probelms i am haven
the RG prestige has the strings locked i really dont wana tune it with the floyd rose
i like the old fashion way can i just take off the locks?
k gibson to expensive
fender when it gets down to shredding i dont see them matching a ibanez of gibson like the heavier stuff
they are great for blues and rock not like heavy metal stuff
so i need a suggestion maybe another guitar name
any suggestions
please help my eupiphone is slowly dieing peice by peice
and i need to get a new guitar in the next couple months
so please any suggestion would be amazing ;)
thanks in advanced
(P.S the ibanez prestige is a lil pricey i am look at 400-600 i could maybe push my luck up to 800 but then i would be completely broke hehe so please help hehe)
When it comes down to it, our guitar's will always be there for us. :rolleyes:
# 1
Kutzki
Kutzki
01/13/2005 2:28 pm
o ya i forgot i am canadian haha so that money amount is in my dollar so its alot less in everyone elses currency hehe
ok rock on guys
# 2
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
01/13/2005 2:38 pm
if your into shredding an metal the tele is not the way to go!! really good guitars but just not made for it, especially cos its a thinline your lookin at the tone will just not be right. your best goin down to a music shop an actually playin them. if i were you i would look into gettin a second hand ibanez. you can get some really good bargains second hand and they are no worse than gettin somethin brand new (unless some one has actually used it as an axe). any way thats wot i suggest. cos all of the LP studio's i have played althouugh sounded nice didn't seem to have the greatest necks on them, this could just be cos i didn't play any decent ones though
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 3
Kutzki
Kutzki
01/13/2005 2:58 pm
thanks jimmi i hear that.
but i have gon into the shops and played the tele thinline and it has great sound for blues which is my priority i just like gettin down and nasty sometimes
like i dont see myself tappin on a tele haha thats all but i will take the advice and still look into the ibanez's cus they are just great guitars i may needa just get one of there standerd AXEs cus i need somethin heavy like physically
k thanks jimmi
anyone else? hehe maybe a diffrent brand of guitars
cus i mean it can just be gibson for rock ibanez for shreddin and strats and tele for blues
there has to be a middle ground no?
k later guys
# 4
Kutzki
Kutzki
01/13/2005 3:09 pm
i forgot one thing
i really want a set neck i dont wana deal with the trembola bar hehe and if i get one with it i will havta learn to use it
cus its there
haha ok
rock on guys i will be back later cus i probably forgot somethen else :p
# 5
Kutzki
Kutzki
01/13/2005 3:10 pm
i new this was goin to happen
i ment set brigde! you may have been pretty confused there hehe
.......man i am tierd :o
# 6
crazyguy
crazyguy
01/15/2005 7:40 pm
Here's a thought. A Strat with 22 frets and a bridge humbucker. Just screw in the tremolo springs all the way in. I did it on my RG140 with great results, as well as on a Strat copy and a Sambora Strat (made the trem obsolete, but it's crappy anyhow, also 21 fret). A Strat with added balls.
Impendance is fruitfull
while the buttons are circled.:eek:
# 7
songsmith1950
songsmith1950
01/15/2005 10:16 pm
I recently bought a Schecter C1-XXX for about 480 at giuitar center. Set neck, coil tapping, and Duncan Designed humbuckers. At first I thought the pickups were too weak but since then have found them to be incredible if you use them as strat/tele pickups or as P90's.

This is the most awesome blues guitar I have owned in 35 years of playing.

Through my Vox Tonelab I can get most any sound I want from it and all in great quality.

songsmith
# 8
werkinclashero
werkinclashero
01/16/2005 2:19 am
You should check out an ESP , Ive only played one once but I loved the sound of it. I know the emg-81 pickups scream.
# 9
Kutzki
Kutzki
01/16/2005 5:15 am
hey guys thanks i checked out the schecter guitars i have never played on them cus the store nearest me didnt have any but i will look into it
its sounds like its in my price range and i hope it can take the abuse, putting the blues aside, hehe
i have played a couple ESP and found them to feel to much like a toy
i need a real mean two humbucker ya know what i am sayin but i looked at some ESP the next time i went to long and Mac and found them refreshing but not my style
like them they just ant me
thanks a bunch for the advice
if you guys got anymore its welcome
o ya and about the fender thing i dont think its worth buying they are made to have the springs loose and the tremba bar to be used but thanks also for that tip dude
ok guys rock on
# 10
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/16/2005 8:08 am
The price may not be right but check out http://zacharyguitars.com/ ...pretty unique guitars and not bad pricing conidering they are handmade.Watch the video of him just abusing the non-locking wilkinson trem..stays in perfect tune!
Try once,fail twice...
# 11
fastelvis
fastelvis
01/16/2005 11:18 am
I think the most of the Schecter's are pretty solid for the dough. Stick with the non-trem, string thru variety for the best tone and sustain, no matter what style you're playing. Nice necks but a little light in the body for my tastes. Go 24 frets.

Shop. Shop patiently. You will find varying degrees of quality among the same manufacturer and model. Good things come to those who wait. As (I think) Pony said, "You get what you pay for." That should be true but it is your responsibility to ensure you do.

My 2.16 cents on pickups (prices went up 8%): Active pickups are noisy, augment pick attack (along with every other noise), require a battery, and are a pain in the *&^%. Ask yourself, why does this guitar need pickups with more output to sound good? Why do I? If you shove a Hemi in a Volkswagon, it will be really fast but handle like crap. I have a LP that sounds great with PAF's cranked. My Robin sounds excellent with Duncan Black Backs. So does my Epi LP. Want metal? Want punk? Want clean (with some spunk)? It's not in the PU's. Just be sure they are good ones. Eddie VH says, "Let the amp do the work."

Is it the AMP?????????? Sticking with what you got or planning a change? Don't expect a great guitar to make a bad amp sound good, or visa versa. Beginners can pick up a Peavey Bandit 112 (on a limited budget) and move forward. This has been many a guitarist's vehicle to improvement. It takes away the "blaming your sound on your amp" and allows you to concentrate on technique and connecting with your guitar. True, no tubes, but for most teeth cutters, this is all you need (I still have mine from 1982ish). Become one with the axe, stackhopper.
I once thought a "Sweeping Arpeggio" was an Italian janitor.
# 12
songsmith1950
songsmith1950
01/16/2005 4:16 pm
The Schecters that are made with basswood bodies are, like basswood from other manufacturers, neck heavy. That is only the lowest price ($299) models.

The non basswood models actually have a really good balance to them and are very sturdy.

The Zachary does look good but I would hate to have that attitude handling my warranty issues.

Best bet is Guitar Center. Try it for up to 30 days and if it isn't right take it back.

Still think the Schecter would be your best bet.

Songsmith
# 13
Kutzki
Kutzki
01/17/2005 2:38 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOnegood points. you can have a $10,000-20,000 custom Benedetto or D'Angelico (WTF is it with Italians and high end guitars??? Benedetto, D'Angelico, DiMarzio, DiPinto... and us Jews have a stranglehold on the metal guitar market: Steinberger, Kramer, Schecter...) but play it through one of those $125 Marshall 10-watters and it'll sound only slightly better than a bottom of the barrel Guitar Center generic $250 semihollow. play a decently built Epiphone through a Mesa Dual Recto or Vox AC30 and said $10,000 uberguitar through the teeny marshall and the former will sound better.

the only good amp in that range IMHO is the Vox Pathfinder, of which I have one.

putting a hemi in a Volkswagen will make it handle like crap (5.7l iron block V8's, but putting individual throttle bodies and a full manifold-back 2.5in exhaust will open the thing up and make it do think you didn't think were possible to do (i'm saving for an ITB conversion on my 6cyl Jetta but no one has made a manifold yet, so, i get to have one custom CNC'ed!!! yay!!! let's hear it for paying down the cost of development for others!!! :mad: ). You can do a similar thing with your guitar by putting in higher resistance pots: 500k's or 1meg's if you really want to go balls out.

the king made a good point on output; higher output does not necessarily equate to better tone. my Kramer has four-blade pickups stock; basically, two small humbuckers put together to form one uberhumbucker. they have inoridnately high output, but, their tone sucks, it's totally devoid of interesting voicing or anything like that. i'd take a low output PAF over an active setup an day of the week.

number one dude i am jewish hehe
ok onto more important business "You can do a similar thing with your guitar by putting in higher resistance pots: 500k's or 1meg's if you really want to go balls out."
what does that mean exactly....
k maybe this will help you understand were my equiment stands
a eupiphone bolt on neck les paul not sure about the pickups but they are pretty bad
even before i sanded down the neck and body i cant play certain notes on the higher frets without making the action crazy high which i need, i used alot of hammer ons and i dont wana work for it i mean i really gotta take up the action and thats not cool
i seriously love my unfinished neck (i just shaved the body cus its a heavy mofo hehe)
anyways my amp is a marshall its 15 watts with four effects i forget the name of it but its not a bad amp
i need some more power thou
i was hopen i wouldnt havta replace that so fast but i have been playin for 3 years and i am starten to really get tapping and arpegious and triples o you gota love them triplets and blues is nice and all but its not that technique
o ya my toggle on my guitar is messed and my pcikguard fell off hehe so its dieind so i dono how much longer i can wait so hehe as much advice as possible please and if you think my neck needs to be straightened i ggot it straightened last week
still can play them notes on the higher frets
anyone know if i can find that cossy unfinished neck i got on my axe? k guys thanks for the advice i will check the schecters out more
# 14
fastelvis
fastelvis
01/17/2005 7:24 am
Kutzuki:

Leaving the neck wood bare can be a problem. Changes in humidity will alter the shape (although they do feel great). This neck could become bowed in or out, or even worse, twisted.
Should use a neck oil on it per manufacturers directions (like the Peavey EVH Wolfgangs), or better yet, go with a thin coat of clear poly varnish. Same for the body (could use clear laquer there).

If string buzz gets introduced as you move up thru the higher frets, and eventually the notes don't even appear, the neck is probably bowed and/or twisted. (also make sure the strings are not contacting the neck pickup or mounting ring). Here's a few easy ways to check the neck:

1. LIGHTLY fret the low E on the first or second fret and with your right hand, lightly fret it on 20. If there is a gap between the E string and any of the middle frets (5-18), the neck is bowed outward (the most common neck flaw). Careful-Fretting too hard will create a gap. If there is not a gap, lift the finger on #20 and see how far up you have to lift it before the string lifts off the middle frets. If it is more than a 1/32" or so, the neck is bowed inward. Either case requires a truss rod adjustment. Bowed inward - Loosen the rod 1/4 turn. Bowed out - tighten 1/4 turn. Give it a day or so to settle in, then recheck. NOTE-Depending on the truss rod - the adjustment could be the exact opposite. There are some odd ones out there.

2. Straight edge - My preferred method. Get a metal straight edge of some sort like a carpenters framing square or some 1"x1/8" flat iron from the hardware store. Make sure the edge is long enough to reach from #1 fret to top fret. With the guitar up on a table, strings off, lay the straight edge on the neck (not flat, on its edge) like where the E string would be, starting at fret one (not on the nut). Each fret should contact the edge. Gap=bowed out, if it rocks on the middle frets (gap at #1 and #22), its bowed in. If some frets are higher than others, you need to have the fret leveled and re-crowned. Slide the edge to position where each string would be. Make notes of the frets that change, more gap less gap, etc. Changing gaps means a fret level is in order.

3. Twist - An easy visual check. Holding the guitar out in front of you, neck pointed away, pretend your eyes are a string, looking down the neck from the bridge to the nut. Really get down close to the body. You should be able to tilt the neck up and down and see the level of the frets. As you tilt the neck up, each fret should appear (completely) like they are stacked on top of each other. If either of the edges (left-low E, right-high E) of the lower frets do not show completely, the neck is twisted. Same for the upper frets. Neck twist is a bear to deal with and if severe, usually means trashing it. Usually, the frets would need to be removed and the fretboard re-leveled.
I once thought a "Sweeping Arpeggio" was an Italian janitor.
# 15
blueslickin
blueslickin
01/18/2005 9:07 pm
man listen here the gibson les paul is a very nice crisp guitar,.. capable of doin alot with this guitar from blues to shedding man its awesome :cool:
# 16
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
01/18/2005 10:28 pm
Maybe im crazy for tihnking this, but dont some people intentionally have their necks slightly bowed one way or the other for playability pruposes?
# 17
Kutzki
Kutzki
01/19/2005 5:43 am
Elvis dude
those tips just made my guitar!
thank you so much! :)
i turned it on 1/6 thou
i asked a proffesinal he said the bolt on les pauls cant take so much preasure and i gota check it every once and a while so i shouldnt tighten it as much anyways
so i am hitten those high notes
the neck is unfinished and feelin fine
now i got a diffrent question ppl
whats the deal with my humbuckers
by replacing them with that change the sound completely?
and is it adviced to get gibsons for my eupi
just to stick with the same family or go duncan
k guys thanks for all the advice
i may go with a gibson just i got some more time now that my guitar isnt falling apart :eek:
i mean gibsons here in canada are 2000 (canadian) at least and i dont work, i am still in highschool, and this guitar really ant bad
may just get a big amp and some more distortion ok guys ROCK ON!!!!!
and thanks a bunch
o ya this is my first successful thread hehe that i started that is
k thanks a lot guys
you guys rule
k
PEACE
# 18
metalfaithfull
metalfaithfull
01/20/2005 4:40 am
try looking at these sites

www.jacksonguitars.com

www.espguitars.com :cool:
# 19
jrogers
jrogers
01/20/2005 2:41 pm
Crazy Guy, you mean the screws in the claw right? What effect will this have on my strat? I recently added 2 springs. It seems to feel better but this is subjective.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.